Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"wls Is Not What God Intended..."

Great answer Pip!!!!! I had surgery last friday. They removed part of my stomach, and they removed my uterus because it was one degree from having cancer. If it was your uterus you were having removed because you had a very high chance if not already of having cancer, would she still stand on what she is saying? If not, then there is something else there. I am a Christian and a Christian sister I love actually said to me don't lose to much I don't want to be the chubby friend. I love her and I respect her honesty and I know to be sure to affirm her in how she looks. There are obviously some insecurities there or she would not have fake boobies (I am already planning my lift!! God did not intend for my boobs to look like tube socks.) I attribute my "no pain and amazing recovery" to God and all the prayers people have prayed for me. :)

@ Susan 2.0

Well..realize everyone has an opinion. My suggestion would be to invite her to a support group, have her come with you to a doctor's appointment and have her ask him questions..even better ..have her go to a seminar on it. She may never change her mind, but it just may give her some needed perspective. I am going out on a limb and guess she never had a weight problem? She may have..but if not, remember she doesn't have an idea where you are coming from. My husband was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and could eat me under the table and never gain an ounce. We had often talked about it, and he admitted he didn't understand where I was coming from. But I involved him in the process, allowed him to ask tough questions to the providers, and once he learned about the process, sat in a support group, and saw the problems that come with obesity that he had never experience..he began to empathize with me...and in turn became one of my biggest supporters. Maybe that is something she would be willing to do for you as your best friend because she loves and supports you already!

My thoughts as to what you could say...

Surgery is an option for me, just like every other option, Jenny Craig, WW, and any other program that was designed to assist those who struggle with weight issues. Of these choices, I chose what I thought would be best for me in the long run.

If I choose to do something against God's Will, does he not still call me his child. I trust He will NOT leave me nor forsake me, even in this. I am at peace because I have prayed and he has answered. If He does not agree, He will make it plain for me. That's it. That's all....and that settles it! Now...aren't these the badest shoes you've ever seen!! :P

I'm in need of a reply when a friend says to me: "It wasn't God's intention for us to remove 80% of our stomachs. It's too drastic. It's not natural. Diet & exercise - AND STICKING WITH IT - are what you need to do. I've always said that."

My reply was: "Breast implants weren't God's intent' date=' but you got those."

Her reply: "But they can be removed. You're taking out 80% of your stomach & you can't put it back."

Any KINDLY WORDED suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as she is, after all, my BFF, so I am not looking to disregard her feelings.

** NOTE: After several responses, I have edited this post to also say: Everyone's opinion is valid; however, I personally believe in God & pray continually that I am making the right decision & that he is walking beside me, or carrying me, through this. I am requesting KINDLY WORDED responses. If you do not believe in God or that this is not a God issue, then I kindly request that you not reply to this post. Thank you.

[/quote']

As I read your post, I saw a lot of judgement about a decision that you have prayed about already. God's approval in life is all you need. I think you should pray that she accepts your decision, and don't speak of the surgery again, until you're post-op. The changes that you are about to go through are going to be hard enough, and while you value the friendship, you have to put your health and needs ahead of the friendship. Have you thought about what would happen if she never accepts it? What if every scripture ever written isn't enough to "fight with"?

My BFF since 1st grade, who was a failed gastric bypass patient ignored my calls and texts during my pre-op phase. My family told me not to speak of the surgery to her ever again, and that's what I did. It hurt me alot because I supported her decision for WLS. I made a promise to myself, to live for myself. I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and I've lost 35 pounds, we went shopping last week, and she didn't mention a word about it. I accepted the limitations of the friendship, and I'm okay with it. I have plenty of other people to go to for support.

As I read your post, I saw a lot of judgement about a decision that you have prayed about already. God's approval in life is all you need. I think you should pray that she accepts your decision, and don't speak of the surgery again, until you're post-op. The changes that you are about to go through are going to be hard enough, and while you value the friendship, you have to put your health and needs ahead of the friendship. Have you thought about what would happen if she never accepts it? What if every scripture ever written isn't enough to "fight with"?

My BFF since 1st grade, who was a failed gastric bypass patient ignored my calls and texts during my pre-op phase. My family told me not to speak of the surgery to her ever again, and that's what I did. It hurt me alot because I supported her decision for WLS. I made a promise to myself, to live for myself. I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and I've lost 35 pounds, we went shopping last week, and she didn't mention a word about it. I accepted the limitations of the friendship, and I'm okay with it. I have plenty of other people to go to for support.

It's a unfortunate that there is a limitation on the friendship with your BFF, but it's a fact of life. i have friendships that are the same way, some subjects are just simply off-limits but I still love them entirely. But i believe that God puts people in your path that will help lift you up and edify you! That's what we all really need!

Read her Mark 9:43 and tell her your stomach offended you. I told the brother that reminded me my body was the temple, he laughed and said I guess you are remodeling! Best wishes!

Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. ~ 3 John 1:2.

Let your friend know that God desires for us to be healthy spiritually and physically. If we are sick in our bodies, how can we steward over and enjoy what He has blessed us with? Obesity is an illness and God has given man the wisdom and know how to create a surgery that can assist in curing this disease one person at a time. Wouldnt she want you healed, healthy and happy?

Tell her to not be afraid. Only your appearance will change and not your character and that you love her and would like her support and encouragement. If our God would not want you to prosper in this, every door would have been closed, not the opppsite. Be blessed! :)

Pipulla gave you the same verse I was going to. Personally, I have unintionally worshipped food for far too long. I have thought about every meal, obsessed over the scale, perused recipes, wasted $$ on failed diets, read books, and on and on and on with food, more so than my God. I have been deeply convicted of this. My heart has been more focused on food and my weight for years. It's like a love affair - I think about my weight and my size all the time, I plan my next diet just to fail at it and feel badly about myself. Food, and diets are my idol. If I have a good day with my diet than I feel good about myself. If I have a bad day with it, then bad about myself. I have gotten my self esteem more from my wieght than from God for years. This is not how He wants us to live nor where he wants us to gain our identity from. Food and my obsession with it and my weight is the biggest sin in my life. God commands that we love Him first and have no idols before him, and if something causes us to sin, we are to flee from it. Or as Pipulla stated, if our right eye causes us to sin, we are to cut it out. I believe that this surgery will help me get rid of this idol. I will no longer be distracted by food. I will eat to live, not live to eat. God intended food to be sustinance for life, not the center of all enjoyment. I have had total peace since I decided to have this surgery. I personally feel that I am doing in obediance to Him.

Now that said, that's me. If you DON'T have a peace about it, or if this surgery will cause you to obsess more, than carefully consider if it is God's will for you. I totally appreciate your friends thought process and where she is coming from, but she probably doesn't understand the sin and idol that food is in your life. God bless.

I don't think that humans were intended to have fast food on every corner and advertising constantly thrown in our faces for foods that I am sure we were never supposed to have eat on a daily basis. WLS is a way for us to adapt our bodies to live healthier lives in the surroundings that we currently live in. If you can lose weight with diet and exercise go for it. I could take it off, but not keep it off. How someone else feels about it is on them.

I did not go through WLS because of vanity but rather for my health. Had I been in a car accident and needed to have my leg cut off to save my life, I do not think that I would think twice about it. How is it any different? I needed to lose part of my stomach to save my life.

Just my view on it

I believe God wants us all to live a long and healthy life, the bible says "a good man should live to 100 yrs old." As long as a heart believes that what we are doing to get this long and healthy life we are living on God's earth in a "positive way." Everyone is different, some can eat and never gain but there are those of us who just "look" at food and its on our hips instantly. We diet, we exercise till we are blue in the face with no luck. That's where Gastric Bypass Surgery helps us. I choose "Life" and nothing nor anyone can change my mind....

My fellow sleevers...Pre & Post op....I cringed when I saw this post. What a low blow for someone to say to you.

God is merciful, great and loving. He provided this surgery for those of us unable to overcome our battles with weight. Agree with a lot of previous posts. Pray for peace on this issue as this is an optional surgery. Yes, I look better but this surgery was more about taking care of my health that wearing a size ____. The ways for me to serve are so much more broad now since I physically have abilities where before I had so many limitations.

Remember, His grace is sufficient and I am thankful everyday for my sleeve.

Peace to those in emotional turmoil.

I'm in need of a reply when a friend says to me: "It wasn't God's intention for us to remove 80% of our stomachs. It's too drastic. It's not natural. Diet & exercise - AND STICKING WITH IT - are what you need to do. I've always said that."

My reply was: "Breast implants weren't God's intent' date=' but you got those."

Her reply: "But they can be removed. You're taking out 80% of your stomach & you can't put it back."

Any KINDLY WORDED suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as she is, after all, my BFF, so I am not looking to disregard her feelings.

** NOTE: After several responses, I have edited this post to also say: Everyone's opinion is valid; however, I personally believe in God & pray continually that I am making the right decision & that he is walking beside me, or carrying me, through this. I am requesting KINDLY WORDED responses. If you do not believe in God or that this is not a God issue, then I kindly request that you not reply to this post. Thank you.

[/quote']

Only reply I can think of is: "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.!!"

Are you kidding me. She said that to you? And you call her a friend? First why did she have a breast implants ? To get the attentions of the opposite sex. Why do you want to have WLS ? So you can get ahold of your health, stop taking medicine, lower your blood pressure, trying not to become diabetic, lower your bmi and on and on and on.

To make a long story short. She is not friend and she is a hypocrit.

OMG! This has made me sooooooo angry

I would tell her:

I THANK GOD everyday that I live in a world where I can have lasix surgery to improve my eyesight. (Permanent re-formation of cornea' date=' can't be reversed)

I have had a few teeth removed, several moles and a growth removed from my nether regions which was causing me issues. Don't want anything back.

I have had friends have their tonsils, appendix, spleens, ovaries (and associated parts) removed when they aren't working for them anymore, and they are better for it. (Permanent removal of organs, don't want them back)

I have also had 85% of my stomach removed so I can have a tool to restrict my intake and help me lead a healthier life and be there for my family and friends.

I know God intended babies to come out the way they went in, but it is good to know these smart men and women are there to help with surgeries.

I also know these same smart men and women do surgeries for vanity purposes, and I am glad God put them here to help those who feel they need it.

What class of people do you think God would look down on more, those getting surgeries for vanity or those trying to improve the quality of their lives?

My 2 cents[/quote']

I like your post. I agree 100%.

When all else fails, if your friend still disagrees just tell her... "This is my decision, between me and God. If you can't understand then we will just have to agree to disagree."

Ask her if she plans on having her implants removed, then. You know, since its reversible. :)

Who is she to tell you what God is or is not making a way for you to do?