Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2006 Bandsters!

I started soft foods and am tolerating well. My 1st fill will be Dec 17th. I need to get a scale for the challenge so I can keep up :) Glad to hear everyone is doing so well.

Hi all, Count me in for the Christmas challenge

I already started on the 14th Nov, as I want to lose a few more than just the 10#, to round off my weight to 120 kg. I think that I've lost about 4# so far, but I'll check it tomorrow morning!

I had a day of highs and lows today. First the low, and slap me please, because I don't know WHAT I was thinking. Anyway, I bought a chicken, avocado and lettuce baguette for lunch today, mentally promising myself that I'd eat slowly, little bites etc, etc (yeah, stupid, I know, but I wanted bread for a change...). First bite I took I got stuck. I thought I'd chewed enough, but obviously not. No PB, but close. Plenty of slime - charming. I am not new to the whole PB / slime thing - I've had these episodes pre-banding, frequently on bread products because I STILL think I can eat them at a normal speed. After all the posts and advice I've had, I felt like a complete idiot.

Now, the highs, which made me feel better - driving my mum home from work tonight, she says "you really have lost weight, look at the gap to the steering wheel!". I couldn't believe it - my belly used to just meet up with it, and now there's a gap of about 10cm (4 inches)!!! I also realised today that my second, tighter pair of old faithful work pants are almost falling off me!!! I still haven't lost enough weight that anyone outside my family has noticed yet, but I can smell that NSV in the air any day now...

That's all from Goannabanda land for now! Keep up all the good shape-shifting work October band buddies!!!

I'm hoping to lose an additional 10 pounds by Christmas as are most of y'all. But it seems I've hit that "bump" in the road. I was banded Oct 2nd and my first fill was Nov 10th. Since my fill I have actually gained 2 pounds! Geez........ I really didn't expect that to happen! It seems that the first 30 pounds came off pretty easy. I guess now the work begins. But then having a spouse who supports me by making me feel guilty if I don't eat a snickers bar with her doesn't help. Plus the ice cream she keeps in the freezer (her comfort food). And the "baby, make me a dish of ice cream please?". Man, it's hard to do that task without sneaking a spoonful or two. I know to all of you it sounds like I'm whining. Maybe I am. But then maybe I'm looking for advice. Maybe I'm looking for support. I guess what I should do is basically do my program and not let her insecurities interfere with my success. Insecurities? Yes. She has many. Mostly she thinks that the only reason I had this banding done was to become more attractive to the opposite sex and then start running around on her. That is not the reason I had the banding done. I can't seem to convince her that I got the banding done so I can be healthier. And hopefully being healthier I can spend more years with her. Geez. I hate this. Ok, I'll stop pissing and moaning. Sorry to bother y'all. I just needed to vent.................Love you all, Jimboss

JimBoss

that's a tough one. I DON'T think you are whining. This is not an easy journey and we need all the help we can get.

It seems like my hubby has been eating MORE junk food since I've been banded???? I am lucky though, he is very supportive. We still have so much candy in the house from Halloween. I HAVE to have it in the basement fridge, I can't have it in sight. Every night he goes down, gets the bag, eats his fill and brings it back down!

I know it isn't easy but please don't let your wife sabotage your weight loss efforts. Be a good hubby and eventually, she will realize that your lives will be better with you healthier and maybe she will jump on board too. Stay strong and show her that you are doing this whether or not you have her support!

Best of luck to you!!

JimBoss I'm sure that is very frustrating. I'm lucky - I live by myself so if I don't buy it, I won't eat it. I found if I do buy it though, I will eat it so I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you to continuously have willpower of steel.

I'm sorry I cannot offer any advice on the relationship end but here's some advice on the food. Try using a site like FitDay, which will track the nutrition and calories of what you eat. You'll find that some foods that seem healthy enough, are far too dense in calories. Also, it will help you track your Protein so you can make sure you are getting enough. And you may even be able to have the occassional piece of candy or ice cream if you have the "room" in your day. It's impossible to change the years of bad eating habits overnight and in the beginning it seems like we don't really have to work for the weight loss, but we do. WE do the work, the band is just a tool to help. Just keep working at it Jim, and you'll get there!

That's ok Mzsmartypantz - Christmas is still a long ways away!

don't feel bad mssmartypantz, i am gaining and losing the same 2 lbs....lol.

But then having a spouse who supports me by making me feel guilty if I don't eat a snickers bar with her doesn't help. Plus the ice cream she keeps in the freezer (her comfort food). And the "baby, make me a dish of ice cream please?". Man, it's hard to do that task without sneaking a spoonful or two. Mostly she thinks that the only reason I had this banding done was to become more attractive to the opposite sex and then start running around on her. That is not the reason I had the banding done. I can't seem to convince her that I got the banding done so I can be healthier. And hopefully being healthier I can spend more years with her.

Keep reminding her that your health benefits both of you.

Also a spoonful of icecream is STILL better then a bowl. We have to learn to live and work with our issues. I have a DH that eats 5 or more large meals, cant gain for nothin. I have told him time and time again how i must eat. I am having to retrain him in his thinking. He always asks..Do you want some.. and i always joke... are you trying to kill me? That is our little catch phrase for... OF COURSE IDE LOVE SOME.But i cant. and wont :faint:

I can no longer be his eating partner :bandit in crime.

He supports me but sometimes bringing me food is the only way he knows how. I am trying to show him how I have to change to be healthy. If you can a old dog new tricks i guess with time we will all be able to train our loved ones to give more verbal support then food support.

Once your DW realizes you arent leaving and you are getting skinny she will see the benefits.

Good Luck!.

Thank you all for your replies and words of encouragement. Sometimes things just get to me a little and I need a little prodding to keep me focused.

When I got banded (Oct 2nd) I also quit tobacco. For those of you who have done that...you know the emotional ups and downs that you can encounter! If I had to guess or imagine what PMS was like, I'd say that quiting tobacco would come close. LOL.

So, I have no vices! food as I knew it is history, Tobacco is not in my life anymore, Sex has been non-existant for the last two years, and I quit drinking alcohol several years ago! But...I think I have a thing for sugar free popsickles now. I do at least a half dozen a day! Hopefully that is one vice that can't be or won't be taken away from me.

Hey, I appreciate this web site and I really appreciate the support and encouragement I get here. I'm "hell bent" on losing that 10# by Christmas! Nothing will stand in my way....not even me.

Hugs to you all..........Jimboss

Okay so I went to the Dr. yesterday and i was so hoping for a fill....but he said no b/c I have been having heartburn. He said that if he were to fill me now, it would make it worse. So he put me on Nexium for the next month to get it under control. I go back on the 19th of Dec. So for all of those out there having heartburn, call your dr to resolve your issue....lol that way when you go in for a fill, you can get one..

I hope everyone has a great Turkey day and may your holiday be blessed with self control and weight reduction

Bah! Sorry KStar. He's a stickler, our doc. Get that reflux under control - amazingly I haven't had reflux since banding. Amazing.

I was doing so great before this week. Slow, but steady - was down to 218 from 232 before our trip to the inlaws (they don't know about my surgery). I was able to stick with my grits (fave) for Breakfast and was able to bring Soup for lunch. MIL always has sandwich stuff and salads, dips and crackers for lunches, so I just brought soup and had a couple of spoons of crab salad and salmon dip, because they had Protein (and she insisted). I successfully fended off her attempts to feed me pie. I was not as successful at avoiding the white chocolate pretzels, however. Sigh. I was able to get soup at most restaurants, although they were higher in calories than Campbell's, I'm sure. We did go to a pizza restaurant and I did have to eat a small slice of pizza. I ate tiny bites and CHEWED. I ate about 3/4 - not the spongy outer crust, just the thin bottom. I also had a couple of bites of cinnamon pizza and a dab of Pasta salad. All of this could have fit on a small plate. I was so full. Amazing. I didn't get in all of my Water, so I'll have to go back to liquids and drown myself today to prepare for tomorrow.

I'm back up to 222. I know 2 will come off by hydrating myself - I'm feeling swollen and thirsty. I see the doctor on Tuesday and want to be back down to 218, or at least 220. I still have to do mushies. Bummer. I really hope he'll give me a fill at first opportunity - I'm feeling more hungry since having a taste of "real" food. Gotta jump back on the horse...