Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello From Sweet Home Alabama

Hello everyone!

I began my journey 18 months ago. It took me several months after going to my first seminar to.decide that gastric surgery was for me. At first, I thought this is the easy way out and that I just needed to work out more and eat less, so I gave that a try. 18 months later, I weigh more dieting and exercising! I love food, and I eat so often I don't even realize I am eating. I enjoy working out, but as my weight has climbed, it has become more difficult to work out. So, 7 months ago, I decided this surgery is for me! I am eventually healthy except for being fat and miserable (praise Yehovah for that!).

I did not have 3 years of documented medical history, mostly because I did not have health insurance until 18 months ago. My insurance, bcbs Alabama accepts dates photographs in lieu of, so I did submit pictures with all the other necessary documents. I was immediately denied! My doctor has said this is normal when submitting pictures in lieu of records and that he will resubmit and it will be approved. I am nervous that after all the time, money, and emotional investment that I will be denied. Has anyone had this experience? I am proceeding on as if I will get approval am seeing the nutritionist today. I need this surgery ASAP as I have plans for Disney in December. I hope this is a realistic goal. I would love to be walking around south Florida lighter and thinner.

Anyways, I refuse to quite even if denied. I will self pay but will need a loan for that. Anyone have suggestions for this avenue? I don't like debt, but honestly am willing to have it to live healthier. Mexico scares me, but seems way more affordable. Thoughts, experience, and support is greatly appreciated!

I'm from Auburn, AL and I too have AL BCBS- and they would not approve me with my additional issues because I was no morbidly obese- they ignored all my other issues such as insulin resistance, and severe PCOS with countless hospitalizations. Through a friend I found Dr. Alvarez at Endobariatric- not going to lie, wasn't cheap at $8,700 but the Birmingham and ATL docs wanted $30k out of pocket. SO I went to mexico and went with Dr. Alvarez. Hands down best surgery/hospitalization I've ever had. They were better than any american doctors or team of nurses. They treated me likea princess and while I was scared to death, Dr. Alvarez and his team are pro's at what they do and specialize ONLY in VSG maxing out at no more than 3 surgeries a day. My sleeve buddy and I agree it was the best choice we've ever done, and I'm so glad I did it in August. He also has a ton of Youtube videos out there explaining things and a fabulous book I wish I had read- BEFORE my surgery. If you get denied, I wouldn't even bother with BCBS anymore and look at personal financing. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience. Did your few include airfare, hotel stays, etc. or was that surgery expense only?

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) Surgery

- Hospital (2 nights)

- Hotel (2 nights) *

- All ground transportation *

- Preop blood test

- Preop Chest X-ray

- Surgery

- Anesthesiologist’s fee

- Surgeon’s assistant’s fee

- OR nurses’ fee

- Dr. Alvarez’s fee

- Nutritional information

- Discharge medications

- 24 hr support from Endobariatric.com staff in the U.S. and Mexico

Here's his website: http://www.endobariatric.com/candidate.htm

And here is his Youtube channel that I really found to be the most effective tool of them all. http://www.youtube.com/endobariatric

You should check out Dr. Dirk Rodriguez in Dallas. He did mine on September 21st and I am doing great! Down 18 pounds already! I don't know what it costs to get it done in Mexico, but my insurance did not cover bariatric surgery so I paid out of pocket. I bet he's comparable to Mexico. His prices are listed right on his website. The hospital was nicer than our hotel and the nursing staff was wonderful. I have had absolutely no complications and Dr. Dirk called me personally when I got home to make sure I made the trip home ok. When I have any questions I just pick up the phone and call and he and his staff are readily available. I highly recommend him to anyone considering the sleeve!

I am scheduled with Dr. A on Oct 11th. I am very excited. On my 4th day of 10 pre-op diet. I have heard so many great things about people's experience there I am looking forward to it. I am from Alex City not far from Auburn.