Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice For Experienced Vsg-Ers

Hello group, this is my first post here, I've found so much information here, I'm glad this webpage exists. So here's my run-down on where I need some advice/help. I have 120lbs to lose and I have been going through the six month process for insurance approval, I have one more visit with my primary doctor, and one more visit each with my nutritionist & exercise therapist. Yesterday, my surgeon did an endoscopy to check the health of my stomach and pyloric valve, and he says it looked good but I had a little bile in my stomach. His suggestion is that I have a full gastric bypass, something he has suggested since we first met because of the greater weight loss potential, but I don't want the full bypass! I've explained to him that I have young children that I need to be able to keep up with and can't afford down time due to dumping syndrome or feel sluggish/become unhealthy because of absorption issues. I've not had issues with acid or bile reflux before, even when pregnant, so I am very hesitant to change the type of surgery based on just that. I will note that my surgeon is a very nice man, listens to what I am saying and explains things thoroughly, and said that the decision is up to me, that he will do either surgery should I be approved by my insurance. So. . . my two items that I need some help with are: are there folks out there who were able to achieve an over 100# weight loss with vertical sleeve; and are there folks who had NEW, lasting reflux issues with the sleeve? My 'gut' is telling me to stick with the sleeve! Thanks for any input!

I have lost more then 100 pounds with the sleeve. What you lose depends on how much you put into it. I used to get heartburn and acid reflux badly before the surgery....since the surgery I have had acid reflux about two times, however It was after I overate my sleeve. I wouldn't personally get the by-pass due to the malabsorption....and how many friends I have seen look so bad after it. Good luck to you!

I am ONE YEAR out today, and have lost 95.3 lbs to date. I am still steadily losing, although slower than I was the first 6 months, and see no reason why I won't hit my goal of losing 111 lbs total (15.7 lbs to go!)

I suffered from SEVERE acid reflux before my surgery, to the point that I would frequently vomit pure stomach acid, and no meds helped. I have not experienced any acid reflux at all since surgery, NONE!!! In fact, I have never felt better!

Hope this helps, and good luck making your decision! I am so so so glad I chose the sleeve!

Kristina

It doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. I personally wouldn't do the by-pass, I've heard too many horror stories as compared to the sleeve.

I am three months out and look and the stats in my ticker - I went through a year of appts and 6+ month of MWL prior to my surgery. The complications and risks with the sleeve are a bit lower than with a bypass, and statistically the amount of weight one can lose and keep off is neck and neck with a bypass.

complications, risks with sleeve are a bit lower than with bypass, and statistically the amount of weight one can lose and keep off is neck and neck with a bypass.

Chimera

hi there,

i think there are many more complications with gastric bypass. Malabsorption, intestines. Larger/quicker weight loss might be excellent initially w/bypass - but many people gain some/all weight back

there are not statistics showing the success/failure of the sleeve since it hase only been done recently in U.S. I know, i know it has been done for a long time earlier.

i don't think anything about bypass and sleeve are similar except both help you loose weight, both might give you problems, but in the long run IMO - sleeve is much better, less invasive - and next to sliced bread - the best thing in the world

good luck

Thanks so much for your input, I'm still on the sleeve train!! I've talked myself through it again & I'm sticking with the sleeve!! I feel I will be successful with the sleeve & meet my goals!! Thanks again! (I didn't realize I posted this twice) :)

I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time as my sleeve. One doc repaired the hernia and then the second doc did the sleeve. I had horrible reflux prior to surgery and NOW IT'S GONE!!!! And so is 75 pounds!!!!

I have at least 100 more to lose. It is possible.

Stick with your instinct. Don't do something that isn't right for you and your lifestyle. I LOVE my sleeve.