Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Some Help Figuring This Out, Please...

I'm hoping some of you experienced people can help me here. I am 2 years post op VSG (08/03/10) and I am no longer losing weight. I am eating 1600 calories a day and exercising 5 to 6 days a week for 60 minutes each day. My HRM watch tells me I burn anywhere from 440 to 650 whether I am doing Zumba, or running. I am only getting my period once every 3 months. I weigh 219 and I'm down 143 pounds from pre surgery. What the heck is going on here?!?!?! Could Menopause be stalling me out ( I'm 49) ? I have remained the same weight for 6 months.

1,600 is probably too many calories. Try cutting your calories and carbs back down to no more than 1,200 for awhile and see what happens

While your caloric count may be too high, doesn't the body level out at some point and stop active weight loss? I thought that happened around 18 months to two years?

Let's first make sure the caloric intake is the best for your physical exercise. What are your Protein and carb intakes? Are they whole carbs? The next quiz is on the timing of the calories. What time do you exercise and what is your Protein and carb count before and after. Quick note. In order for exercise to reduce weight, the body must be properly nourished and ready to burn the calories... Otherwise it goes into survival mode and holds on to all the bad fats that inhibit weight loss.

Sent from my iPad using VST

As you lose weight your BMR also gets lower. It takes less energy to move your body around because it's smaller. Eventually your BMR levels out with your caloric intake. When that happens you will not lose weight. If that has happened to you, you have to do one of two things...either up your BMR or lower your caloric intake. To up your BMR, you either need to increase the intensity, duration or frequency of your workouts. Completely changing your workout routine is akin to increasing the intensity, so that can work for you.

Also, not all calories are created equal. Sugars and high glycemic carbs (starches) will actually help your body store fat, rather than burn it.

I want to note, the above post with my name on it was actually from my fiancé who is a personal trainer and licensed nutritionist.

I want to add personally, that I am three years out. A year ago I encountered major medical issues which resulted in my gaining thirty pounds. It wasn't due to a major change in my eating habits, it was due to meds, the inability to move, hormones, etc. Now, at three years out, I am still not able to exercise like I was before due to my back problems limiting me greatly. Bill, my fiancé, has me on a diet of between 1350 to 1450 calories per day. We watch my Protein, fat and carb intake very carefully by recording everything I eat in MyNetDiary. I am losing an average of 1.5 pounds per week. So, don't get discouraged, you don't lose the ability to lose weight, it just doesn't come off as quickly as it did in the first few months immediately following your surgery. We just have to figure out what works for you.

..... In order for exercise to reduce weight, the body must be properly nourished and ready to burn the calories... Otherwise it goes into survival mode and holds on to all the bad fats that inhibit weight loss.

I would like to hear more about this because I exercise alot, but I work shift work so my schedule changes every 3 or 4 days. Sometimes I workout at the end of the day, sometimes first thing in the morning. Sometimes it's midnight. When it's morning, the only thing I usually have in me is a 120 calorie Protein shake. Maybe 2 fig newtons if it's gonna be a long exercise. Plus plenty of Water. I will drink 24-30 oz before I ever start.

I would like to hear more about this because I exercise alot' date=' but I work shift work so my schedule changes every 3 or 4 days. Sometimes I workout at the end of the day, sometimes first thing in the morning. Sometimes it's midnight. When it's morning, the only thing I usually have in me is a 120 calorie Protein shake. Maybe 2 fig newtons if it's gonna be a long exercise. Plus plenty of Water. I will drink 24-30 oz before I ever start.[/quote']

Hey Butterbean, I will have Bill respond in the morning. He just got home from a 14 hour day and has headed to bed. I will get him to create his own user ID as we'll, seeing he is going to be a lot more involved in the forums now.

I think having a personal trainer and nutritionist come on here every so often would be great. I don't know if I'd want to marry one though...that could be a blessing and a curse.

I oughta know...I married a psychologist. That's no picnic.

Thank you all for your suggestions and input! I probably should have stated my nutritionist suggested 1600 calories after reviewing my food log and exercise. I also had my RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested in July and it came back at a suggested caloric intake of 1580. This is a snapshot of my intake today. Most of my carbs are from fruits and vegetables. I am good about only eating complex carbs with an occasional treat of a regular tortilla or a few crackers once or twice a week.

As far as when I work out. It is either 2 hours after I wake up and have had Breakfast (3 days a week) or one hour of eating dinner (3 times a week).

Totals calories 1,599 carbs 201 fat 61 Protein 68

I think having a personal trainer and nutritionist come on here every so often would be great. I don't know if I'd want to marry one though...that could be a blessing and a curse.

I oughta know...I married a psychologist. That's no picnic.

Ha ha, I hear ya. It is a blessing when I am being good, not so much when I feel lazy or crave a piece of chocolate cake!