Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We MAY adopt Jack Russell tomorrow

paladin

We have been thinking about adding another dog to our family and were strongly leaning toward a Boxer. 3Loves paid a visit to the local shelter today and fell in love with a female Jack Russell. She is at least a year old judging from her teeth. Both of our boys got to visit with her in a room and she seemed to be so loving with them. She has only been at the shelter for a week and not even officially available for adoption until tomorrow.

The only concern is a red spot on her butt. She is also scooting. After talking to the vet, they think it could be a swollen anal sac. Apparently, this is not uncommon if a dog has been a stray and had a poor diet. A poor diet can cause the anal sacs to not function properly and thus swell or even become infected.

We're still trying to make the final decision regarding this dog. We are certainly not in a financial position to sink a lot of money into an ill dog if this turns out to be more than a swollen anal sac. The adoption fee is $50 then we would have all her shots and heartworm work-up done, so even without any treatment we're looking at $150 plus. This is reasonable to us and as long as we don't get into hundreds of dollars, we are all for rescuing her.

She is so full of life and love and would fit right into our crazy family. There is never a dull moment in this house to begin with. I can only imagine the fun we would have adding a Jack Russell.

Oh, the other concern is the cat. I wonder how a JR will do with our Gracie since they will both share the house, that is in addition to our Lab. Anyone out there with JR experience that can offer advice on JR getting along with cats? ANY JR words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

We have a half Jack Russell/ half "fence jumping daddy" female named Molly. My DH adores this dog. We also have a Welsh Corgi and a cat. Jack Russells are definately Type A personality dogs. They are very active. The commercial where the Russell is running circles under the bed covers is pretty accurate. Molly sleeps under the covers at night. Russells were bred to "go to ground" to get the fox, etc in its den and Molly has dug out more than one rat and killed it on the spot.

It's hard to say if the JR and the cat will get along - maybe in time. Even our cat, who loves the Corgi is not real fond of Molly - she loves to jump on top of the cat and try to hold him down. He is not too happy about that.

There are several web sites devoted specifically to JR's, you might look some of them up and see what advice they give. We would not trade MOlly for anything. She gives a lot of love, but she can be hyper.

Best to you in your decision on a new "fur baby"

Terry :)

Terry ~ Thanks for the response...appreciate the info. How funny that your JR was named Molly. That is the same name the shelter gave to this little girl. We renamed her b/c we have a chocolate lab named Malley and it would be too confusing.

Well, we did it. We officially became the proud parents of a Jack Russell Terrier. She is such a sweetie, not to mention a speed demon. My DW had to chase her down at the shelter b/c she jumped out of the van when the kids we getting in. Apparently, she wouldn't go in the kennel so my DW decided to see how she would do with a van ride. When she turned her back, Cloe was on the run and having a blast. Oh, we named her Cloe.

The good news is that she gets along with the lab & cat. Well, sort of. The cat (Gracie) has stood her ground in the house and let Cloe walk around her. Once Gracie even ran toward her. I think it will be a love/hate relationship. I see great potential for the 2 of them after the dust settles.

We have a vet appt Fri and will have her checked for parasites/heartworm and get her up to date on all her shots. The shelter gives a week grace period in the event of the discovery of major health problems. This is a good thing, but I doubt this little girl will EVER leave our home.

Here's a couple pics. Can you tell we're proud of her?

post-205595-13813134450928_thumb.jpg

post-208487-13813134451275_thumb.jpg

post-208113-13813134175353_thumb.jpg

post-208113-13813134175647_thumb.jpg

He does look so mischievous and way too cute. Both of your babies are just precious. The black one looks like one of it's parents was a German Shepherd. Love the other pics too. You must be a photographer. Great job!!

Thanks, actually my hubby is the pro photog.:confused: I just borrow the fancy dancy equipment sometimes. We think the black one is a whippet mix...maybe with dobie or lab...could be german shepherd. They are both pound puppies.:eek: