Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Info Needed On Diets And What To Expect

Hi. I just signed up for this site. I hope I dont offend anyone for signing up, Im not the one having surgery, my husband is. He works long hours, on call, for the railroad. He was excited that I signed up and could gain info and share with him though. He has never had surgery in his entire life, not even tonsilectomy. He is starting on a six month program before the surgery actually is done. I was hoping to gain insight from real people (instead of doctors who havent experienced it themselves or from brochures). Here are some of our questions. Hopefully someone will have time to answer. Thanks in advance :)

How much pain will he realistically expect the first few days? (He wants to do this during a week of vacation time)

What (other than broth) did you find helped during the liquid only stage?

What foods did you enjoy during the puree stage? (how long did this restriction last for you)

Does all of your family know? (he doesnt plan to tell them because they are insensitive individuals who wouldnt understand) If not, how do you act during holiday gatherings if they notice you dont eat as much?

When did you begin to notice an increase in energy and the desire to really work out?

Did you have any complications from the surgery? (He isnt too awful scared, but having never had surgery it really is a big deal. I am so happy for him though. He is looking forward to having a future with our kids vs sitting on the sidelines)

Welcome!

I think pain is a purely individual thing. For me, I had some minor complications, immediately following my surgery, and ended up staying in the hospital for 6 days. After the third day I only needed my pain meds (I was still on a pump at that point) to help me sleep at night. The fifth night I didn't use anything, and didn't use any of the pain meds they gave me when I came home (not even Tylenol). But, I have a relatively high tolerance for pain (lifetime Migraines and chronic lower back pain).

When I was on full liquids (from the day I came home from the hospital) I enjoyed chocolate Muscle Milk Lite (its sugar free), Decaf hot tea, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth flavored Protein powder (especially when made with chicken broth instead of straight water), whipped cottage cheese, unsweetened applesauce, Gelatein 20 (a high-protein Gelatin...20 grams of Protein in a 4oz cup), and cream of Tomato Soup (made with skim milk).

I never actually "pureed" anything, when I got to that stage. I ate a lot of tuna salad, and fish, ground turkey, fat-free (but not whipped) cottage cheese, hummus, thinly sliced deli meats (turkey, chicken, and roast beef...all very lean and low-sodium)...anything "soft", "ground", or easily flaked. I was initially on this stage for a week, then developed breakthrough acid reflux. When I called my surgeon about it, he added a daily Prevacid solutab to my meds, and put me back on full liquids for an additional 3 weeks. (I still ate fish and tuna salad, and had no problems with that.)

Everyone who is anyone in my life knows I've had surgery. I've been very open about it, and don't bother myself with what anybody else thinks. On the whole, I've found people to be very supportive, and thrilled with my progress so far. I make jokes about my eating...when waitresses look at me funny, because I don't order anything to drink, or when I ask them nicely to please only put 2 oz of fish, and 2 TBSP of veggies, on my plate, and to please put the rest in a to-go box before bringing it to the table...and it takes all the discomfort out of the situation. :)

I felt an increase in energy within 2 weeks of surgery, although I still had days (for several more weeks) during which I had NO energy. I began walking on a treadmill 10 days after my surgery, and progressed to walking an hour (at 3.0 mph) twice a day, each time followed by an hour of Water aerobics. Yeah...call me crazy, but I am thoroughly LOVING losing this weight!! :)

My complications were related to increased inflammation in my sleeve, immediately following surgery. The morning after surgery, I was taken for a leak test, during which they found my stomach so inflamed the dye wasn't able to pass through...at all! I went back to my room, they put an NG tube back down my throat, and left it in another 4 days. I was NPO during that entire time...not even ice chips to suck on...in order to give my sleeve time to settle down, and the inflammation to resolve. The evening of the 5th day they removed the NG tube, and let me try sips of Water during the night. The following morning they allowed me to move to Clear Liquids, and I enjoyed some beef broth. (I tried Jello that day, but it didn't feel "good" going down...I still haven't had regular Jello. LOL) The day after shifting to Clear Liquids I was moved to "full liquids", and allowed to drink my first Protein shake (I love the chocolate Muscle Milk Lite!). When I had no problems with that, they decided to let me go home (YAY!). With the exception of the wicked bad acid reflux (which I never had prior to surgery), I have had no problems at all. I follow my surgeon's/nutritionist's directions, take tiny bites, chew them like crazy, and take 30-45 minutes to eat my meals....and I'm steadily losing weight. :)

If you, or your husband, have any additional questions, feel free to reach out...I'm happy to lend any help I can. :)

Laura

slowlosing

welcome to the board

glad your hubby will be having the WLS and you are looking around for him to help, advise etc.

none of us sleevers are the same - we tell each other not to ever compare with others

that being said, there is no common amount of time period or pain/or how much pain you'll be in -

i was home on the 3rd day after WLS - really didn't hurt - wasn't doing handsprings (still don't) but i felt good.

there are people that take a couple of weeks to heal, but like i said, some are good to go in a few days/a week or two, but some take longer, thats ok.

some people are also extremely tired after WLS and take frequent naps, just relax, your hubby will be recuperating from major surgery

liquid phase, some people have difficulty drinking Water (i did), i loved my broth and sugar free popsicles though.

couldn't drink Protein shakes for awhile - had trouble keeping it down

drinking is one of the most important things to do with the WLS - drink as much as you can at this early period - you must not get dehydrated

truth is, Water is the most important at all times - eventually hubby will be expected to drink 64 oz - can be hard to do for some - but its necessary -

i had problems getting in all my fluids, still do at times

most people go through a pureed/mushy stage - my doc didn't "prescibe"

I told my mom, aunt and uncle, 4 siblings and best friend about my sleeve surgery. now tell others on a "person to person" basis

energy increase - everything for me seemed so gradual - don't really know when it happened - - extra energy slowly just happened - wasn't aware of when it started

complications with surgery - some people do have issues after surgery - nausious, gas etc

i was fortunate not to have any problems

congrats to hubby for embarking on this journey

what a great surgery he chose for being his first surgery ever

having your support - thats wonderful/important

he will love his new best friend, the sleeve, for the rest of his life - its obvious that you are his "first" best friend

good luck to him and you

speedy recovery

Hello, I do not feel offended, it is cool that you are looking out for him. Here are my answers to your questions...

1. How much pain will he realistically expect the first few days?

I took 2 weeks off work, mainly because I could and it was recommended. I used some vacation time and short term disability. I feel I could have gone back to work, but only because I sit at a desk all day. I am still unable to lift anything too heavy. My pain was minimal, I was in the hospital the day of surgery and then half of the next day. I have only taken 1 pain medicine (Advil) since I have been home. I am feeling good now, it has been 2 weeks.

2. What (other than broth) did you find helped during the liquid only stage?

I had two liquid stages, Clear Liquids and regular liquids. In clear liquids, it was really only Water and broth for me, but I like the Knorr broth, I think it is more flavorfull. The liquid stage was a lot of Protein shakes, I like Atkins, also diet v8 Splash is good.

3. What foods did you enjoy during the puree stage?

Puree stage - weeks 2-4 for me. I enjoy mashed potatoes the most! Also, flavored apple sauce and Nature's Child Spongebob Squished banana Squeezers.

4. Does all of your family know?

My whole family knows, but they are very supportive. It is sad that his family is not like that, but you seem to be and that is important.

5. When did you begin to notice an increase in energy and the desire to really work out?

I am only two weeks out, but I feel better walking, especially after surgery, to get things moving again.

6. Did you have any complications from the surgery?

I had no complications from surgery, I feel well and it went better than expected. I did have a hiatal hernia fixed while I was under and a swollen lymph node removed, but like I said, I feel better.

Good luck to you and your husband!

For me, after the first 3 days, I didn't really have pain, I had discomfort. But it's different for everyone. But, since I have a very physical job, I had to take several weeks off before I could do the heavy lifting required.

unjury makes a decent Protein packed chicken broth, during the full liquid stage, I lived on Protein shakes and strained cream of chicken Soup.< /p>

Every doctor is different. Mine let me go straight from full liquids to soft food. He just said to make sure I chewed really good.

My family is very much like his. If he doesn't want them to know, he can do what I do. When they ask, tell most of the truth. I tell them that my dr told me I was going to be diabetic in 2 years and dead in 10 if I didn't make changes, so I started working with a nutritionist who has me on a tailored diet and I have to stay under 1500 calories a day. I'm not lying, and if they follow me, the worst that can happen is they learn to eat healthy. And I'm very good at making a plate looked fuller than it is, and that I've eaten more than I have.

I never really got more drive to workout, I just make myself do it. After the 1st 50 pounds came off, it got a lot more enjoyable though (ok, since we're being honest, I'll say I don't feel like I'm gonna pass out or die anymore, so that's kinda like being enjoyable right?)

The only problem I had is that I had EXTREME cotton mouth for the first 6 weeks. Make sure he has a Water bottle within reach at all times. You don't want to have to go back to the hospital for dehydration. Other than that, my only problem has been that I have to run to the local thrift store every few weeks to get new pants, cause Im not payin full price for jeans I will only be able to wear for a month :)

I'm so glad that he has your support. The fact that you are on here for him speaks volumes of the love and care that you have for him. This is, at times, a hard road to walk, but, with my wife on board, it's a lot easier.

Also, start looking into recipes now. Emilybites.com has amazing recipe ideas that you can start using now to help get started during preop

Thank you all so much for the replies. Hopefully I will get even more. Im sure that he will enjoy getting to read some real experiences from different individuals. I have looked up some of the recommended products and Im making a list. I just want this to go as easy for him as possible. I know it is scary for someone who has never been put to sleep (he even has his wisdom teeth) so the more knowledge going in of what to expect, the better it will be. Im making notes of what to make and will try out some different things before surgery. Thanks "theoldmusicbox" for the tip about thrift stores, I will definitely do that, hadnt even considered the fact that clothes will become baggy :) and also the tip for what to say to the family!

Thanks again everyone, and I hope everyone continues to do so well!