Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Liquid Pre Surgery Diet? Is This Normal?

I got very lucky! I didn't have to do an extended liquid diet. I only had 1 day before surgery on liquids and nothing after midnight the night before surgery. I also didn't have to do a swallow test.

My diet was to stay below 40 carbs a day for two weeks, no food after 6 the night before surgery. I chose to consume mostly wine for those weeks so it was sort of a liquid diet....

OK I also had steak :P But really, it was easy compared to the liquid diets. Don't complain LOL

I was required to do Optifast ONLY for 1 week. I knew that would be really tough, so I did it for 2 weeks, just incase I fell off the wagon to start with. Really glad I did the extra week because it mentally prepared me for post op. I was already used to nothing but Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes so the 3 weeks post op before I started purée was easy. (And I did fall off the wagon in that first week, I felt so lethargic, hungry and had headaches, but once I got used to it, everything was fine. Would hate to go through food withdrawal symptoms at the same time I was recovering from surgery)

I am on day 3 of a 2 week liquid only diet prior to surgery on Nov. 15th. I am having food cravings like crazy. They say day 2 and 3 are difficult, then it gets easier. I hope so.

I am on day 3 of a 2 week liquid only diet prior to surgery on Nov. 15th. I am having food cravings like crazy. They say day 2 and 3 are difficult' date=' then it gets easier. I hope so.[/quote']

Here here! My surgery is the 14th and this liqujd only stinks!

Every doctor is different and their guidelines vary greatly. My doctor bases the pre-op diet on one's BMI. Having a high BMI meant 10 days of the pre-op, which is very restrictive. 3 Protein Shakes a day, 2 cups of broth, 2 cups of raw leafy veggies or 1 cup of cooked greens. Of course, I can have all of the Water I want as we'll as Crystal Light. That's it!! It is definitely hard, but I am 50 years old (almost 51) and I want to do all I can for my body to respond well to surgery and recovery. The pre-op diet is essential in helping shrink the liver so that the doctor can better access the stomach. That's why I'm doing my best to be compliant. But, with that said, I'm praying that the 14th comes QUICKLY!!

I had my surgery Nov 1st- the day before I was supposed to fast after midnight and try to have a clear liquid diet during the day. I cheated...knowing what was ahead of me...all went very well..I am not even a week out and down 20 lbs. Good luck.

What's a swallow test???

What's a swallow test???

They make you drink this liquid that can be seen on the x-ray and they film while you are drinking to make sure nothing gets stuck.

My only instructions are to fast from midnight. He said that my BMI was not high enough to cause him to think I needed to do a pre-op diet. I also don't have to do a swallow test....phew!

Who was your doctor?

My surgery is scheduled for Nov 7th, my surgeon did not put me on a liquid diet for an extended period of time-is this normal? The only instruction I was given was to stay on a high Protein & low fat diet , then 2 days before only liquids..and nothing after midnight the night before. Is this normal? It seems everyone else is on some kind/version of the liquid diet. Did this happen to anyone else? I was thinking about just putting myself on a liquid diet(For the week) anyway... I want the best results possible. What do you all think? What would you do?

Thanks in advance!!

Dannysgil2003

Mine didnt put me on liquid diet either. He put me on Clear Liquids the two days before surgery and the two days after surgery.