Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Calories Are You Eating?

I actually stopped losing as soon as I started soft foods :( The first week on liquids I lost 17lbs! I was so stoked. Even though I started eating soft foods I have not had ANY carbs except the few in broccoli and cheese. I was told this would cause faster weightloss by my surgeon. scale hasnt moved in two weeks. It makes no sense. Im worried I will have to go back on all Clear Liquids to lose additional weight. I have been doing a ton of article searching for info on this but every one's experience is so different its hard to find out why Im not losing.

It is completely normal to have a stall when your diet changes - INCREDIBLY common. Please have faith that if you stay on track the scale will begin to move again. I stalled at that same time for 5 weeks. Normal. (Frustrating. But normal)

I am five months out and eat 700 calories per day. I think I moved from 600 to 700 calories around 4 months out.

It should be completely unnecessary to move your diet backwards - your body just needs time to adjust.

Thanks ItsAllNew! It probally is an adjustment thing, thanks for the encouragment!!

I had surgery 6 weeks ago today. Typically, I get about 550-600 calories/day. I focus on Protein but also watch carbs. I don't watch fat much because the foods I eat just don't have enough fat to really worry about. Not sure how much I've lost - I'll weigh on Thurs. I'm wondering if maybe I should increase my protein a bit (I'm at least 60 gr/day now). Supposedly, at this stage, I should aim for 500-800 calories/day.

I think my nut said between 70 - 80 grams of protien for women, but not 100% sure, sorry!

My nutritionist told me not to focus on calories at all just to make sure I get 90-100gm of Protein each day and 64oz Water daily! I stopped losing about a week and a half post op and my scale even said I had gained weight (which is physically impossible) but this week I started soft foods and my calorie intake went up a little bit and I started losing again!

I'm 10 weeks post-op and I eat about 1,000 calories. Sometimes a lot less. Yesterday I ate a lot of carbs, so that took me out of ketosis (I could smell the difference). But it does take our body some time to get used to our diet change.

Are you exercising at all? That might help the scale move a little faster.

Have any of you been measuring inches rather then watching the scale? I have been at about the same weight for 3 weeks now and am almost 2 months out (3 week stall apparently according to my doctor). I measured my thighs, calfs, arms, waist, hips and neck and between 9/13/13-9/30/13 I had lost 11.5 inches overall. I just would have wished I measured myself before surgery. One pant size and two shirt sizes in a month and a half was a good achievement even though the scale wasn't moving. Just continue doing what you're suppose too and the scale will start moving again. I am going to start tracking my calories and Protein using the app LoseIt! just to start keeping myself honest and hopefully I will see the scale move again.

Have any of you been measuring inches rather then watching the scale? I have been at about the same weight for 3 weeks now and am almost 2 months out (3 week stall apparently according to my doctor). I measured my thighs, calfs, arms, waist, hips and neck and between 9/13/13-9/30/13 I had lost 11.5 inches overall. I just would have wished I measured myself before surgery. One pant size and two shirt sizes in a month and a half was a good achievement even though the scale wasn't moving. Just continue doing what you're suppose too and the scale will start moving again. I am going to start tracking my calories and Protein using the app LoseIt! just to start keeping myself honest and hopefully I will see the scale move again.

Have any of you been measuring inches rather then watching the scale? I have been at about the same weight for 3 weeks now and am almost 2 months out (3 week stall apparently according to my doctor). I measured my thighs' date=' calfs, arms, waist, hips and neck and between 9/13/13-9/30/13 I had lost 11.5 inches overall. I just would have wished I measured myself before surgery. One pant size and two shirt sizes in a month and a half was a good achievement even though the scale wasn't moving. Just continue doing what you're suppose too and the scale will start moving again. I am going to start tracking my calories and Protein using the app LoseIt! just to start keeping myself honest and hopefully I will see the scale move again.[/quote']

Interestingly even though my inches don't show a huge difference, I fit into smaller clothes. I have no idea how that works but that's what's happening.

Have any of you been measuring inches rather then watching the scale? I have been at about the same weight for 3 weeks now and am almost 2 months out (3 week stall apparently according to my doctor). I measured my thighs' date=' calfs, arms, waist, hips and neck and between 9/13/13-9/30/13 I had lost 11.5 inches overall. I just would have wished I measured myself before surgery. One pant size and two shirt sizes in a month and a half was a good achievement even though the scale wasn't moving. Just continue doing what you're suppose too and the scale will start moving again. I am going to start tracking my calories and Protein using the app LoseIt! just to start keeping myself honest and hopefully I will see the scale move again.[/quote']

Interestingly even though my inches don't show a huge difference, I fit into smaller clothes. I have no idea how that works but that's what's happening.

I don't know my calories in the liquid phase but in the soft food/mushy phase I averaged 600-900 calories a day. I'm on all solids now (almost 6 months out) and it's become easy to eat too many calories if it's not the right food. I try to stay in the 1000-1200 range, 70-90 g of carbs a day although I could bump it to 120, and 80-100 g of Protein.

I lost weight faster with more calorie intake. The low carb isn't hard for me because I don't feel good with bread, etc. I stalled once for 2 weeks when I started heavy exercise. When I went back down to moderate exercise the weight came off again. I figure it was a calorie deficit and I couldn't keep up at the time.

The weight will come off, it has to. Your body has to recalculate and figure out what is going on. Hang in there!

I'm 4 months post op, and this is the info my NUT gave me for what I should aim for as far as nutrition. I am usually right within these numbers.

Calories: between 800-1000 calories per day

Carbs: recommendations are 90 grams per day for patients 6 months post-op and 130 grams per day for patients greater than 1 year post-op. So I would say between 60 and 90 grams per day for you.

Fat: between 25 and 30 grams per day (mostly from healthy fats)

Protein: goal is a minimum of 65-70 grams per day

Sodium: less than 2000 mg per day

Sugar: less than 6 grams of sugar per serving (so if you are eating 3 meals per day, then you want to keep total sugars below 18 grams)

Also, remember that our weight will fluxuate. One week I will lose good, the next not at all, or a gain. But at the end of the month, it all evens out as a good loss. Also, our periods will make us retain Water weight, so that can account for some of the loss. My NUT also cautioned that eating too little in calories will cause your body to "hold onto the weight", so we need to make sure we don't eat too little.

I am eating 700-900 calories a day' date=' but do not really count them nor do I count carbs or fat. I do focus on counting Protein and try and hit about 125 gram a day. Weight loss has stabilized at around 4-5 lb a week, a little less than during month 1 and 2. I am currently at 3.5 months. I have not really been exercising since 2nd month.[/quote']

Andycharriss- im new to this- just sleeved a week ago, but may i ask, how in yhe world are you 125 g of protien- thats amazing!