Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non Protein Shake Ideas For Lots Of Protein

I'm kinda " over" Protein Shakes. They are so sweet to me. Or maybe I need to mix them up

A bit. Anyway. What are some other high Protein foods that are not shakes?

Hey Joy: I got over the Protein Shakes before I even got into them--my sleeve rejected each and every one in a most vigorous (and unpleasant) way. I make my own--I don't know if you're just looking for high-protein foods in general, or things that would sort of work like a shake but not be a shake. Here's some ideas for both:

1. Animal Proteins like eggs and meat and fish are great sources of Protein. You can make salads (use yogurt or Greek yogurt instead of mayo, or a little ricotta cheese -- Lissa's idea!) with shredded or minced eggs or meat or fish. You can make lunch-meat rollups with cheese in the middle--Eggface's website has several great combos for this, and she even browns them in a skillet to melt the cheese inside the lunch meat--sounds delicious!

2. Vegetable proteins like Beans, nuts, tofu--all delicious and pretty soft. I like to hide a bunch of protein in a smoothie that I make without that nasty powder. I use Greek yogurt, almond milk, (tofu or powdered milk to up the protein, if I need/want it), some fruit, a squirt or two of sugar-free Torani Syrup, and about a cup of raw spinach--YES, spinach. It turns the smoothie an odd color, but you won't taste the spinach and it's FABULOUS for you. You can also get brave and put in some cooked white beans--low sodium, please, that you rinsed well--maybe a couple of tablespoons, tops--they will blend in and give you extra Fiber and protein and you won't know they're there.

3. You live in Wisconsin--dairy foods have GREAT protein--cheese, milk, curds, yogurt, etc.

4. Anything can be made into a Soup or puree--if it tastes good, try it in soup format. I took some chicken broth, some canned chicken, a little cilantro, and some lime juice and zapped it in the magic bullet--heated up, it tasted better than restaurant soup, and it was CHEAP and EASY. Zap up some black beans with a little pico de gallo--heat up, top with cheese--delicious bean enchilada soup!

5. Avocado is surprisingly high in vegetable protein. Enjoy an avocado smushed up on a piece of turkey lunchmeat. Delicious!

Plain greek yogurt mixed with a bit of MIO drink mix is tasty & an excellent source of Protein. I also like low-fat cottage cheese. These are both easy for me to tolerate.

How far out are you? I remember your beautiful picture whenever I first started coming here, or not long after, so I believe you are in "full" mode (regular foods). If so, then I suggest.........

Ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, laughing cow blue cheese wedges (or other varieties), greek yogurt, beef Jerky, Pork rinds, shrimp, canadian bacon, eggs, fish, any meat (but watch your fat - that's why I can't eat too much avocado, fat makes me sick.. God didn't hear me correctly obviously because I had wished for it to have been sweets, sigh), ohhh and there is something you can add to Soups to make it higher in Protein. Grr it's on the tip of my tongue.... I am thinking TMP or TPV or something. Grr. I'll have to find it.

I generally eat shrimp as a snack or canadian bacon or even turkey bacon here and there. Sometimes for lunch, sometimes for a snack.

Greek yogurt - I buy plain then I get sugar free Torani Syrup and make my own mixture. Saves 50-90 calories extra that's in the good mixed up stuff (i.e. Dannon greek black cherry yogurt for example).

You can always add Protein Powder into some of the things you are making as well. So if you are craving something sweet, perhaps make some sugar free Jello with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury powder mixed in it. I say some though as it depends on the temperature of what you are cooking too. But if you focus on real meat as an intake, you will get your Protein level up. A good "rule" that I live by is to "protein load" in the morning so that I'm less hungry throughout the day. Of course, for me lately that's been 2-3 slices of turkey bacon (we use the butterball kind and it's super thin) but it's enough to make me full until 10 or 11, at which time usually eat an egg and either a small piece of fish or a few shrimp with just a bit of veggies for my meal.

If not in "full" mode yet, many of the items I suggested work for soft foods. Clears, I did the ready to drink Cytosport whey isolate drinks and I adored them. Now I just eat "real" protein sources like some of what I've suggested above. I am also a recipe hound, always looking for something different to try so that I don't get too bored with what I'm currently eating.

Idk if any of that helps, but I surely hope so! I'm also on myfitnesspal and my journals are public if you want to add me, please do. Best of luck to you always.

YESSSS! Thank you - that's it... TVP! Grr I bought some after surgery and tried it once. I figure it's going to be getting cooler soon, I'll be busting it out again to try (although I still say get your Protein sources from real protein: fish, chicken, shrimp, etc).

TY GLSUN! Pardon my alzheimers.... :)

I made grilled shrimp for dinner on skewers for lunch today & it was sooo good. They are moist enough & full of Protein, especially if you like a squeeze of fresh lemon on them.

Where can I find recipes for high Protein foods? I want quick and easy because of my hectic lifestyle. ANy advice?

So so helpful. Thanks my friends. I'm in soft food stage. ( past Purées and past liquids) so no bacon or crunchies just yet but there is quite a bit I can eat. I have been eating out if a Dixie cup because that one bite pushes me to full. 1.5 oz is my max. So its hard because even 1.5 oz of Protein dense food 6 times a day isn't 65 gm of protein.

Wow you're supposed to eat 65 grams of Protein?

It's not as hard as you might think, you do have to pay attention, but I for example manage to get over 100grams most days.

Shain. Can you give us a " here's what I eat on a daily basis" idea?

Thank you for making this thread! I have always struggled with getting in Protein. I will definitely be coming back to this when I move to puree/regular foods =)