Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

I started excercising! I can't believe it. AND I actually love it. I could just walk and walk and walk..... I also bought a ball thing to try out. I wonder if there is a weight limit for those things. In any case, perhaps it just took starting to get those excercise juices flowing!

It makes you feel so much better. I am a crab when I don't run and right now not running is really taking it toll. SUPER CRABY!

That is great that you enojoy it. You know if there is a limit it should say on the ball will vary from one ball to another. I know they use them in therapy for all size persons so I would think they have different weight limits on different ones. Seems to make sense? NO?

OK..I got my 2nd fill Tuesday. I thought I was going to be ok and I am hoping the first couple of days is just tighter. I can't eat! I am PBing...a lot. Not to sound rude and but here is what is happening... I cough...spit...choke and then a clear thick crap comes up. Not really much of the food. All I tried to eat was a baked potato and cream of wheat. I'm going to give it a couple more days. What do you guys think?

Yesterday i went to get my 3rd fill,but told the doc I was really feeling restricted. Food was constantly getting stuck. He told me to eat only an egg size of food . I was eating too much and that's one of the reasons I was BPing. Also my bites were to be the size of the tip my pinke finger no bigger. He also said to eat slow and let your stomach signal you that you are full 20 to 30 minutes. Plus I can eat later in the day what I can't in the morning. Since my band is really restrictive, I don't even bother to eat in the morning...Protein drink and juice for breakfast....soup or soft foods for lunch ...and pretty much anything within reason for dinner. Hope this helps.

I didn't get my fill yesterday, doc said I didn't need it. Which I'm glad cause I'm self pay. I also lost 5 pounds since my last fill yahooooo!!!!

Tom, I agree with you. I hate to excercise it does feel like torture. Kudos to you for having the discipline to do it. I'm not exercising , not there yet, congrats to you tho.....Kelley

OK. I realize I'm old, decripited and WAY out of shape but had no idea how much so until I actually tried to exercise. I thought the trainer's expectations were a bit lofty (over an hour workout when I haven't done any for YEARS), but was game.

I was to start with a 15 minute warm-up on any of the cardio-type machines. I went to a elipitical trainer, looked at it and totally forgot how to get the machine going. Went up to the trainer, she came back and got me started. (DUH! It's self-powered which means *I* needed to do something for it to do something.) Had the time set for 15 minutes. After about 4 I could really feel it. At 5, began to plan my funeral. At 6 thought I should call to have them start digging so got off the machine. My legs were wobbly and numb and I could hardly walk. I wobbled up to the desk and she was kind of surprised. (She did check the machine and somehow I was at an advanced level and she said it was probably the most rigorous of the cardio machines. Why she didn't suggest a more mild machine to start with, I don't know!) Any way, I did some stretching and spent 10 minutes on a recumbent bike. That wasn't too bad and I even increased the level a couple of times to get more resistance.

I was suppose to do the weight training on my lower body. When she saw I had to lift my legs to get them up to the plate (still burning from the elipitcal machine), she suggested we do the upper body instead. I did get through one set of 12 on all 7 machines. Was suppose to do two sets but wasn't going to happen. I hit the showers and drove home thankful that my first day in hell was over!

I don't hurt as bad this morning as I expected that I would. I'm planning on going back Monday (plan calls for twice a week with the weight training and can do extra cardio if I want - like that will happen!), but I'm also scheduled for a fill on Monday so we'll have to see if the old, weary body can handle both. And this weekend I get the pleasure of working outside in the freezing cold putting up fencing so my goats can come to the new place.

I have decided that surgery is MUCH easier than exercise. I'd gladly go under the knife anytime they want if it would get me out of formal exercise. I'm reasonably active but I still think it's not a fitness center but a torture center. I'm sure there's a dungeon somewhere with similar equipment!

Tom

Tom,

I'm ROFLMAO. As a side note, I would be VERY leary of a trainer who started me off with an exercise program that intense and knew I hadn't been working out. I would say try to do 20 to 30 minutes on a treadmill at a comfortable speed for you and then call it a day. If you opt for the elliptical, use the manual setting so you can control the intensity of the workout.

I didn't get my fill yesterday, doc said I didn't need it. Which I'm glad cause I'm self pay. I also lost 5 pounds since my last fill yahooooo!!!!

Tom, I agree with you. I hate to excercise it does feel like torture. Kudos to you for having the discipline to do it. I'm not exercising , not there yet, congrats to you tho.....Kelley

Well, hold the congrats until I make it more than once! I thought about going tonight to do some time on the treadmill or recumbent bike but decided that since I left a bit earlier this morning to pick up my new glasses, I'd come straight home so the dogs weren't locked up any longer than necessary. Little did I know that I would get exercise at home. My older dog, who stays loose in my bedroom with the door closed when I'm not home, got sick. Not sure if he ate something that didn't agree with him or what but he had some serious gastro-intestinal issues. I got to scrub the carpet in LOTS of places. It felt like a pretty good workout! The dog normally is fun loving and ready to play. He came in, crashed out on the bed and doesn't want to move. He's gone out a couple times but returns to the bed and just wants to be near me.

Tom

Tom,

I'm ROFLMAO. As a side note, I would be VERY leary of a trainer who started me off with an exercise program that intense and knew I hadn't been working out. I would say try to do 20 to 30 minutes on a treadmill at a comfortable speed for you and then call it a day. If you opt for the elliptical, use the manual setting so you can control the intensity of the workout.

I think the problem was that I started on the elipitical machine and it was too much. I managed the recumbent bike with no problem and did get through one set on each of the upper body machines. I was going to stop in tomorrow afternoon before I go to work for some treadmill or bike time but not sure I'll fit that in with the work I need to do on the barn.

The trainer went through each machine during orientation and we did find comfortable weights for each machine so I think it's a combination of her not realizing I really meant I was out of shape and me not knowing what I'm doing and picking something far too strenuous to start. She did tell me to take it easy and work my way up. DUH! I thought if I went during a different time of day, I might get a different trainer and a different view-point. I'll just take it easier on the warm-up and will just try for one set on each machine for a couple of weeks. They only had me doing weights twice a week and one time upper body, one time lower body. I might be able to do one set on each upper and lower in a day and do that twice a day, but will see how the body cooperates.

Tom

Congrats on the 5lbs kjojojr. I was wondering how it went for you. I can't wait to feel more restriction. Fill #2 in 2 more weeks.

Hi fellow November Bandsters!

Been away for awhile, so happy to see you all are doing so good!! yay!

I'm on the treadmill for 30 minutes everyday and I feel reallygreat!

I'm finally at the 100 more to go mark!! Lots of NSV too, clothes are fitting great and I know I look better in them:o How could I not?:tired

hey I did finally figure out why I wasn't losing weight, get this- I WASN'T EATING ENOUGH!! :faint:Jeez it took me 4 weeks to get that one learned- Gotta eat at least 1200 calories a day! I just started it and I've lost 4 pounds this week!! It's hard though I feel more hungry now than when I was eating only 500-700 calories a day. :mmph: Go figure that one!!

Anyhow I am getting my second fill on tuesday the 30th well see how that goes!

anyhow glad your all doing well! thought I'd keep in touch

karen aka kj

Hi fellow November Bandsters!

Been away for awhile, so happy to see you all are doing so good!! yay!

I'm on the treadmill for 30 minutes everyday and I feel reallygreat!

I'm finally at the 100 more to go mark!! Lots of NSV too, clothes are fitting great and I know I look better in them:o How could I not?:tired

hey I did finally figure out why I wasn't losing weight, get this- I WASN'T EATING ENOUGH!! :faint:Jeez it took me 4 weeks to get that one learned- Gotta eat at least 1200 calories a day! I just started it and I've lost 4 pounds this week!! It's hard though I feel more hungry now than when I was eating only 500-700 calories a day. :mmph: Go figure that one!!

Anyhow I am getting my second fill on tuesday the 30th well see how that goes!

anyhow glad your all doing well! thought I'd keep in touch

karen aka kj

KJ,

Congrats! How wonderful!!! I will try upping my cals a bit also!

Tom,

Hey, you should be able to do the elliptical if it is set right for you. It truly is an easy machine. If you get an elliptical with the handlebars that move, you can''t adjust the height of the steps. Try to get on an elliptical that has no moveable handlebars, that way you can either walk(more or less), and swith to a higher step which is more like climbing stairs. I repeat, do NOT get the machine that has the moveable handlebars, you have to work harder on that kind of elliptical.If you use the adjustable step kind, you can adjust the difficulty or resistance of the machine, making it more of a lope, or more of a walk, or even more of a run. But you can't do this with the ones with the moveable arms, at least not the ones I have seen. It is easier on the knees, because your feet never leave the footholder, you don't lift your feet off with each step, you leave them on and just use your power or weight to get them going. Now, if you have a lot of upper body strength, but your legs are sore or tired, you can use the one with the moveable arms, and actually USE your arms to help your legs up and around. You get a higher HR with the use of your arms also, so I have graduated to this type of machine now, but I started for only 6 or 7 minutes at a time on the other one. Good Luck, I hope I have helped you.

Kristi:tape:

Tom,

Hey, you should be able to do the elliptical if it is set right for you. It truly is an easy machine. If you get an elliptical with the handlebars that move, you can''t adjust the height of the steps. Try to get on an elliptical that has no moveable handlebars, that way you can either walk(more or less), and swith to a higher step which is more like climbing stairs. I repeat, do NOT get the machine that has the moveable handlebars, you have to work harder on that kind of elliptical.If you use the adjustable step kind, you can adjust the difficulty or resistance of the machine, making it more of a lope, or more of a walk, or even more of a run. But you can't do this with the ones with the moveable arms, at least not the ones I have seen. It is easier on the knees, because your feet never leave the footholder, you don't lift your feet off with each step, you leave them on and just use your power or weight to get them going. Now, if you have a lot of upper body strength, but your legs are sore or tired, you can use the one with the moveable arms, and actually USE your arms to help your legs up and around. You get a higher HR with the use of your arms also, so I have graduated to this type of machine now, but I started for only 6 or 7 minutes at a time on the other one. Good Luck, I hope I have helped you.

Kristi:tape:

Thanks, Kristi. I don't have a choice on which type of machine as they only have the ones with the movable arms. I don't believe the foot pads themselves are adjustable. I could adjust the resistance (it actually continually adjusts itself but I kept making it go back down), but think I'll stay off that one for a bit until I get more in shape. While I didn't feel it yesterday, I do today! The fronts of my calves really feel it. I was thinking of going in a bit early today and get in some time on the recumbant bike but will be passing. Didn't get much sleep last night with a sick dog so I'm already dragging. Wouldn't take a lot of convincing to not even go into work but I'm on the way.

Tom

Hellop November I am alittle late with this but I am new ti the board and I was banded on November 16,2006.

Starting weight 210

1/27/07 182

Hellop November I am alittle late with this but I am new ti the board and I was banded on November 16,2006.

Starting weight 210

1/27/07 182

Welcome!!!!!

Welcome ShaeBird!

:welcome2: ShaeBird!! You have joined a great group!!

And ANGELA.... great new picture!!! Now THAT is more like you!!!!!

:scared: Karen