Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plantar Fascitis

Mine has gotten better since I have lost almost 40 pounds. My podiatrist gave me some splints to sleep in at night and that has really helped too.

[quote name="Lisa :)]I also forgot to mention that I swear by Fit Flops!!! They were recommended to me by the Dr that made my orthotics and I never had pain when I wore them!! I started out with the clog style and then purchased the flip flop style once I lost about 70 lbs. I still wear them even though my PF seams to be gone....they are so comfortable!!!

I love my fit flop boots! Wore them all winter. I like SAS sandals' date=' there a little more cushy than fitflops

bmi.png

These are all shoe brands I have heard of for PF. I can't wait to check them out. I heard that New Balance has a good tennis shoe for PF too. Thank you for all of this info. I'm so glad that this can resolve with weight loss. (sitting here icing my feet as we speak!)

I had PF severely. It totally sucked! I went to my pcp for the problem. Now, this sounds bizarre, and guess it is, but he told me to get athletic tape and place it the length of my arch. I also wrapped a piece around my foot to keep it in place. IT WORKED! I was sceptical, but really willing to try anything at that point. He said he did not know why, but that was the most effective way he found of treating PF. I also lost about ten lbs at the same time, so I'm sure that was a factor. I did that for about a month and you know it never did come back.

Good luck!

I began to develop PF when I became a surgery nurse after all the amt of time on my feet. I have had a pair of z-coil shoes for 2 years. I started wearing them to work every day and all my symptoms went away. In 2 yrs I've only had to replace my coils once (about a month ago).

I'm a surgery nurse too, both scrub and circulate. I developed PF and tried Z-coil too, based on a recommendation from a fellow co-worker with PF. I spent all that money on them, but soon figured out that I wasn't coordinated enough to wear them for work. After I nearly bust my butt a few times, the podiatrist said the risk was greater that I would break an ankle while trying to treat the PF. He didn't endorse Z-coils anyway, though. Too bad I was such a klutz, I felt like they were working.

Ive lost 80lbd & still have pf,didnt think it ever goes away. I didnt have it until.3 months after my girls were born,I did a walkathon.went homr and took a nap,got up and felt like I was walking on cut glass.its was downhill ever since. I saw a podiatrist who made orthodics,,which really didnt do much lived ln nsaids,my job requires 8 Hrs on my feet. Finally went to a place called good feet and paid for a pair of orthos out of pocket $350.00it helps but if I do a lot of walking I pay for it. My foot still hurts even though I walk at least a mile a day,im trying to avoid a shot,so ill put up with it for as long as I can

OMG that sounds horrible, did you try to stretch and stretch and stretch??? I mean to the point when it really hurts but then the pain gradually goes away? And iceing? I remember I could not get out of bed without stretching first. And eventually my pain went away...

Ive lost 80lbd & still have pf,didnt think it ever goes away. I didnt have it until.3 months after my girls were born,I did a walkathon.went homr and took a nap,got up and felt like I was walking on cut glass.its was downhill ever since. I saw a podiatrist who made orthodics,,which really didnt do much lived ln nsaids,my job requires 8 Hrs on my feet. Finally went to a place called good feet and paid for a pair of orthos out of pocket $350.00it helps but if I do a lot of walking I pay for it. My foot still hurts even though I walk at least a mile a day,im trying to avoid a shot,so ill put up with it for as long as I can

I had severe PF as well. Some mornings, I had to crawl to the bathroom the pain was so bad.

I bought 4 pairs of MBT shoes just so I could function. Highly recommend them.

After a year of doing PT, I still had the issue, so my Podiatrist suggested a new PT method called ASTYM. Basically, it is the most painful, ticklish thing you have ever experienced. The premise is the tendons have attached themselves to the surrounding tissue which is not as nice and straight as it could be. So, the therapist uses a hard plastic tool to scrape the plantar, the calves and all the surrounding tissues to dislodge the tendons and straighten them out, thereby lengthening them.

8 sessions later I was a different man. Check it out and see if your PT can do it or recommend. It takes special training and whoever *invented* it gets a royalty each time its performed, so it is not a widespread practice.

2 months after the therapy, I got sleeved. I have absolutely no pain in the foot at all. I still do where my MBT shoes, but not when I am running or exercising. They are not meant for that. You really need shoes that support your specific level of pronation for those activities.

Again, it is ASTYM. Google it. It works.

Pdxman, I'm in Vancouver....who was the PT that did the ASTYM therapy?? Thanks for the info, by the way.

I bought orthodics from Good Feet. They're horrible and haven't helped at all!

Lia at The Portland Clinic in downtown Portland.

She is awesome!

BTW. I also tried orthotics, custom as well. Couldn't stand them. The above mention therapy and MBTs did the trick for me.

I looked at MBTs, they dont seem to come on wide width,im going to go to a place here in town that Carries them later

I had bad pain in my legs like that when I walked it was horrible. I was sleeved the 27th of August. It surprises me how much better things have gotten in such a short time. No more insulin or pain when I walk.

I had bad pain in my legs like that when I walked it was horrible. I was sleeved the 27th of August. It surprises me how much better things have gotten in such a short time. No more insulin or pain when I walk.

Very happy for you' date=' I know about the pain. Hoping it will resolve with the weight loss post sleeve.

bmi.png

My PF has gone away since I started wearing Birkenstocks. I have worn them for years now (both sandals and clogs). I won't wear anything else!

My PF has gone away since I started wearing Birkenstocks. I have worn them for years now (both sandals and clogs). I won't wear anything else!

They are too hard for me' date=' now. I need a lot of cushion on my heel or the pain is escuciating. That's all I wore all year long when I lived in NM

bmi.png