Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Faith Matters! Or Faith Matters?

This is a bit of a carry over from another topic I am participating in, but the conversation we were all having made me very curious. I would like to see how much of a factor having faith in God matters to those who have had the surgery or are in the process of having the surgery.

Personally, my having this surgery is totally dependant on my faith in God and His will for my life. I have been praying and seeking God on this issue since I first started looking into it. Throughout the process there have been open doors that I have taken as signs that it is ok for me to proceed. Of course the biggest one will be insurance approval and if I wind up not getting approved, then I will not press the issue.I want to make sure that this is something God wants for my life, not just something that I am deciding because I want to. I put my complete faith and trust in God and I know that He will guide me through this journey.

Just wanted to see what other people think about this issue.

While I expect that everyone has a right to their own opinion, I respectfully ask everyone please do not turn this into a God bashing session!

For myself and others, God has a lot to do with the decision to have this surgery.

Thanks!

I am a Christian and my faith influences every aspect of my life! I could not have gone through this process without believing God was withe in it as well as believing that he is helping me find freedom from over eating!

I am a Christian and my faith influences every aspect of my life! I could not have gone through this process without believing God was withe in it as well as believing that he is helping me find freedom from over eating!

thanks for your comment Kimmilee! I am praying that God will continue to guide me through and help me with the food issue as well! it is helpful to know that others feel the same way about it!

Let me say this. I have been at fault in doing things and then asking permission from God. LOL, at that point there is no need.

With this, I pretty much started the research and then asked. I made the decision but was still wavering. I'm like God, really is this for me. I was so nervous in the beginning...I still am. Now, I'm at peace with the decision. That is where I leave it. There are too many 'conversations' that can go way off tangent if not! You follow me.

The purpose to get us to this place has to be setteling(sp), not in we are giving up, but have come to one of the better decisions regarding our health and the healthy goals we want to attain.

I seek to be healthy in a smaller body, with a decreased number, better fitting clothing and the extra is I get to enjoy life. He want us to have Life and that more Abundantly. I was not living out His desired plan for me. So if, considering surgery to help me live it, then so be it.

My Faith is that God will direct the hands of the Surgeon, Anesthesiologist, Nurses and all other Hospital Staff that will look after my care, as he has with any other surgery I have had. My recovery after an ankle repair depended on me. I had to do the work...I thought I would never walk right again, I thought I would not wear heels again, I thought...I thought...I thought..

Isn't it the same with those who have had this surgery? Isnt' there a preconceived notion, but until the excercise is done and time has passed, that they have a whole new perspective. (I'm sorry, this is the tangent, I was trying not to take.)

Let me say this. I have been at fault in doing things and then asking permission from God. LOL, at that point there is no need.

With this, I pretty much started the research and then asked. I made the decision but was still wavering. I'm like God, really is this for me. I was so nervous in the beginning...I still am. Now, I'm at peace with the decision. That is where I leave it. There are too many 'conversations' that can go way off tangent if not! You follow me.

The purpose to get us to this place has to be setteling(sp), not in we are giving up, but have come to one of the better decisions regarding our health and the healthy goals we want to attain.

I seek to be healthy in a smaller body, with a decreased number, better fitting clothing and the extra is I get to enjoy life. He want us to have Life and that more Abundantly. I was not living out His desired plan for me. So if, considering surgery to help me live it, then so be it.

My Faith is that God will direct the hands of the Surgeon, Anesthesiologist, Nurses and all other Hospital Staff that will look after my care, as he has with any other surgery I have had. My recovery after an ankle repair depended on me. I had to do the work...I thought I would never walk right again, I thought I would not wear heels again, I thought...I thought...I thought..

Isn't it the same with those who have had this surgery? Isnt' there a preconceived notion, but until the excercise is done and time has passed, that they have a whole new perspective. (I'm sorry, this is the tangent, I was trying not to take.)

No please, tangent away! AMEN! you are completely right!

I'm not a very religious person, so I guess that has a big part in not really bringing fairth into my decision making. I definitly respect others who have their beliefs especially in a journey like this, but it wasn't really something I put thought into. Although I'm not terribly religious, I am a big believer in things happening for a reason, and the universe giving you opportunities. So I just say If this ment to be a path in my life the universe will allow it to be. Just my perspective on things, but either way it's great to have faith in something in this journey be it in God, the universe or just the surgical team lol. Just my two cents.

I'm not a very religious person, so I guess that has a big part in not really bringing fairth into my decision making. I definitly respect others who have their beliefs especially in a journey like this, but it wasn't really something I put thought into. Although I'm not terribly religious, I am a big believer in things happening for a reason, and the universe giving you opportunities. So I just say If this ment to be a path in my life the universe will allow it to be. Just my perspective on things, but either way it's great to have faith in something in this journey be it in God, the universe or just the surgical team lol. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the comment FallenAngel! I appreciate your input! :)

I'll care what God thinks about my fat, white, middle-aged body as soon as it appears that God is at all bothered about teeny, brown children starving to death. Otherwise I find it too horrifying to even consider.

How many times have I turned to food for comfort instead of God? I had made arrangements for the surgery in June, prayed, and could not sleep for all the irrational fears so I cancelled the surgery. The time I would have been in surgery and recovering, I was asked to participate in some important meetings that have drawn me closer to God. My surgery is back on and I have peace, God's timing is perfect. I keep going back to Matthew 5:29 "If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of you body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell." Blessings on you all.

thanks everyone for your input!

LizTex,

I believe God definitely had his hand in my decision to have this surgery. When I started thinking about it, I also started praying about it, and I can say honestly without question that every single thing fell into place, including the timing, the financial aspect, and also the fact that my kids' schedules were open for my surgery date and they were able to go with me (I had to drive 6 hours to Dallas for mine). I also sought the prayers of my close friends and family, and when I was rolled into surgery I felt absolutely protected and sure of my decision. I had my surgery on the 21st (at 56 years old), and I have had no issues at all. I've had no pain, and went back to work full time on Wednesday after my surgery on Friday. So, for me...FAITH MATTERS!!

LizTex,

I believe God definitely had his hand in my decision to have this surgery. When I started thinking about it, I also started praying about it, and I can say honestly without question that every single thing fell into place, including the timing, the financial aspect, and also the fact that my kids' schedules were open for my surgery date and they were able to go with me (I had to drive 6 hours to Dallas for mine). I also sought the prayers of my close friends and family, and when I was rolled into surgery I felt absolutely protected and sure of my decision. I had my surgery on the 21st (at 56 years old), and I have had no issues at all. I've had no pain, and went back to work full time on Wednesday after my surgery on Friday. So, for me...FAITH MATTERS!!

I love your story! Thanks for sharing!

I want to make sure that this is something God wants for my life, not just something that I am deciding because I want to.

This fits my situation to a T. I think one of my biggest faith challenges in this whole pre-surgery process is discerning between what is God's voice, and God's will for me.... vs. my own will and desires. He's certainly way smarter than me, so I'd rather cheat off of His paper, instead of struggling to scribble my own on the fly! lol

Yes, faith matters! When I first started thinking about having this done, I had some things to wrestle with as far as my faith is concerned. Part of me felt that going through the surgery meant I was failing God...Like if I only had enough faith I could do this on my own....If I trusted God more I would depend on Him instead of running to food...or running to surgery. Those kinds of thoughts. Yet, the more I prayed about it, the more every door just started opening for me and the more peace I felt about going through with it. I realized that this is a tool like many other tools and I could learn to serve Him better if I cut out the temptation. I also found the verse that talks about cutting off your hand or plucking out your eye very comforting. Gluttony is a sin. If I can cut out a part of my body to keep from falling into that sin, isn't that better than not doing it?

I'm soo happy I went through with this surgery. My faith has skyrocketed since then. I don't have the guilt and anxiety about food that I once did. God kept me through the procedure and is keeping me still. He is a faithful God!

I'll care what God thinks about my fat, white, middle-aged body as soon as it appears that God is at all bothered about teeny, brown children starving to death. Otherwise I find it too horrifying to even consider.

Swizzly, I'm sorry you have such a distorted view of God. I hope something sometime somewhere will show you what God is really like. He cares just as much about you as He does about those starving children. Kathe