Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Bra

Surgery scheduled three weeks from now. What kind of bra should I take to wear post surgery? I am well endowed, by the way. Would a Cotton pull over sports bra be too difficult or painful to put on? How about a sorts bra that zips up the front?

Surgery scheduled three weeks from now. What kind of bra should I take to wear post surgery? I am well endowed' date=' by the way. Would a Cotton pull over sports bra be too difficult or painful to put on? How about a sorts bra that zips up the front?

[/quote']

My incisions Wernt very high up although I didn't wear a bra in the hospital or even a few days after discharge. About 5 days post op I started wearing a regular bra with underwire. A sports bra should be fine although every one is different every surgery is different and some people have incisions higher up that others. I didn't.

I went without a bra for about a week after surgery. It was a little difficult to put one one & I didn't want to irritate incisions.

I tried wearing my underwire, but it really did irritate one of my incisions. Though it did not get infected or leak, it was angry and red for weeks. Do you have a big sweatshirt? Maybe you can wear that home from the hospital and try going without one for a few days. It is the same with pants (for me at least). If your waistband is hard or tight, it can irritate an incision if it overlaps or rubs against it. All of my incisions had surgical glue (no stitches, no drains). Yesterday I wore a loose pair of jeans, but the button and waist rubbed against my lower incision all day and it was slightly infected when I got home (I'm 6 weeks out) so I'm wearing something super soft today. Try to have as little contact against your new incisions as possible to allow them to breathe and heal.

I don't know about you but being well endowed myself the number one thing I wanted to do post op is put my bra back on so as soon as I was out of recovery I was putting on a sports bra! It wasn't painful and not to much trouble I did have dh there to help me sort things out though. I'd advise against the zippered front just incase you do have high incisions..( one of mine is high and direct center) maybe find the softest loosest one then that'll still give you that little bit of coverage

I went to Walmart and got a sports bra that I wore starting the day after surgery. I used to be... I think a 44H if I remember correctly. The Walmart bra really didn't fit, but I got it because it worked well enough and it was cheap. I hear they also have the genie bra and and there might be a large enough size depending on how large you need it. I just wanted something as cheap as possible because I knew it wouldn't fit for more than a few weeks.

After six months I am down to a 36 DDD, which is a major improvement! I can't wait to be able to get a lift.

I am one week post op and usually a 42DDD. I have not worn a bra since surgery... Just big T shirts or sweatshirts... I have post op this afternoon, and do not intend to wear a bra!

I had my surgery 4 1/2 months ago and my incisions were very high up so I couldn't wear any other bra but the genie bra from wal mart, it was a wonderful feeling on the incisions and it didn't hurt.

I wore a bra when I went home from the hospital, I am very self conscious about my boobage, and was afraid my nipples would show through my shirt, or God forbid they peek from the bottom of my shirt. :o I had a hook in the front bra and it didn't bother my incisions, I have about 6 incisions and one is under my boob. I can no longer fit that bra (56/F) I had to go to wal mart and pick up a few bras, I was surprised to fit a 46 sports bra. I just use the sports bra for extra support over some of the smaller bras I already had. I'm not investing in any really good bras yet, I may give it a few months.

I wore a night gown and robe to the hospital. Cause I knew when I came home I would be in those comfy clothes for a few days. Also I was glad I had my robe to wonder the cold hallways.

Didn't wear a bra for 4-5 days after surgery. However when I did I put a band aide on my one incision.

I am well endowded and aside from sleeping don't go without a bra ever. I bought a lose fitting sports bra (two actually) and had no difficulty putting it on. I'd advise against the front closure. you won't have trouble with your upper body (putting on a bra) but an incision, even a small one is likely right near the center of your lower bra area and that thickness might cause you pain.

When I went in for the second surgery I did end up buying bras from the old country store that had front closures. I couldn't wear the sports bra because I had a hole under my chest right where they hit so I needed that deeper front portion (I called them granny bras). When I had the tubes in my chest I couldn't wear a bra and let me assure you...there is no shirt or hospital gown big enough for me to feel comfortable without a bra so I know your concern! I found the slip on sports bras to be a godsend the first week or two...heck even longer...I wasn't wearing a regular one until after the second surgery and I had to remove the underwires from that.

I would advise using gauze pads and bandaids over them if you have to wear clothing that is rubbing on any incision. You don't need that kind of complication when you are trying to heal.

I'm scared of those genie bras... I don't know if my G's are gonna fit in them.... but I'd like to get a couple. I can't be going around bra-less. It's just not recommended for anyone, plus I am supersensitive and that's just annoying unless it's grown up time!

I'm scared of those genie bras... I don't know if my G's are gonna fit in them.... but I'd like to get a couple. I can't be going around bra-less. It's just not recommended for anyone' date=' plus I am supersensitive and that's just annoying unless it's grown up time![/quote']

Mine were G's as well :) I will look when I get back home in a few hours and tell you what brand of sports bra I was using hun. They held me firmly but didn't hurt to wear. I really liked them and bought then dirt cheap at Ross's I think. You could probably find them online.

I wore the GenieBra after surgery. They are really comfortable and cheap. 2 for $19.99 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

I saw those when I was in there shopping on Saturday but wasn't convinced that DDs would get enough support.