Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skinny Models Banned in Spain!

Carlene

MADRID, Spain - Spain’s top fashion show has turned away a slew of models on grounds they are too skinny — an unprecedented swipe at body images blamed for encouraging eating disorders among young people.

Organizers of the pageant, known as the Pasarela Cibeles, used a mathematical formula to calculate the models’ body mass index — a measure of their weight in relation to their height — and 30 percent of the women flunked, said the Association of Fashion Designers of Spain.

The association said Friday it wanted models at the show running from Sept. 18-22 to project “an image of beauty and health” and shun a gaunt, emaciated look.

The decision was made as part of a voluntary agreement with the Madrid regional government, said Jesus del Pozo, a designer who is part of the association, said Thursday.

Last year’s show, also called Madrid Fashion Week, drew protests from medical associations and women’s advocacy groups because some of the models were positively bone-thin.

'Mirrors for many young women'

This time the Madrid regional government decided to intervene and pressure organizers to hire fuller-figured women as role models for young girls obsessed with being thin and prone to starving themselves into sickness, said Concha Guerra, deputy finance minister of the regional administration.

Fashion shows, Guerra said, “are mirrors for many young women.”

Del Pozo said this was the first time skinny models have been snubbed at a major international fashion show.

Ryan Brown, director of marketing and public relations in North America for the Elite modeling agency in New York City, agreed. “It is very unprecedented,” said Brown, who has nothing to do with the Spanish show.

He welcomed the decision, saying “I think it is great to promote health.”

Madrid’s show, which features mainly Spanish designers, is not as prestigious as catwalks in Paris or Milan but “it is not at the bottom of the pile,” he said.

Hoping to change the industry

The impact of rejecting skinny women would have been greater at those other glitzier venues. Still, he said, “I am sure the industry is taking note.”

The body mass index is a tool for doctors who study obesity. It is calculated by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared, and multiplying that total by 703.

If the resulting number is between 18.5 and 24.9, the person’s weight is normal. Below 18.5 they are underweight. In the case of the Madrid show, organizers rejected women with indices under 18.

Brown of the Elite agency said fashion shows reflect the tastes of clothing designers, who for now prefer the Kate Moss look as opposed to the curvier dimensions of models such as Cindy Crawford in years past.

“They don’t want voluptuous girls any more,” he said. “It would be nice if fashion got back to that.”

I just read that article. It's about time the fashion industry used "real" women as models for the clothes they expect to sell. Now, if we can only get them to change their views on a size 12 model being labeled "plus size."

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that designers refer to models as "hangers." That the models are there to show off the clothes, not the woman. It made sense to me anyway...

storm in a SEAcup (or C cup?) over swimwear http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/fashion/index.php/heraldsun/comments/storm_in_a_teacup_over_swimwear/

At last night’s closing RAFW parade at the St Kilda Sea Baths, swimwear label MaraJoara discarded the catwalk models used in previous parades in favour of “real women”. The designer behind the label, Leesa Fogarty, claims RAFW organisers weren’t impressed.

During the parade, models of all shapes and sizes took to the catwalk: short, well-endowed, petite, tall, skinny, pear-shaped, muscular, young and old - they were a cross section of body types. It was fantastic to see such a wide representation of the so-called “average” Aussie woman, and I’m sure looking at the pictures (see the Herald Sun’s Picture gallery) women out there can appreciate what styles may better suit their bodies.

... Even though the women in the show were "normal" they sure look pretty skinny to me... Interesting that this has spead to Austrailia...

Vinesqueen .......you are right about the Aussie swimwear models at the Marajoara...they were all thin women...the largest was an Australian size 12 (US10)and 5ft 9in .....I certainly would call that a large size!

As a matter of fact the average Aussie female is a size 16 (US14) and 5ft 5in.....much shorter and "rounder" than any of the "so called large models" used.

It is pathetic the way these designers make a big song and dance about using "real" or "large" women for their shows when most women can only dream of being that "big"....what sort of message is that giving our kids, that a woman 5ft9in and a size 12(US10) is a "big" woman!