Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm curious. Do you still find yourself dieting after the surgery or do you just eat less? Initially when I had my band surgery, I was pretty strict with my diet, but after I had problems with it, I definitely got more lax about the things I ate. I would lean on "slider foods" when my band was being super tight and fussy. I'm curious if you find that you're sticking to a strict regemin of eating properly, or dieting (I know that might sound crazy, but many bandsters I knew still followed weight watchers, Atkins, etc), or is the restricted volume all you find that you need to do to lose? Yes, I know the recommendations by the docs, I'm just curious to hear from peoples real life activity.

Your meals will definately be protien heavy. I actually did Atkins for 3 months preop and think is has helped me maintain my weight loss pace. The post op diet wasnt such a shock to my body.

I guess if I could term it dieting if I really wanted to, but it doesn't feel like dieting. I eat my Proteins first, veggies second and try to limit simple carbs, especially sugar. I try to get in 60-80 grams of Protein a day. So I am following a guideline. I will have a bite of dessert once in a while if we are out to eat and someone orders something. I have an occassional piece of chocolate (a square, not a whole bar) When I was dieting, I cheated and would fall off the wagon completely if that happened. Now if I have the occassional piece of chocolate, I don't consider it a cheat and I don't have any desire or ability to go on a bender with food afterward. I feel no need to follow a certain menu or diet plan, I just stick to the guidelines and it is working. It is the ONLY time I have made an effort to lose weight where I have actually enjoyed the journey!!

I didn't to lose my first (current) 50 lbs. But now that I have been stalled for 7 weeks I might need to. Grant it, I already eat pretty healthy, but I work out a lot and I would just stick to 3 meals/day, no Snacks, 9 cups of Water, and make sure all of my meals had Protein. Not really sure what "diet' I want to try. The whole reason I wanted this surgery is so that I would never have to diet again.

I don't use the term diet, but I do moniter what I eat. I will allow myself to have a snack, but in no way is my diet based on processed unhealthy foods as it once was. My food is mostly Protein based, but I will eat a few crackers a day.

I really hate the word "diet". It has so many bad connotations around it. I am closing on 2 years post op, and I wouldn't say that I diet. I have made a lot of changes to my meals, but they are all second nature now. I believe that you need to make changes or you will not be successful, but they need to be changes you can live with. I eat very healthy now, always eat my Protein and veggies first, no drinking with meals, and I stay away from the white stuff for the most part. I will, however, have some ice cream or chocolate, and I don't feel bad about it. Some people take it to the extreme and have very strict "diets", but I choose to do something that I know I could live with for a lifetime. On the other hand, some people do not make changes, still eat all the same junk that they ate before, and then wonder why they either can't reach their goal or wonder why they start to gain weight.

I always like Eggface's quote "Weight loss surgery is not a do-over (repeat the same mistakes = get a similar outcome.) Weight loss surgery is a do-better (make some lifestyle changes you can continue forever.) "

Even with the sleeve, you will have to make changes, but I do not consider it a "diet". You can't expect to eat fries, chips, and milkshakes all the time and still lose the weight. The sleeve is a tool and an amazing one at that, but you have to work with it to be successful. I may have not been like others...I never tracked anything, never counted carbs, and I don't exercise like mad, but I made significant changes to what I eat. Because of this, I may have lost slower than others, but I reached my goal in 18 months, have went below goal since then, and know I can do what I am doing until I am a little old Lady and not feel like I am missing out.

Supersweetum, I really like what you had to say. I would agree that I have made major changes in my eating habits since my lapband surgery (having revision to sleeve next month). I definitely see a difference in my eating from a year ago and have made many lifestyle changes. I think everyone hit it right on the head though and heard my question for what it was (something that doesn't always happen on these here boards!). I'm glad to hear that most who responded didnt' necessarily "diet" but have made the necessary "life changes" and were still successful. That feels encouraging. ^_^

I really hate the word "diet". It has so many bad connotations around it. I am closing on 2 years post op, and I wouldn't say that I diet. I have made a lot of changes to my meals, but they are all second nature now. I believe that you need to make changes or you will not be successful, but they need to be changes you can live with. I eat very healthy now, always eat my Protein and veggies first, no drinking with meals, and I stay away from the white stuff for the most part. I will, however, have some ice cream or chocolate, and I don't feel bad about it. Some people take it to the extreme and have very strict "diets", but I choose to do something that I know I could live with for a lifetime. On the other hand, some people do not make changes, still eat all the same junk that they ate before, and then wonder why they either can't reach their goal or wonder why they start to gain weight.

I always like Eggface's quote "Weight loss surgery is not a do-over (repeat the same mistakes = get a similar outcome.) Weight loss surgery is a do-better (make some lifestyle changes you can continue forever.) "

Even with the sleeve, you will have to make changes, but I do not consider it a "diet". You can't expect to eat fries, chips, and milkshakes all the time and still lose the weight. The sleeve is a tool and an amazing one at that, but you have to work with it to be successful. I may have not been like others...I never tracked anything, never counted carbs, and I don't exercise like mad, but I made significant changes to what I eat. Because of this, I may have lost slower than others, but I reached my goal in 18 months, have went below goal since then, and know I can do what I am doing until I am a little old Lady and not feel like I am missing out.

EXACTLY! Thank you for so eloquently saying what I was thinking. I have taken the same approach, have had a nice steady loss (still losing), and most importantly I have enjoyed the journey without feeling deprived. Kudos to you!

Supersweetum, I really like what you had to say. I would agree that I have made major changes in my eating habits since my lapband surgery (having revision to sleeve next month). I definitely see a difference in my eating from a year ago and have made many lifestyle changes. I think everyone hit it right on the head though and heard my question for what it was (something that doesn't always happen on these here boards!). I'm glad to hear that most who responded didnt' necessarily "diet" but have made the necessary "life changes" and were still successful. That feels encouraging. ^_^

Thanks! I got the sleeve done so I wouldn't have to diet anymore, and I don't! To me, making healthy changes is not dieting. I shudder when I think of the Cabbage Soup diet, the Grapefruit diet, slimfast, you name it! And many, many people still diet after the surgery "aka Atkins type of diet". I really do believe that there are many bad carbs out there, but I am not going to let it stop me from eating a banana. Of course, everyone has to do what works the best for them. I have chosen to take the path of a well-rounded diet with Protein, veggies, fruit, yogurt and milk products, and healthy fats (like nuts, 2% milk, 2%yogurt).

I am glad that you have already made the changes with your band, and I am glad to see that you are going for a revision (sorry, but I have just heard so many horror stories about the band!). I had lost weight before I had the sleeve (70lbs and then got pregnant). I had gained some back, but not all, and had kept many of the healthy changes (no pop, 1 pork chop instead of 2!). So when I got the sleeve, I didn't feel deprived. I think you will have great success! Good Luck in your journey!

I eat a vegetarian "diet" now. If by diet you mean watching what I eat, counting calories etc. then NO I dont because I can eat as much or as little fruits and veggies as I want/need and still be under my physicians reccomendations on most days. I love my new lifestyle.