Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Threesome

Well, I did it. I did it!!!! Went off the deep end and had a threesome with Ben and Jerry (New York Super Fudge Chunk).

What I don't get, is that I can not eat meat unless it is ground meat, I can eat firm tofu in small pieces can not eat fresh veggies at all...

But a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's went down with NO PROBLEM!!!

Would really LOVE it if someone would give me an exact menu on what I should be eating. This firm Protein and veggies does not work for me until dinner time!!! (and sometimes not even then).

***I did have a safe threesome... I used a plastic spoon.:lol:

I totally bought that too! But I ate like 3 bites, ended up puking my guts up! So no more, lol, I guess it was a sign from God, but OMG it was good!

1) What exactly CAN you eat? Listing only healthy stuff.

Protein: Ground meat (any kind) with sauce is best or in stew/chili, shredded chicken in sauce (sometimes). Tofu.

Veggies: Beans (sometimes), Cooked and pureed: squash, mushrooms, onions, cauliflower, cabbage, potatoes. Sometimes salad.

2) How MUCH are you eating, how OFTEN? I have a Protein shake for Breakfast. Eat lunch around 11:15, which is often something mushie so I do not get sick at work. Have found two pieces of Tofu, 4 oz, works really well, and I will fill up one of those little 4 oz containers with something mushie if I have something made. Did get one of the Lean Cuisine dinners down once for lunch. dinner is at around 5 which is when I am the least restricted and eat everything I can. How much I eat depends on what I am eating. I can get the whole pint of B&J's down, 4 oz of shredded bbq chicken (what I had for dinner), or something similar. But more often I am not a good girl because I am hungy. So I added another question:

3) What have you been eating and how much? Now you know I am going for the easy stuff because I am trying to avoid pain... I can eat chips, ice cream, Cookies, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and love pureed New England clam chowder. I can eat a half a pack of stuffing, the whole can of pureed chowder, three Cookies, a cup of chips, and a whole pint of ice cream. All at different times of course, and mostly at night since I am restricted in the mornings.

4) WHY exactly ARE you eating? I am not really hungry in the mornings, but I drink my Protein Shake to get my Protein in. By lunch I am getting hungry, but have to grab something fast because of my 25 minute break. By dinner I am light headed, ready to attack everything... and often do.

Now I swore to myself when I got this band that I would not try to "cheat the band". I knew then that I would have to make the correct food choices for this tool to work. But living with the band has brought about another attitude. You learn rather quickly when to stop eating, you learn what foods to avoid, but when the stuff you should be eating hurts you what do you do? I, sadly, cheat.

My mushie casserole gets old after a while. (Mushie casserole: garbonzo Beans, tofu, squash, cauliflower, garlic, and onions pureed with a little butter and salt). My chili is good, but again, gets old after the first few days even if I doctor it up differently each meal. BTW: I can eat about a cup of my chili, can eat a Wendy's chili, and can eat about the same amount of my mushie casserole.

I just wish it was easier. Sometimes I can eat something, the next day I can not eat anything, then some days I am wide open. All this with no fill change.

Would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Sheeesh! A whole pint of ice cream?!?!?

You received a list from your surgeon or nutritionist about what to eat and what not to eat.

No one goes into this band surgery without any instructions. Surely there is something they give you as a guide to go by.

Thank you Jack. I am going to follow the "Jack Diet" and see if that levels me out. Will make a list and hit the Kroger. Unfortunately, the life of a public school teacher does not allow time for Snacks, but I am going to try and sneak them in during passing periods. Maybe if I slice up the cheese stick, I can sneak a bite here and there too.

Telly, my pre surgery guide says "1/2 cup hard Protein and 1/4 cup vegetables, carbs after that" and Myocel shakes for Protein supplement. They say three meals only. Believe me, I have tried to be a good girl... I KNOW what needs to be done, and I am trying. That is why I asked for help.

Ok, I am back from my Kroger trip armed with the following items:

coffee

Cheese: Muenster, Havarti with dill, Provalone

Meat: Deli ham, turkey, beef, Raw shrimp, ground meat

Crackers: Wasa Fiber Rye

Fruit: Kiwi, Strawberries

Veggies: mushrooms, cauliflower, avacado, Tomato, onion

Misc: Tofu, Holy Shredded Wheat (original, could not find enriched), Soy Milk, Water. V-8 juice (could not find carrot)

Figure I will make a shrimp salad and mince the heck out of it, serve with avacado/tomato for lunches. Bag up a slice of cheese wrapped in meat for Snacks. Will try the Cereal for lunch, may have to blend it, but that will work too.

I tried a Wasa cracker when I got in, which was quite good with a slice of Havarti on top, went down with no issue this afternoon.

Actually forgot about the world of cheese, but I do enjoy the stuff, and it seems to go down ok.

Thanks again for the ideas. If you think of any more band friendly items I am willing to try them!

Wow all of the foods on your list sound delicious and very healthy. You did great!

Lots of unhealthy foods will go down easy -- just because you can eat them doesn't mean that you SHOULD. The band helps you stop overeating, sadly, it doesn't make good food choices for you.

Funny, I have a 2nd grader. I must direct his every move, or he will lie to get out of homework, pretend he is sick to skip soccer practice, and nearly lose an ear rather than wash behind it... so I understand totally.

My problem as the "Ditzy Art teacher" is that I need clearly defined instructions on things that are not creative. If the state did not have a list of things required for me to do, we would be off task making paper mache messes and splatter painting the walls...

Unfortunately, this band does not have clearly defined guidelines. Everyone is different, every body handles things differently, and food and the eating way of life has been changed forever.

Posted a good fishy receipe that works though. Shredded wheat does not work in the morning, but may be a great after dinner snack.

Guess my teaching philosophy will convert to my lapband philosophy too.

"Modify and Adjust".

Jack - I could read your responses all day - you have a lot to say and say it wonderfully... Thanks for educating us all in your own special way!

think of the acronym HOPE. high fiber...35grams daily

Omega 3 2grams daily

probotics...6 billion daily

enzymes 1 with every meal

i eat the new oatmeal that has high Fiber. plus i eat a salad everday.

try yogurt without sugar for probotics. flax seed oil and salmon for good fats. you can buy papaya enzymes at health food store. our bodies as we age dont make enough digestive enzymes. we need amylase to break down fats. protease and amylase for starches . check the label. the best way to get enzymes is live foods. apples and berries etc..... try to drink Protein Shakes. you need 60 grams of Protein. if you work out a lot you need more. also my doctor, dr. romero has me take l-cartanine. an amino acid that helps to metabolize fats . drink lots of Water. if you take a fiber suppliment dont use psyllium. use oat bran . all organic if you can too. i eat only when im hungry. i have to eat really slow. i eat a lot of fish and salad. i try not to eat junk , but i have had a bit of ice cream too, good luck.

Poodles..you made my mornig with the threesome story...cute!!!!!!!! Jack as always you are a wealth of information and so fun to read! I am not banded yet...just a few more days... but this is so good to know. I have been doinfg lots of research and have tried to eat in the last few days as if I was banded...hoever it is hard when you are not because i am always hungry! I do however have some suggestions....

If you can find unsweetened almond mild where you live (Whole foods, trader Joe's) or health food stores...it is simply delicious!! Better than soy milk and with lots of Protein.... anyway...use almond milk vanilla or chocolate, add Stevia a natural sweetner...no artificial stuff... and your favorite frozen fruit, put in the blender not too much almond milk just add slowly ubtil you reach the consistency of a very thick shake that you can eat with a spoon....makes a yummy ice cream substitute, healthy and delicious! It has good Protein already, but if you are in need of more you can add some powedered protein to it. You can get stevia in liquid drops or little packets. a little goes a vry long way!!!!!!!

Take care!