Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC ~ October Chat

Dear Starting Over,

Sweetie are you drinking your protien shakes or smoothies? Thats how you get your 60 something grams of protien a day and that keeps up your metabolism and keeps you losing. I am also worried about your high expectations, your giving yourself 6 months to get to your goal weight, did it take you 6 months to gain it? You didn't get this band to starve yourself and crash diet, this is a lifestyle change. Please know I am here to support you and I am not being critical in anyway. I just know alot about high expectations and the stress associated with them. I have tons more weight to lose than you, but I know I have plenty of time to get there. It took me my whole life to get this big and its gonna take a while to lose it. Way to go on the first 20lbs! You rock.

You guys are all doing great! I'm jealous of some of your losses. :car: I didn't make my 10 lb goal for September, I think I lost 8. I haven't lost anythiing for 2 weeks so I'm going to try and get a fill scheduled for this week. I feel like I can eat whatever. I am not eating as much as I used to but I'm sure eating more than I should. :) I want to try and lose 10 lbs in October. My longer term goal is to be 250 by our Disney vacation in December. That's 20 lbs in the next 2 months. We'll see if it's possible.

Keep up the good work ABC!

I'm not sure if I hit goal last month. I'm thinking not. I'm making a goal of 10 pounds for October. It's going to be a hard month with the 1 year anniversary of my mom's death on the 14th but I can do it and I'll do it for her. I have my first fill tomorrow afternoon. I can hardly wait!!!!!

Well, the scales have not been very good to me since my surgery. I'm down 14.5 lbs total now (6 weeks post-op). I was going up and down and up and down for about 4 weeks. This last week, I finally saw some consistent movement. So hopefully it continues. I am scheduled for my first fill of Friday and am so excited. I have been anxious for this for a couple of weeks now. Right now, I can eat anything I want to. Although the quantities are smaller, I feel they should be even smaller. Last week I was very diligent about the 5 small meals a day and I believe that's what made the scales jump...hopefully it continues.

Sounds like everyone else is doing great. I am jealous of most of your weight loss. It has been VERY slow for me.....

Oh yeah...my goal for Oct is 10lbs. I clearly didn't make my September 10 lb goal...so let's try it again!

I had my first fill on September 18th and I can barely get 4 oz of food down at one time. I feel full all the time and I am not hungry. I have had quite a bit of emotional stress in my life over the past week due to some self-created drama and I have not wanted to eat. This is very unusual for me, normally I would be grasping for the brownies.

The only down side of this is that I am distracted from making sure that I am getting the right combination of foods... Protein, veggies... so on. I am not eating bad but I will order a salad and I am pretty sure that I do not get enough protein on most days.

okay so I just got home from my first fill and it wasn't exactly fun.... The Dr put in 1.8cc in my 10cc band (it didn't hurt at all!!) and had me drink some Water. The water made me get a lump in my throat so they decided they needed to take some out. When he started to draw out the needle started acting funny and he said it had slipped out of the port.. and that my port was slightly tilted. Then he tried to get it back in and the needle broke! It hurt soooo bad..... Then he got a new needle and started all over, he withdrew all of the saline and realized that he lost some during the slip and then just put everything he had back in which he says was just over 1cc.... I got up and drank more water, which went down fine and then I was able to go home yay! The only thing that bothers me is that I really dont know if I could have handled more saline since he lost some in the slip, I was hoping he'd leave me at 1.5cc but instead I have just over 1 :) ... I guess that could be better, I'll go slow and easy on learning this band thing... Just thought I'd share :car:

Jamie, that sounds like a terrible experience. Ouch!! I don't even know how much I have in my band. I'm thinking about calling the office to find out. My first fill didn't do much, but I'm feeling restriction with the second. I'm really not sure if it's enough though. I can't get a grasp on how we are supposed to feel. Does that make sense? Like, what is enough restriction? We have so much to learn with this. I'm glad we have each other to learn adjust to our changes together.

candy,

Thank you so much for your support. I am not trying to starve myself by any means. In fact that is what my concern is. I am definitely getting my Protein in because that is all I eat. But with being advised by my Doctor's office to only eat a cup of food 3tx a day I am concerned about the low calorie count. My goals are for only 10 pounds a month. I feel like that is really realistic. I actually gained my weight really quickly due to depression after losing my husband in a car accident. 35 pounds in about 3 months. I am re-married now to a wonderful man. I feel like 10 pounds with proper diet and excersice 6 days a week is an attainable goal. 6 day a week excersice program is what the trainer with Dr. Phil reccommends. But only 30 minutes a day. Before lapband whenever I wanted to lose weight I would go on a 1200 cal a day diet and worked out and lost over 10 pounds a month. I just wanted the lapband in place this time when I lost the weight so that it would help me from gaining the weight back again. Again thanks for your sweet support.

Hi Lana :angel:

I just Had to reply to my nearly the same name LOL.:wow2: Seriously the bands change my life. There alot of support here.:) We all got our own personal goals.:peace: The band help but you still to work at loosing weight, its no quick fix by know means.

I am not going as well as pebble :wow2: but i have lost 37lb now since 8th July. I be honest, if i can do it, with my will power you can. Is more a control, it helps you stay in control, but you still need to choice sensible food :hungry: choices and exercize Erk!. Believe it or not I am even learnt to motivate to that. My dog thinks it Chrismas LOL.

LANA:D

I had my first fill today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! The only part that hurt was when he was pulling the needle out...go figure!

I met my 10lb goal for September and am setting my October goal at 10lbs.

Keep up the great work ABC!

OK, I'm about 23 pounds down from my preop weight, but I just gained a pound! I'm kind of floundering...I'm eating about 1/4 of what I used to eat, but I think I used to eat too many carbs.

Can those who are losing post what you're eating in a typical day so I can get some ideas for successful eating? Thanks. Any other ideas?

I just had to post my dinner that i made tonight. It came out really good. My Dr told me to try Spaghetti Squash since I can't eat Pasta. So I did and I really liked it.

I cut a spaghetti squash in half, removed the seeds, put it cut side down in a baking pan with 1/2 inch of Water and baked it at 350 for 45 minutes.

Then I cut a few cloves of garlic and put them in a saucepan with Ground Turkey until cooked with some Italian seasoning and a few other spices to taste, I added a jar of spaghetti sauce and let simmer. Then after the squash cooled down I scraped out the inside of the squash (it comes out in strands like spaghetti) and put it back in the baking dish and covered with the sauce mixture. I put it back in the oven for 20 minutes and it was done. It was a great meal, it tasted so good my mom even took half of it home with her for lunch tomorrow. I have had such a hard time finding new things to cook that I actually liked and this was a good one I'll definitley make it again.

I just got back from a loooooong and tiring 24 hour turn around to Dr. Ortiz's office for my first fill. Dr. Romero did my fill and was great. One quick stick (didn't hurt). The barium wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I ended up being filled to 1.8 cc in my 4.0 cc band. It was so cool to be able to see the band and port on the xray. I think it finally sunk in that I really do have a band inside. I kept having these weird dreams that I never got banded....that they put me to sleep and cut my skin so it would look like I had the surgery, but that they really stole my $8500. LOL But now I know, I really DO have a band! LOL 3 days of liquids and then we'll be able to see how much restriction I have.

Oh.....by the way.....incase anyone's wondering....We asked Dr. Ortiz today if he is still happily married. The answer is yes. :cry LOL