Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just How Much Is Everyone Exercising?

I'm curious about how much exercising majority of the sleevers are doing. Chime in on what type of exercise, how many days, and how long. What's working best for YOU?

My doc finally cleared me to be back in the Water again 15 days post op. I have a pretty crazy workout schedule. I play collegiate Water polo 4 nights a week for 2.5 hours, and I swim on the University’s Master's Swim team on my lunch 3 days a week for 1.5 hours. The first 2 days were the roughest, I was extremely sore and exhausted. Doing this much working out on such little calories is daunting and not for the faint of heart. I'm 6 week out tomorrow and don't remember the last time I felt this good!

I will say that doing team/club sports is night and day different from going to the gym on my own. I'm lucky to stay focused enough to do 45 minutes on an elliptical or treadmill, whereas when I get in the water I'm not staying place, I'm engaging with other people, being pushed by my team members, and have a coach guiding my workouts. I never get bored. My mindset is not to just survive practice, but to be one of the best, swim the fastest, throw the ball the hardest, and be an MVP. When I do get out of the water whether it was water polo or masters swim- I'm Jello, my body is completely exhausted and I feel like an Olympic champion (minus those sweet little gold medals). I have several fitness goals this semester, and I'm so motivated to get into the best shape ever, regardless of what the scale says. Our first ranked NCAA tournament is this weekend. Bet your bottom I've been going all Kong Fu Panda on my workouts-and the bonus?- I'm going to lose weight. I <3 my sleeve.

** and I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY encourage people to try Water aerobics, several sleeve friends have had a LOT of success with it, getting back into shape. Easier on the joints and just as good if not better than most land workouts!!! Great cardio and good or tightening up skin as you go!!!

I am in "total war" against the stubborn last 7 pounds before goal. I do a bodyblade, knee-bends with a kettle bell, and push-ups 3 times a week and walking or biking an hour 2-3 times week. I live in a hilly subdivision so the walking and biking is quite a work-out. I do Water aerobics in the pool occasionally. I follow up my workouts with unflavored whey powder, splenda, and milk.

I do on-the-knees push ups, even at this far out from surgery,( 8 months). I am taking it easy on my belly which hurts when I put pressure on it. I don't do crunches for the same reason.

My shoulders and arms are showing major signs of ripped-ness but my stomach looks like a deflated balloon. I am hoping it will tighten up as I continue my crusade against excess me.

My doc finally cleared me to be back in the Water again 15 days post op. I have a pretty crazy workout schedule. I play collegiate Water polo 4 nights a week for 2.5 hours' date=' and I swim on the University’s Master's Swim team on my lunch 3 days a week for 1.5 hours. The first 2 days were the roughest, I was extremely sore and exhausted. Doing this much working out on such little calories is daunting and not for the faint of heart. I'm 6 week out tomorrow and don't remember the last time I felt this good!

I will say that doing team/club sports is night and day different from going to the gym on my own. I'm lucky to stay focused enough to do 45 minutes on an elliptical or treadmill, whereas when I get in the water I'm not staying place, I'm engaging with other people, being pushed by my team members, and have a coach guiding my workouts. I never get bored. My mindset is not to just survive practice, but to be one of the best, swim the fastest, throw the ball the hardest, and be an MVP. When I do get out of the water whether it was water polo or masters swim- I'm Jello, my body is completely exhausted and I feel like an Olympic champion (minus those sweet little gold medals). I have several fitness goals this semester, and I'm so motivated to get into the best shape ever, regardless of what the scale says. Our first ranked NCAA tournament is this weekend. Bet your bottom I've been going all Kong Fu Panda on my workouts-and the bonus?- I'm going to lose weight. I <3 my sleeve.[/quote']

Wow. That's really impressive. It motivates me to hear about how great people are feeling after an exhausting workout.

I am in "total war" against the stubborn last 7 pounds before goal. I do a bodyblade' date=' knee-bends with a kettle bell, and push-ups 3 times a week and walking or biking an hour 2-3 times week. I live in a hilly subdivision so the walking and biking is quite a work-out. I do Water aerobics in the pool occasionally. I follow up my workouts with unflavored whey powder, splenda, and milk.

I do on-the-knees push ups, even at this far out from surgery,( 8 months). I am taking it easy on my belly which hurts when I put pressure on it. I don't do crunches for the same reason.

My shoulders and arms are showing major signs of ripped-ness but my stomach looks like a deflated balloon. I am hoping it will tighten up as I continue my crusade against excess me progresses.[/quote']

I'll have to incorporate some of these techniques when I get further out. It must feel so good to be able to say that you're 7 pounds from goal. Wow.

I will say, that the ONLY friends who have not hit serious stalls (that didn't last more than a few days or a week) are the ones who workout regularly. They lose -1 to -2 lbs at minimum every week, and if they do stall is not for very long (usually their bodies just adjusting). I see a big difference in the people who work out versus the people who do not and are battling stalls. They are bound to happen to everyone, but how your body reacts and the rate at which you lose is directly relational to how much you work out!

I do 30-60 minutes on the elliptical 5 days a week with 2 or 3 days of strength training. (Doc says we'll be weak and skinny if we don't do some strength training. (low weights with high reps) ) I was doing an hour on the elliptical every time, but I found myself getting tired of it and not wanting to go, so to change it up, I sometimes do just 30 minutes, but at the highest level I can keep up. Kind of a challenge. I love the elliptical, because I've developed a knee problem and the elliptical is the only thing that does not hurt it. (I can't bend it all the way...) So...there's that....

I meet with my trainer for strength training for an hour two days a week. Four days per week I do at least an hour combined of treadmill and elliptical. Occasionally I take a strength training class instead. Just today I added some treadmill step climber but it just about killed me - I will start working on incorporating that. When possible I hike for about 1 1/2-2 hours in addition maybe two days per week. The last few weeks our air quality has been too poor from forest fires to go hiking. I take one day per week off, and very occasionally two if something unavoidable comes up.

I am 4 1/2 months post surgery.

I NEVER exercised pre-op, hence part of my problem. For the last year and a half I've been doing a lot.

I swim about 4 hours a week and bike about 100 miles a week (10 hours). With fall approaching I have cut back to only swimming 2 hours a week so i can get home earlier and bike an hour before sunset. Beyond that I lay around and watch TV :)

My favorite exercise always was and always will be cycling. Typical ride for me is 15-25 miles, depending on my schedule. But I've started doing so many other things I haven't been riding as much as I'd like. Recently started C25K and I'm trying to do that 3 days a week. I love to go hiking, and will usually hike about 2 hours once or twice a week. And most recently I've taken up circuit training/crossfit type workouts at home, combining lifting weights with short runs or the elliptical.

I love the circuit training because there is so much variability. I have weights, an elliptical and plenty of room to run (4 acres), but honestly you don't need any of that. Some body weight exercises and a jump rope will do the trick. Best part is the whole workout takes half the time of cycling 25 miles.

I try to mix things up every day and I can't remember the last day off I took. I keep telling myself I'm gonna have a rest day but then I get bored or restless and I end up doing something to get the heart rate up.

I play basketball for 45 MINS 2-3 times a week. I do the treadmill and I do strength training.

Yoga 5-6 days a week and I have started the ease in 5 k...first day thought I would die...and yoga brought me back to normal...so I am gonna try again easing into the 5k Again..I had a large drop when I did the running.

Wow, these are great answers. Everybody is doing some pretty high intensity stuff. I guess it's time to put my game face on, and get to it.

I have been doing 30-60 minutes 4 - 5 times per week on the treadmill and/or elliptical. Tomorrow is the first appt with my new personal trainer. I am beginning an aggressive 6 day per week upper body workout. I will cut down to 15 -25 minutes of cardio and do more strength training. I will take it easy on the abs until I am a bit further out. However, I will still work on the waist.