Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Developed Acid Reflux Since Surgery?

So, my surgeon told me, going into this, that 10% of sleeve patients develop Acid Reflux.

I went off the Omeparazole last week after taking it for 5 weeks and as soon as I did, the reflux began. Looks like I am in the unlucky 10%.

I'm very happy with the surgery so it's a small price to pay, in my opinion. Anyone else developed reflux since surgery?

Five weeks? Are you kidding? The norm is 6 months to a year. It takes your body a long time to learn to make less acid than it's been making for years!

I was able to come off of omeprazole around 4 to 6 months out. I had to resume my pills for about a six week period shortly after I got pregnant, but I'm off them again and doing fine.

I did not develop long lasting acid reflux. It just takes our bodies a while to adjust, and five weeks isn't enough! Get back on those pills and try to take a day off between doses starting around 4 months to see how that works. You'll make yourself miserable and uncomfortable trying to live with the acid instead of treating it.

I think it's too early to know if you're one of the unlucky ones. Almost everyone gets to come off the pills eventually; of the people that didn't have reflux prior to surgery I've only seen a few here and there still on pills more than a year out. I'm no surgeon but I'd say 10% is a high estimate.

~Cheri

Guess I am one of the lucky ones, no acid problems as of yet, almost 6 weeks out. So grateful, my poor Mom suffered terrible with reflux most of her life. Hope you get passed this quickly.

My surgeon has warned me as well that most of his sleeve patients have some sort of acid issue, of varying degrees. He said that if I can live with the risk & possibly be on meds for quite a while, then sleeve was a good option for me. And that if I couldn't bear the thought, RNY eliminates reflux almost always. I'd still rather take a pill daily than have my intestines moved around...

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

Interesting - He had said 5 weeks was all you needed to take the pills for. I'll continue taking for 4 months and then try to go off. Thanks for the tip!

Yep, exactly what CLK said. And BTW you shoud NEVER just quit this suff cold turkey, it can cause acid issues to come back with a vengence, you should slack off maybe take one every other day for a month, then maybe one every 3 days for another, then see about stopping.

I find this all fascinating because I have been dealing with acid reflux for the past week. My doc didn't order me to take any meds at all. I've been going through some issues because of it and it sucks.

My doctor prescribed a whole year of Prilosec. I intend to stay on it for at least that long. At one a day, I have not had any issue with acid reflux that I know of. Knock on wood. The generic of Prilosec still costs a bundle over the counter, but I have seen the prices somewhat lower if you buy in bulk from costco. It is a huge supple! Good luck.

I had surgery in early January 2012 and it's off and on for me. I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it's related to specific foods or eating patterns. My guess is I take an OTC omeprazole 2-4 times per week but it wouldn't surprise me if I went as much as a week without needing any. I do take it in a reactionary mode these days.

lucky me...never had reflux - 2 months out and stopped taking the ppi about 3 weeks in.....didn't need it!!

lucky me...never had reflux - 2 months out and stopped taking the ppi about 3 weeks in.....didn't need it!!

You might keep it around though because you never know when a flare up might start. A daily PPI also helps people with perceived hunger issues. Not sure if it does for me, but I would not know because I have taken it since leaving the hospital.

I still have the pills - but I have to remind myself to eat as I'm hardly ever hungry...which is good and bad - if I didn't track everything on MFP I'd think I'd eaten more than I have for the day....I'll get the hang of this one day.... so I have no 'hunger' issues and no reflux at all - quite happy.

I realize this conversation was from a year ago, but I can't locate anymore recent talk. I am almost 14 months post op and having terrible acid/heartburn. I know tomatoes and alcohol contribute, but must I really give them up or take a pill? My surgeon never advised to stay on anything for heartburn or indigestion. About 6 months ago I had 4 attacks that were all pressure and felt like an elephant on my chest. Now it's just the acid and I cannot even sleep lying down. I've Zantac, but everyone on this thread seems to have better luck with omeprazole or Prilosec? Thanks for any advice as I'm finding it difficult to find talk for post op issues.

I have acid real bad after the surgery also and still have it every day. I take the omeprazole everyday. I get bad acid reflux even from Water. I am almost 8 months out. I had a Hiatel Hernia fixed when I got the sleeve, weirdest thing though I didn't have acid reflux before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using VST