Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Hi all!

My name is Monica and I was banded on Nov. 7 by Dr. Aceves the same time as Angela T. She referred me to your group so here I am! After a rough start including IVs I am right where I should be and following my week 3 diet and including some thicker liquids. I found these awesome cartons of Soup at Whole Foods by Imagine. They are "creamy" purees without any dairyand all organic. Only 90 calories per serving and delicious. I work as a chef, so I can assure you that they taste good!

DOB 11/7/06

Highest Weight 225

Surgery Weight 217

Current Weight 195

One thing I've noticed, that I think we all should pay attention to, is the immediate concern following surgery about weight loss. Hi prbrooksie, don't worry you are not alone. This has been a recurring theme, from what I've seen.

We all must remember that the first six weeks after surgery should all be focused towards healing. I know that after a few days (give or take a couple) everyone begins to feel better and you're ready to roll. However, feeling better and being healed are two different things. Surgery, no matter how "minor" it is, is still traumatic for the entire body. Everyone is going to respond to it differently. On top of this, you've just added a foreign body to the mix. Your internal system is still trying to figure out what the newcomer is, and what it's all about.

I said all of that to say this... Until your body has fully adjusted to the changes, and has had an appropriate time to heal, any weight loss that you have is a bonus! Everyone will respond differently. Some will shed weight, some will hold steady, while some may even gain a pound or two. It will all depend on how your body reacts to the trauma...

So, if you are dropping weight left and right, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've won the jumbo bonus prize...

If you've lost a few pounds here and there, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've won the secondary prize...

If you haven't lost anything, or even gained a pound or two, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've crossed over into lapbandville, where everyone is a winner. Take your time and look around. Get to know your neighbors. Because in time (whether its a slow crawl or sprint) your weight loss is going to happen, and in the end we'll all be in the same place. A much smaller one. ;)

Chris

Hey guys,

I went to my doctor after 1 week from my surgery date. My doctor told me not to get discouraged if I don't loss any weight from the 7th through the 14th day after my surgery. He said it is normal. He said that I have won the weight loss game if I don't gain any weight. The body will fight to get back to the weight it was before the surgery because the weight loss was so fast and basically only due to barely eating. Your body also takes time to readjust itself. So, don't get discouraged. If you aren't gaining you are a winner.

Hi all!

My name is Monica and I was banded on Nov. 7 by Dr. Aceves the same time as Angela T. She referred me to your group so here I am! After a rough start including IVs I am right where I should be and following my week 3 diet and including some thicker liquids. I found these awesome cartons of Soup at Whole Foods by Imagine. They are "creamy" purees without any dairyand all organic. Only 90 calories per serving and delicious. I work as a chef, so I can assure you that they taste good!

DOB 11/7/06

Highest Weight 225

Surgery Weight 217

Current Weight 195

Hey Mon, Welcome! I guess all that not being able to eat really worked for you@@ YOU ARE UNDEr 200!!!!!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: 200!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2 Hope you are feeeling better. The surgery made my MS symptoms come out and I can brelay walk....I hope they leve soon!

Take care...you are doing great!

One thing I've noticed, that I think we all should pay attention to, is the immediate concern following surgery about weight loss. Hi prbrooksie, don't worry you are not alone. This has been a recurring theme, from what I've seen.

We all must remember that the first six weeks after surgery should all be focused towards healing. I know that after a few days (give or take a couple) everyone begins to feel better and you're ready to roll. However, feeling better and being healed are two different things. Surgery, no matter how "minor" it is, is still traumatic for the entire body. Everyone is going to respond to it differently. On top of this, you've just added a foreign body to the mix. Your internal system is still trying to figure out what the newcomer is, and what it's all about.

I said all of that to say this... Until your body has fully adjusted to the changes, and has had an appropriate time to heal, any weight loss that you have is a bonus! Everyone will respond differently. Some will shed weight, some will hold steady, while some may even gain a pound or two. It will all depend on how your body reacts to the trauma...

So, if you are dropping weight left and right, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've won the jumbo bonus prize...

If you've lost a few pounds here and there, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've won the secondary prize...

If you haven't lost anything, or even gained a pound or two, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've crossed over into lapbandville, where everyone is a winner. Take your time and look around. Get to know your neighbors. Because in time (whether its a slow crawl or sprint) your weight loss is going to happen, and in the end we'll all be in the same place. A much smaller one. ;)

Chris

Thanks Cgris, I really needed to hear this...I have bot lost more weight...but I have not gained it either so I guess I'm good...besides I know I am not healed yet because my MS symptoms came back...so that means mt body is off balance... Thanks for the reminder I was feeling kind of blue with everything!

Well I'm off to Ft. Lauderdale tonight - I have to check in at the hospital at 5:30 am. I was really nervous this morning but reading all the posts has really helped.

I'm curious - I've been reading the posts about the gas pains - did everyone's doctor have them take a laxative the night before? I'm curious if this will help with the gas pains?

I filled all my prescriptions yesterday. Did anyone else take Darvocet? Did it help? Also, I'm going to be on Pepcid, potassium, sleeping pills, and a suppository for nausea. Is all this normal?

Thanks!

My doctor had me on a liquid diet one week before. They gave me a patch to put on my neck the night before for nausea. My surgery was at 7:30am and I was home by 1pm. Yes you will have gas pains, get up and walk as soon as you can and let it out. Don't be embarrassed to let it go. In the hospital, home or whereever. You will feel so much better. The gas pains passed by the 4th day. I still have gas but it doesn't hurt. I didn't take anything for gas. I did have liquid oxycodone for pain and did use it. Lot of swelling in the abdominal area. I slept on the couch for a few nights because the bed was to hard and it was hard to lay flat. Good luck tommarrow.

Well I'm off to Ft. Lauderdale tonight - I have to check in at the hospital at 5:30 am. I was really nervous this morning but reading all the posts has really helped.

I'm curious - I've been reading the posts about the gas pains - did everyone's doctor have them take a laxative the night before? I'm curious if this will help with the gas pains?

I filled all my prescriptions yesterday. Did anyone else take Darvocet? Did it help? Also, I'm going to be on Pepcid, potassium, sleeping pills, and a suppository for nausea. Is all this normal?

Thanks!

I did not take any of those. They gave us something to sleep at the hospital and I brought chewable Gas X for gas...liquid tylenol for pain...that is it. Good luck!!

I have a correction to my previous post. I thought my next appointment was this Friday, but it isn't until the 13th of December. I still have 2 weeks to go.

Dani--My doctor did prescribe me Darvocet and Compazine. The Darvocet is a "heavy-duty" pill form pain killer, and the Compazine is another "heavy-duty" nausea preventor. The doc. also prescribed a "sea sickness" patch ( I forgot the name of it!) that I wore before I went to bed the night before the surgery. Thankfully, I did have little to no nausea, but I could feel it "bubbling" up so I am very happy that I had those meds. However, the heavy duty meds. really affected me, and I am very used to pain meds. being a chronic pain sufferer, but they left me feeling very very out of it. I also purchased liquid tyenol, but have not even cracked the seal yet. The dissolvable Gas X strip helped at times too!

Good luck on your trip, figuratively and literally! I hope all goes very smoothly for you! ;)

Hey everyone ...I was banded on Nov 3 and i think i only have lost that first week and a half i was drinking everything .....but that is ok ...but what i want to know is dont you all get tired of eveyone asking you how much have you lost ...and you have to say well nothing and that is normal until you get a fill and you dont get that for 6 weeks ...i sware kinda makes you feel like a loser and not a loser in a good way =) but it is the truth ya know ..i mean i am not sealing with pain in the left side of my body for nothing i know the weight loss is right around the cornnor but i wish everyone else would remember this ...

Ok just wondering if anyone else feels that way .....

Angela--I am very sorry to hear that your MS symptoms are resurfacing b/c of the surgery. Was this something that you were prepared for to happen? Sorry to hear that you are feeling blue, this will all be worth it though!

Chris--Thank you for your entry, it was very inspirational and oh so true! I think that we all really needed to hear it! It is so difficult when you have gone through so much and still do not see any changes, but you are so right about the healing phase!

Everyone-- Chin up! This will all be worth it! We havent put so much work into this darn thing for nothing, it is medically proven that we WILL lose weight! We can do it despite the slip up here and there! I hope that you all have a great day! :high5: ;) :cheer2: ;)

Hey everyone ...I was banded on Nov 3 and i think i only have lost that first week and a half i was drinking everything .....but that is ok ...but what i want to know is dont you all get tired of eveyone asking you how much have you lost ...and you have to say well nothing and that is normal until you get a fill and you dont get that for 6 weeks ...i sware kinda makes you feel like a loser and not a loser in a good way =) but it is the truth ya know ..i mean i am not sealing with pain in the left side of my body for nothing i know the weight loss is right around the cornnor but i wish everyone else would remember this ...

Ok just wondering if anyone else feels that way .....

OH OH OH..I totally agree. My dad, my friends, my mom ask me every day how much I have lost. And the left side thing...what is up with it? I have pain my left side too.

man i have more pain from this surgery than i did with my RNY ..It is crazy ...but that left sdie pain ...is better every day but dang it needs to go find someone to bother cause i am over it ...but i guess that dang port is still healing ....Well heal man ....LOL LOL

The receptionist here at work was eating Taco Bell today and I talked myself into a "last meal." After 2 weeks of Protein Shakes and yogurt. So I went a little overboard and I feel so sick! :sick What was I thinking???

It really wasn't even that good. I scarfed it so fast I barely tasted it at all.