Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I supposed to just wear a figleaf?

Hi all,

I'm so discouraged. I'm in the preop phase, getting the preliminary tests I need. I feel awfully unattractive. I've been trying to find clothes that fit me (BMI 47, size 3X), make me feel presentable, and are moderately priced. And so far I can't find any!:D

I've spent hours trying on possible clothes at Target, only to dislike all the ones I bought once I was home. I took them back for a refund. I spent hours more at a website which seemed to have just what I needed, but discovered when they arrived that my favorites were no longer available (even though they showed as "in stock" when I ordered them). And they were so huge I couldn't wear them (even though I followed their size chart). :) So they go back too.

The only keepers I've found are maternity gaucho pants with a bellyband (a wide soft waistband) and 2 tee shirts from Target.

Can you recommend reliable places to buy clothes? Or tips when shopping? Where do you buy your clothes?

NancyRN

Aw Nancy, I'm sorry. I know how that feels. I was a size 20 and only 5'3" and I have struggled for so long with trying to find big clothes that fit but didn't make me look like my head was sticking out of the top of a tent! I think Old Navy has a good selection of plus size stuff. If you have a store near you you'll find lots in the clearance section -- one advantage of being larger, they seem to have many clearance items left over!

I also sort of threw in the towel pre-op. I knew I would be gaining some weight (as part of the terrible Last Supper mentaility I had) and I just wanted to feel conmfortable. I bought elastic waistband yoga pants -- just far enough away from sweats that I felt presentable. Then I bought some cute button-up shirts. Together it looks pulled together enough but still comfy.

I love to shop at Fashion Bug. They have really good sales and clearence. You can go on their web site if you dont have one near by. I have felt the same way. Soon you will look back at this and be so much happier. Good luck.

I for one hate Target or Walmart plus size clothes. They look great sitting there but once you wash them ONE time, you have essentially wasted your money. They fade, shrink, dont hold their shape, I could go on and on.

I hate Lane Bryant because they try and sell you all of these designs that look great on skinny people and just make you look like a fat person trying to look like you can wear skinny people clothes.

My favorite place went out of business so I can't suggest that.... =(

So....my "new" favorite place is the major department stores. They all have "women's" section that you will not be able to find on your own so I suggest asking. It will usually be on the top floor in the very very very back. (I know this because I walked around for an hour one time too embarrassed to ask for the plus size section, never found it - had to ask anyway). Right now most department stores have their previous season fashions on sale 50% to 75% off. I went two days ago in search of a very important basic black dress that I had misplaced.

I have just recently been banded so I browsed the sales but didn't buy anything. However, if I were in need of clothes I would have made out like a bandit there were skirts, shirts, pants, tops, tanks, you name it, all name brands for anywhere between $12 to $60. These were all wash and wear materials that would not need dry cleaning. I have several favorties Vicky V, Karen Bane....

Good luck.

Eddie Bauer's website or catalog has a good selection in 3x

Same for Land's End

For in-store shopping I go to Dress Barn, Avenue, Lane Bryant or Sears

I hate Lane Bryant because they try and sell you all of these designs that look great on skinny people and just make you look like a fat person trying to look like you can wear skinny people clothes.

I agree - I usually buy very plain t-shirts and button downs there.

Ya know I have been meaning to get to Fashion bug... this lady had on the coolest shirt the other day so I asked her where she got it and it was Fashion Bug.

If you are looking for dressy or work clothes, check out torrid. They have nice clothing but can bit a bit pricey, the clearance stuff is great. They are owned by Hot Topic and have a good range of stuff. ~Mandy

I used to order from the JustMySize.com. Good prices and comfy clothes or Silhouettes.com, I've purchased from both of these online stores and haven't had any problems. Good luck--clothes shopping with only suck for a little while longer!

Try Silhouettes.com, I loved that store b4 Band, only thing I can use now are 1x in the tops. The styles are great and the prices are good, only thing is they use thin models for plus size clothes...WTF?

Try Silhouettes.com, I loved that store b4 Band, only thing I can use now are 1x in the tops. The styles are great and the prices are good, only thing is they use thin models for plus size clothes...WTF?

I just want to second that WTF lol. What are those ppl thinking???

I like to shop at Catherine's and Ross. Also, the brands I really like are Wee Be Bop and Key Lime Pie. You can find those brands online. good luck.

My favorite has closed. DISLIKE Walmart AND TARGET PLUS SIZES!!

Try avenue, jjill, I like lands end, LOVE dillards woman they have great sales!

I usually go to Ross and Avenue. I also pick up a piece or two from Catherine's and the Womens Dress Barn from time-to-time. If I see something in a catalog that I really like, I order it in two sizes while both are in stock, then return the one that doesn't fit.