Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blab To Everyone, Or "close To The Vest?"

This is a very good question and one I put a lot of thought into, pre-op and now post-op as well.

I chose to tell noone one at work. Just said I was going on vaca. I work with a lot of mean women. Of my 12 coworkers only one is a man. I probably don't have to tell you how bad it can get when anyone works with a bunch of women. The mean ones get the others going. It's sad actually. I just felt it was right. Maybe a bit ashamed I can't do it on my own. I went so far as to block ANYONE I know from my office building from seeing posts on my FB wall. So I had made my decision on the subject and that was that.

Well, postop (16days) its a completely different story. About a week ago it just came over me how proud I am of myself and my choice to do this. I go back to work tomorrow. I am not telling the world about it but if someone asks, I will tell them. Shoot, all I have to do is tell one woman and the whole office will know. And I am fine with it. I am proud of this choice. I live in my body and I am going to be more comfortable and healthy in it because of the decision I made to take control of a bit of my destiny.

This is not the easy way out, we all know this. Anyone who says so is just ignorant. Ignorant of the whole process. My family has come around. They have seen and witnessed my journey so far. They were skeptical at first but now see how much healthier I am going to be.

It's a completely personal decision only you can make. And don't be surprised if what you THINK you have decided preop changes postop. :)

You will be proud of yourself too. You just wait and see!!

Best of luck to you. Prayers for a successful procedure and painfree, quick recovery! :)

I have told WAY more people that I thought I would since I've been back. Only my husband and best friend knew prior to surgery because I didn't want people judging me or giving their "opinions" about going to Tijuana for the surgery. But...since I've been back, it's like my mouth just runs and I've told quite a few people...#1 because I'm so flippin' excited about the whole thing (28 lbs. in 3 weeks?? crazy!!) and #2 because I am that type of person who doesn't mind sharing if it can help someone else feel better about their decision. The only one who gave me any grief was my mom, but she was just mad because "what if something happened" to me? Other than that, I've received many kudos and supportive comments! I say do what feels best but don't let anybody else get down on you for decisions you make for your body and self. :)

The reason not to tell anyone??? The best reason is that it's none of their business. Your life, your surgery, your business.

I told my husband and sister and they are ULTRA supportive. Told a few at work (including my boss) and they are behind me 100%.

Sorry if I sound a little militant, but don't let the nay-sayers get to you!

I've been on the fence about this too. I haven't really told anyone other than family and my boss. I think the "what if I fail" thoughts and judgmental comments have kept me from telling friends, but I feel like once I am successful in losing weight I will be way more open about having the surgery!

I wish you all good luck on your weight loss journey! :)

Close to the vest for me. So far only my husband and my brother know...once everything is for sure, I will tell a handful of people. I just want this to be my decision and once it is all set or possibly done I will tell a few people. My biggest issue is that honesty is very important to me and I refuse to lie or bend the truth so it's the future questions that may bend my choice of who I tell the most.

It's really fascinating the range here. I'd have to say I'm probably most like member 'kmwheel.' I figured there probably wouldn't be much hiding it after the weight starts really dropping off. Maybe I'll tell people I ordered a tapeworm on the internet! :P

I too am a very private person. I have told only a few select people outside of my husband who is extremely supportive and my parents who are supportive but of course nervous and concerned. I actually got VERY upset with my mom yesterday when she told me she told my aunt who I 1) never see aside from weddings and funerals and 2) is the biggest blabber mouth on the east coast! I was FURIOUS... how dare she! She said she didn't know it was a "secret" and I reminded her that I said multiple times I wasn't telling anyone.. guess she forgot. I will not tell my boss or anyone at work... only a few folks at work know, one friend and 2 people who have had the procedure done, I spoke to them to get information. I know they will not say anything.

I look at it as it's my personal business, nobody else needs to know unless I choose for them to know. As long as my husband is supportive, he is my best friend in the world, that is all I need. I do struggle though with what to tell my kids if anything. I always think What if and God Forbid something happened to me.. I don't want to lie to them, but I don't know that telling them this so they worry all day long is right either. They are 17, 12 and 7. Any suggestions on what or how to tell your kids is greatly appreciated! In their eyes, I'm not fat.. I'm mommy! :)