Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have Any Complications Going To Mexico For Surgery

Just curious if anyone had any complications or words of wisdom they could pass on about having surgery in Mexico. I am planning to have my surgery in TJ first week of November and I am very nervous and scared of the unknown about having the surgery in Mexico. I wish I actually knew someone who had the surgery there. My husband thinks that there is a hoax and that everyone is posting good experiences about their surgeries because they are being paid too. I told him he was looney and crazy for thinking that. I just don't want to talk myself into not going thru with it.

I'm in the hospital pre op and so far have been quite pleased w everything. One of the ladies with me (we just met but both getting sleeved today), her husband was actually the one who researched and chose the surgery and company to go with. I felt that said a lot.

Nope. I went to Mexicali and had my done by Dr. Aceves. I would do it all over again tomorrow if I had to. He was absolutely wonderful from pre-op to post op. His driver picked me up from the San Diego airport and took me to the hospital for pre-op work, to my hotel that night, to the hospital the next morning for surgery, and then back to the San Diego airport after a few days post op.

I just hit my 1 year anniversay, am 15 pounds away from my goal and I am a size 10 down from a size 24. Good luck to you. Hope you feel better.

I was self pay in the U.S. I wish I would have done my research....I would have went to MX and saved ALOT of $$$$ After reading so many posts on this site regarding MX that are positive, I would have had no problem with it. In fact, I think the more popular doctors have so much more experience doing so many procedures, they may be better than some US docs who haven't done a bunch (if that makes any sense)

I am hoping my niece will go to Mexico and have this surgery also. The doctors take really good care of their patients because they want more patients to come. They are very protective of their Medical Tourism. :)

I was self pay in Mexico with Dr Aceves. He and all of his team are experienced, professional and kind. Two weeks out and no problems or complications. Everything from first contact to post op was very informative, excellent care, clean facilities, great transportation and accommodations - no problems from beginning to end. I would have paid double or more in the US or Canada. Very pleased with my choice. :)

I'm 21/2 weeks post o p and had my surgery down in puerto vallerta...the doctor and staff were absolutely phenomenal...no regrets and glad I did it!!

I had my surgery 8/31 with Dr Aceves. I was treated like a VIP from start to finish, the hospital was amazingly clean, and the staff was spectacular. I work with physicians and hospitals for a living, and the hospital I was in was cleaner than most of the ones I visit daily.

I had no complications or pain at all. I have a follow-up coordinator who answers my questions by email, usually within a couple of hours.

There are many great surgeons in Mexico, In my case, my insurance doesn't cover wls, and even if it did, my surgeon has done more sleeves than all the surgeons in my area combined. Feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions about the experience.

I had surgery August 9 with Dr Garcia in TJ and overall it was a great experience. I'm 2 months out and don't have any complications. This was the best thing I ever did and I knew before going it would be. My family was skeptical and thought they may stash drugs in me or take out an organ or maybe I would get to San Diego and picked up, robbed and left in TJ. My mind went through lots of worst case scenarios and I reassured my family it'd be ok, based on the same posts you probably read! It's really this awesome and safe (or at least in my case). And I'm not being paid by anyone either! Haha!

My sister and I were both sleeved on the same day by Dr Kelly. No complications what so ever. We have never felt better. I am wearing a size 10 now and 15# from goal. My sister is in a size 6! She always has to outdo me,lol.

Just curious if anyone had any complications or words of wisdom they could pass on about having surgery in Mexico. I am planning to have my surgery in TJ first week of November and I am very nervous and scared of the unknown about having the surgery in Mexico. I wish I actually knew someone who had the surgery there. My husband thinks that there is a hoax and that everyone is posting good experiences about their surgeries because they are being paid too. I told him he was looney and crazy for thinking that. I just don't want to talk myself into not going thru with it.

I was sleeved 8-30-12 in TJ Mexico I am doing great , I have no regrets on my choice to go to Mexico

I am also a Dr Aceves happy camper!! I had mine 8-21-12!! It was the best decision I have ever made!!! I wish I would have done it years ago!! Dr Aceves and his organization was outstanding!!

I had surgery the same day same doctor as Precious79707 and also no regrets. If you're hubby thinks it's a scam or if you just want to actually 'talk' to someone to ask questions, etc...send me a private message and I'll send you my phone #. I remember how nervous I was at first to cross the border so maybe talking to someone would help...who is your surgeon?

Hi - I'm a real person with a real job with a real family who had surgery in Mexico. ^_~ I also had some real concerns about going to Mexico. I live in Kansas so hopping over the boarder for surgery was a hugh leap of faith. I had my surgery in TJ with Garcia (my experience is posted in my profile) in April. No complications and I would do it again in a heartbeat! If my insurance had covered the surgery I def would have had it done locally.... And if the self pay cost was even close... Heck ya, would have had it done in my own back yard... But it wasnt. I am so glad that Mexico was an option for me. When you get back from Mexico in Nov and things go well, which I am sure they will, come back and post in this forum. You know how important it is reading real peoples experiences are. Is your husband going with you? Hopefully he is so that he can see first hand what it is like! He will be a believer as well! Best of luck!