Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for surgery on October 3rd (one week away). Today I met with the bariatric nurse for my pre-op education class and she said to me "prepare for only two bites and two TINY bites going forward." I said when you say tiny bites, what does that mean exactly. She said "two bites the size of a small M&M and you will be done."

Seriously? I am already terrified and not really sure this is what I want to sign on for.

Any thoughts from those that are post-op? I would love to hear from others that are 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 12+ months out.

I am SO nervous about surgery anyway and just don't want to be saying to myself - why in the hell did you do this to yourself. 2 bites for the rest of your life is not really what I am looking to do.

Please help ease my anxiety.... :(

initially you will not be able to eat much due to pain, nausea and swelling. after your move to a solid diet you will be able to eat a little. i am 11 months out and can eat about half a hamburger and a little bit of fries. i still have good restriction which is what i need. i am down 154 pounds since surgery and 204 pounds total. good luck

I understand your fear! My surgery is Friday and that's all I can think about as well! I do however believe everyone is different and it will all depend on your body and what it can handle! All will be ok. Think of the bigger picture! A skinner you! There are so many pluses in this situation! food luck to you!

Once you get out of surgery, will be bacisly just drinking. ALOT OF LIQUIDSSSS!! but heres the thing.... thats all your going to want to do. when i first got out of surgery, I didnt drink anything until one or two days after. I couldnt. My MD wouldnt allow it. Not even ice chips. Just a wet sponge for the lip. BUT youre going to be so tired and out of it that you wont want anything. And youll be on IV fluids so you dont need it. After the next few days they gave me medicine cup with Protein Water in them. It took me about 10 to 20 minutes to finish just one oz cup. i couldnt do any more and i didnt want it. you wont be hungry and wont want food. Im 4 months out now and can eat about 1/4 to a 1/2 a cup of food at a time. 60 down since surgery 80 total.

I will be 6 weeks post-op Oct 4, 2012. I maybe get a 1/2 cup down. It is an adjustment, it's also all in my head that I need more. I'm full and totally satisfied but, my love for food and certain tastes gets the best of me at times! My mouth is saying MORE but my tummy says Nope! I'd never change it though! I love my sleeve! In six weeks I'm down 35 pounds and lots of inches. I feel like a new person! It is a change of life but so worth it! This new journey is a blessing! Good luck to you, may your experience be a great one!

I am only three weeks out and I can eat more than that. Granted everybody is different in their recovery and their overall experience. I have been lucky and have had zero complications and never had trouble getting my Water or Protein in. At three weeks out I can eat a 5 oz yogurt, a 6 oz Protein Shake, or 3.5-4oz of moist chicken. Just listen to your body and don't push too hard.

In about a week, I will be 15 months out.

I can eat any food.

I take what I would refer to as a normal person bite (not the mounding forkful I did pre-op) and chew well putting down my fork. Swallow. Assess how it felt. Repeat until I *feel* full or hiccup.

This is usually about 3 or 4 bites of chicken, steak or some other lean Protein, with a side dish chaser of 1 or 2 bites. If I am eating a salad, I can have a Cereal bowl size, no problem. Same with Soups. They go down a lot easier.

I've lost over 100 pounds and have been at goal since about March with surgery July, 2011.

initially you will not be able to eat much due to pain, nausea and swelling. after your move to a solid diet you will be able to eat a little. i am 11 months out and can eat about half a hamburger and a little bit of fries. i still have good restriction which is what i need. i am down 154 pounds since surgery and 204 pounds total. good luck

That is wonderful success! Keep up the great work!

I am almost 2 years post op, and you will be able to eat normally again. In the very beginning, she is right (although everyone is different). You can literally only eat a couple of tiny bites. It is because your stomach is extremely swollen from the surgery. As it heals, you will be able to eat more. Just remember to eat slowly and chew well in the beginning. Go to fast and it will all be coming back up.

I'm 4 weeks out and can easily eat the following (not at once!)

1/2 cup pudding

1/2 or more of creamy Soup

1/4 cup cottage cheese or ricotta

I drink 12-16oz Protein shakes

1 scrambled egg w/ cheese and salsa

All of these foods take about 20 min to consume.

I am not onto solid foods yet so that may be shocking once I get there. For now I'm happy with the quantities I can have.

I'm about 13 months out. In the beginning, you can only eat a few bites. Over time it will increase but it will never be what it was. I have certain foods I can't really eat b/c they just don't go down very well or fill me up too fast. Bread/salad both fill me up to the point where 2-3 bites is it. I can eat usually half of a steak or chicken. I can drink an entire Atkins Protein Shake and be full generally. Yes it is freaky to think that you won't be able to eat much!! But remember why you are doing this. I have days where I hate my surgery but you know why?? It's because I want to overeat. That is why. Overeating got me to 417 lbs. So yes it sucks at times but I would never ever go back!

I didn't ask the question, but I'm very grateful for all the responses!

AMEN :)

I struggled with drinking the day after surgery but by day 2, I could drink a 1 oz cup with ease. Started yogurt, cottage cheese- baby food consistency day 4 and the bites were tiny but I could do 4 or 5 after a couple days. Progressing to more normal food for me has been problem free. Now 8 weeks out from surgery I can eat about 1/2 cup of food. Inside of a chicken taco. Dense Protein like a chicken breast I still take the tiny bites of and chew well but can finish in 20 minutes. It is good that she warned you because it is so different it feels crazy. I am excited that I have this tool to help me loose the weight and keep it off.

I will be 6 weeks post-op on Oct 4th. I can only eat maybe 1/2 cup. I too have struggled with the desire to eat more, I know it's all in my head. After eating my small amount I'm full and very satisfied. If I eat too much I'm totally miserable and my chest will hurt. I have to honestly admit, I miss eating more...but I wouldn't change a thing. I love my sleeve and will learn to train my brain and my mouth that I'm in control not them. LOL I'm enjoying life, in just a few weeks I've lost 35 pounds and a lot of inches. I'm proud to be on this journey and I'm sure you will too. Good luck to you and God Bless.