Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Stuff They Don't Tell You

I am also glad that this topic is brought to surface. I am so interested in more experiences. I so far am reading Constipation, bad breathe, taste buds changing (low tolerance to sweets), and clues to knowing when you are full..

I am also glad that this topic is brought to surface. I am so interested in more experiences. I so far am reading Constipation, bad breathe, taste buds changing (low tolerance to sweets), and clues to knowing when you are full..

And don't forget never trust a fart! That just makes me giggle.

One more for the ultra sensitive to smells over here. And speaking of which, I really didnt expect my entire body to smell different, Not really bad, Just weird smells.

Yeah agree with this one like pee is different not just in looks, to be as delicate as I can lol

other female parts taste and smell different not gross or nasty just different lol

I know it affects men too on um consistency and taste when they are on a high Protein diet just never gave it a thought that oh yeah that’s all gonna smell and taste different too btw!

(and I could be the only one and just did TMI on my private life LOL)

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'd better take a walk when my daughter is cooking. I am pre-surgery and cannot handle the smell of korean food. Then again, I can come home and eat out in the screen room.

I’m not sensitive to smells but I have always had a good nose anyway I can smell things 10mins before other people, actually stopped a fire in my house because of my good nose when the tumble dryer plug started to melt I smelt the burning first and hunted it down sniffing the location out even when everyone else said can’t smell a thing!

But the gag reflex sure is up way high had issues before with gallbladder and ibs so I can puke at the drop of a hat if I smell something off its on and I am heaving.

Think that’s partly why I puked so much after the sleeve my body was so used to being sick its so easy to do so.

I was surprised at how everything has smelled so much stronger to me. Every perfume, hair tonic, dog food, it's enough to make me gag. The taste has changed for me, but I haven't noticed the sweet thing. I'll have to pay attention.

I also noticed the teeth breath thing. Glad to know it's only a Protein thing....Oh yes... that's all I eat anymore. LOL

I hiccup a lot, never did that before. More in the morning than later in the day. My nose runs, it is a signal that I should not eat another bite. I am still on full liquids and it does it. I also am very sensitive to sweet tastes. The RTD shakes gag me with the strong sweet taste. I have to use twice as much Water in any of the drink powder sticks, they are super sweet! You have nasty breath all the time, I hate to breath on people. Also I burp so much more than before. My new frankentummy gurgles and makes crazy noises when I drink, especially warm drinks!!

Never trust a fart... Those are true words!!

• I was tired longer than most. I didn't really feel fully up to speed till about 5 months out.
  • I had a couple of hard, weird lumps in my stomach that didn't match up to where my stomach was removed. They disappeared after a few months.
  • I had to run out and buy a spare nightie for resting post-op (see never trust a fart comment many many, many times)
  • Lactose intolerance is fairly common post-op and manifests as gassy diarrhea. I had to switch to Unjury chicken Protein to clear up the lactose issues. I'm more lactose-tolerant now, but I'm not back 100%. I can eat a small amount of dairy, but if I have it two days in a row, watch out!

What about your sense of smell? After getting home I had to unplug my scentsy warmers. 22 days out and I still can't stomach strong smells!

I swear that I have like a super sniffer now. Any weird smells bother me. And I can't even stand the smell of coffee, and before surgery I loved to drink coffee.< /p>

How have you folks done with coffee? I LOVE coffee and wonder how long after my surgery I'll be able to tolerate it.

too bad it doesn't boost your eye sight and hearing.. lol i'd be like hells yes, where do i sign? lol :) wls makes you superhuman! lol xD

thank you guys for your honesty.. and for the lol's! :) some of you trying to phrase things politely was so funny. :)

I know what you mean. The liquid Tylenol made me GAG! Wow was that stuff sweet. Yuk.

The children's liquid Tylenol makes me gag, too! Try the liquid "Cold and Sore Throat" Tylenol (or the Walgreens brand). It has more Tylenol per dose, and has a minty flavor (much less sweet).

Wow I check back in on this one and three pages!! I have not even had the surgery yet but I have been on a high Protein very low carb diet for a bit and I can attest to some of the things mentioned. The ketosis breath and different bowel habits. I don't like the breath thing and I brush like crazy and chew enough gum to build a tire. The bowel difference is not that bad because before the IBS was aweful. The sweet taste thing seems different too. I can't even drink regular Gatorade anymore and the G2 is borderline. I love Powerade Zero and drinks tons of plain Water, probably average 80 oz a day. Let's keep this one going because I know there are people looking for some of these anwers every day.

Never trust a fart!! LMAO!!!!

Would it be possible to get this one pinned? It's turned into a great thread.