Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couldnt Do Surgery-Liver Size

So I wake up to find out I was cut open and the surgery wasn't even done since my liver is still too large...they want me to lose 20 lbs before they will attempt it again...

I'm so dissapointed and feel like maybe that this surgery isn't in the cards for me...

I get in a car wreck in the surgery parking lot...and now I go under the knife to be closed back up.

They knew my weight before I went under I don't get it

Oh crap, I didn't know they would do that. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Oh no. I am so sorry!!!

This is a blow and I understand your disappointment. Take a minute to let it get to you...... Now that the minute is up, make your plans for losing the 20 pounds. Before my surgery, I joined Weight Watchers and lost more than 20 pounds in a few months. You can stay on the liquid diet. Weight can be lost any number of ways, it's the keeping it off that is tough and you won't have to go through the agony of trying to keep it off once you've had the surgery.

So get up and keep going for the golden ring. You made your decision; now you have to make it happen.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

I am sorry for what you are going through. Like PP said, maybe a week or two on the pre-op diet is all you will need to lose those pounds.

I was wondering, if you don't mind me asking, what your weight is? I am pre-op and this is one of my worries.

Wow, my doctor requires would-be patients to agree to an open surgery IF for any reason, including large liver, they can't do it laproscopically. What an unfortunate suprise for you. If you really want this, I'm sure you'll manage the 20 lbs though I know it will be hard. Good luck. I feel for you.

So I wake up to find out I was cut open and the surgery wasn't even done since my liver is still too large...they want me to lose 20 lbs before they will attempt it again...

I'm so dissapointed and feel like maybe that this surgery isn't in the cards for me...

I get in a car wreck in the surgery parking lot...and now I go under the knife to be closed back up.

They knew my weight before I went under I don't get it

Did you have a preop diet? Sorry to hear this' date=' I would be beside myself.. But be strong, lose the 20 and move into your new life!

bmi.png

This is horrible and I am sorry to hear that you had this experience. But you will find nothing but encouragement and support from fellow sleevers in this forum. Take the advice and use all the negative emotions you are currently feeling to get those pounds off and back on track to obtaining your ultimate goals!!. Good luck and God Bless!!

I'm so sorry that you didn't get your sleeve! I agree with everyone else, drop that 20 pounds any way you can safely do so and then get back in there. It will definitely be worth it!!!

So Im confused and apologize in advance, does your liver become fatty faster of your obese? How does a liquid diet of one or two weeks help shrink the liver enough? How can someone be over 300 lbs but have an ok liver am someone possibly 200 does not? Is there not any prepp type tests to check this before being cut open? Now I worry and totally understand your frustration. You can do this!

So Im confused and apologize in advance' date=' does your liver become fatty faster of your obese? How does a liquid diet of one or two weeks help shrink the liver enough? How can someone be over 300 lbs but have an ok liver am someone possibly 200 does not? Is there not any prepp type tests to check this before being cut open? Now I worry and totally understand your frustration. You can do this![/quote']

Many surgeons will have a one or two week liquid diet specifically to shrink the liver. Fatty liver occurs in obese people and shrinks with extreme dieting. Its to make room and reduce possible complications.

bmi.png

Ugh what a damn bummer! I would be furious!! So I'm with you on this one. At the same time- you can't give up. Do the liquid diet and in just a couple weeks this can happen for you. Be my inspiration here. Don't give up on this. Some positives: 1) anesthesia went well for you yes? So no worries next time then? 2). You know exactly what you need to do and you can do it- black and white

I'm not sure what your work situation is though- how will that work out?

So sorry to hear this but hang on....... :) :)

So Im confused and apologize in advance, does your liver become fatty faster of your obese? How does a liquid diet of one or two weeks help shrink the liver enough? How can someone be over 300 lbs but have an ok liver am someone possibly 200 does not? Is there not any prepp type tests to check this before being cut open? Now I worry and totally understand your frustration. You can do this!

There are ways to check for a fatty liver. Low-carb diets also help shrink livers and from my understanding, the process starts fairly soon after undertaking (around 48 hours). I've never had fatty liver so I don't know all the particulars but during my pre-op, they checked my liver levels (through blood tests) and I also got a body scan. Maybe the OP's, doctor did not do that.