Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm A Newbie! Filing Insurance In One Month

Hello!

My name is Jennie and I'm a teacher from Des Moines, IA. I started looking into WLS almost 18 months ago, and started the 6 month preparation process 3 different times, but had to abandon it twice because of confusion about whether or not I fit the criteria and then later because of a change in my insurance criteria. (I know that sounds really confusing-- and it was. It turns out that the second time I started, I would have been fine to continue, but my clinic misunderstood changes in the insurance criteria.)

Either way, here I am, just one appointment away from the last of my six month diet/nutrition appointments. Upon reviewing my chart, it seems that I actually will get credit for part of counseling that I did this spring, so I now only have one month until we submit to insurance, rather than 3. This has meant that I have a lot of pre-surg appointments that I'm now trying to crush into the next 4 weeks.

As you can tell, this has been a bumpy road so far, full of uncertainty. But now all seems to be falling into place. I hope to have the surgery in late December or early January. Many people have asked me if I'm scared to have the surgery, and I have to admit that it's a little scary. But what is even scarier, to me, is the idea of living the rest of my life 100 pounds overweight, and possibly having that like cut short because of my obesity. I'm 38 and I have three kids, ages 2-17. I want to be there for them at the most important points of their lives. And I want to feel like myself again. Though I've always faught my weight, the last 50 pounds, gained over the last 9 years, has really been my breaking point. To this day, when I pass a mirror, I'm still surprised by what I see there. I don't feel like a 250 pound woman. My mind feels vibrant and lively, but my body does not. I'm ready for my body to match my spirit.

So that's where I am today. I hope to learn from some of you and to follow your journeys even as I embark upon my own. I hope you all have a great day, and here's to your health.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I'm new too, just joined today. The receptionist at my Dr's office gave me the name of this site.

I am having my surgery on Monday. I am nervous, scared and excited all at the same time.

I am a type 2 diabetic and cannot wait until the day comes when I don't have to take anymore shots, and my A1C is normal!!!

I wish you the best of luck on your journey getting approve and on your road to a healthy life.

Thanks! And good luck to you with the surgery! You'll have to keep us posted. I stumbled upon this site, and I'm so glad I did. I have found that most people really don't get it, so it's nice to hear from people dealing with the same things.

But most of all, good luck! Be well and I'm sure that everything will be awesome!

Welcome JennieDK. I'm from Iowa too. Burlington area. Just like you I don't feel fat. I look in the mirror though and think wth! I wasn't always fat. It just slowly krept up on me til I got to here. Are you having your surgery done at Mercy? I'm hoping to go to U of I since its closer. I won't be done with my 6 month supervised diet til January. I'm having to switch from myhusbands insurance to mine thru work to get it covered. My biggest fear is going thru all of this and then not getting approved. Second biggest fear is a leak or stricture. Some of the people on here have been thru absolute hell. Then I look at some of the before and after pictures and wish I could get it done right this minute. Lol. Good luck in your journey and keep us updated.

Yes, I'm getting mine done at Mercy. I'm feeling better about the insurance aspect of things since I had a chance to sit down and chat with the girls in the office. I made me much more confident that I'm on track!