Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exciting News About Dr. Aveves

Hey Everyone,

I have very exciting news about Dr. Aceves. He has been asked by Johnson & Johnson—and it is the Latin America Division of Johnson & Johnson that we all know about to teach other Bariatric Surgeons from various locations his techniques and they will be watching him for 3 days to see how he does his VGS surgery. They will watch his VGS surgeries for these 3 days learning his techniques and skills. This is very exciting because Johnson & Johnson are the makers of the quality staples that are used when they do “VGS aka The Sleeve” surgery by many doctors. :rolleyes:

NOT all doctors use these quality staples. Some are getting the cheaper staples from other countries like China and that is how they can afford to do surgery for less. Some of these staples are low quality. Please make sure they are the approved Staples if you are having surgery with another doctor-—this is part of educating yourself. Dr. Aceves uses the very best staples along with keeping you for 4 days in his state of the art hospital to make sure that everything is going to be OK before you go home--which includes 3 leak tests. Please be careful when picking your doctor. I always say you honestly get what you pay for. B)

This is very exciting news because of all the Doctors that they could have chosen to demonstrate how to do the VGS aka “The Sleeve” he was the one that they asked to teach these Doctors from various locations who are attending this demonstration by Dr. Aceves. This just affirms what I have been saying for the last 4 years about the quality Doctor that Dr. Aceves is and his team of Doctors who assist and help him. :D

For most of us when we think of Johnson & Johnson, we just think of Band-Aids. They make so many more products other than Band-Aids and house hold products. Johnson & Johnson have a Pharmaceutical Division and they are located in different areas of the world. The Latin America Division of Johnson & Johnson picked Dr. Aceves to demonstrate his skills to the Doctors from various locations. Dr. Aceves's was selected because of his reputation and how highly skilled he is along with all his experience Dr. Aceves has. :D

I am so very proud to be able to say that Dr. Aceves was the surgeon who did my "VGS aka Sleeve" weight loss surgery. I feel I had the most highly qualified Doctor there is. :wub:

If you are trying to make up your mind as to where to have your WLS, this bit of information might help. I wish you great success in your life changing journey. This surgery will change your entire life, for the better and it is something that will last a lifetime. There are other good Doctors out there. Please educate yourself and be careful. :unsure:

Hugs,

Suzanne

Ive waited to post a comment as I see 80 people have viewed and not said a word. There are quite a few things I could say, but just to give information just as you state yours is doing for those out there looking for a doctor and doing research just because your surgeon is less expensive DOES NOT mean he/she does not use "quality" supplies/products or that he/she is not an experienced surgeon.

The surgeon I have chosen is quite a bit less expensive than Dr. Aceves and I happened to ask the question about the staples and guess what he uses....drum roll please yep "Johnson & Johnson". My surgeon keeps us for 2 days in the hospital, can't say I would call it "state of the art" but there is an ICU and cardiology unit and it is a relatively new hospital. Then 2 nights in a nearby hotel in which you are still being cared for and if any problems arise, taken care of immediately. Personally....I much rather stay in a comfy hotel where I can relax and sleep, walk, ect as I wish instead of a hospital with around the clock nurses and the hustle and bustle going on.

I am truly happy for you that your surgery went great, you have had so much success and you take great pride in the work your surgeon does. You chose a top dollar surgeon and you paid for his reputation and "name" and the state of the art hospital that for the most part was not even utilized by you..... But, for some of us cost IS a factor. Saying this, I certainly would not chance my health/life somewhere that I KNEW was shady just because it was "cheaper". But, most of us on this board have done extensive research, listening, watching, asking, for some like myself praying and we feel very comfortable with the choice we have made for whatever reason we made it.

I will say as I have on other posts of this nature, it would be very discouraging to a newbie that has just decided to have the sleeve and is looking at Self-pay/Mexico as an option to be convinced that in order to get good, quality care you would have to pay somewhere around 3,000-4,000 more than some of the other just as qualified, capible surgeons. This honestly may turn some people around into thinking it will never happen for them.....because again, sometimes price IS A FACTOR!

I have researched for going on about 9.5 months now so I do not take this decision lightly nor am I trying to judge anyones decision on surgeons.....I do believe to each their own. But, in all of my research there is only ONE difference I see in my choice of surgeons and yours and that is years of experience. Yes, to some this is huge....it is a factor to me but I feel like the years of experience my surgeon has is enough for me....may not be for others, but it is worth waiting on my health and literally being miserable and depressed not living any kind of a life to speak of in order to save up the extra $4,000 it would cost to choose your surgeon.....No, not to me,

From my research and hearing personal experience (no, I have not been there yet but will be going with full confidence next Fri) my surgeon uses top brand staples and does the same leak tests and puts for the the same care, concern and education for his patients as any other surgeon. Oh yes and although I do realize its not quite the same...my surgeon teaches bariatric surgery at a local college also.....but I'm sure not to the extent of Dr. Aceves.

Again, before all of the backlash comes my way....I am genuinely happy for those of you who were able to choose Dr. Aceves as your surgeon....yes, no doubt about it you were in great hands. But, those of us chosing a different surgeon are in great hands as well......

Just think about this when wanting to post an "informational" post to help those just looking and researching.....building up one surgeon based SOLEY on his cost. I say this because of your comment "You always get what you pay for" so that IS what its about to a lot of people.

The last time I checked we are here for support, not competition people. The goal is to be sleeved, be succesul at losing and keeping off weight to be healthy and live a full, active life....who CARES how we got there or if my staples cost more or less than yours.....seriously?!?!?

Im done.....

Ive waited to post a comment as I see 80 people have viewed and not said a word. There are quite a few things I could say, but just to give information just as you state yours is doing for those out there looking for a doctor and doing research just because your surgeon is less expensive DOES NOT mean he/she does not use "quality" supplies/products or that he/she is not an experienced surgeon.

The surgeon I have chosen is quite a bit less expensive than Dr. Aceves and I happened to ask the question about the staples and guess what he uses....drum roll please yep "Johnson & Johnson". My surgeon keeps us for 2 days in the hospital, can't say I would call it "state of the art" but there is an ICU and cardiology unit and it is a relatively new hospital. Then 2 nights in a nearby hotel in which you are still being cared for and if any problems arise, taken care of immediately. Personally....I much rather stay in a comfy hotel where I can relax and sleep, walk, ect as I wish instead of a hospital with around the clock nurses and the hustle and bustle going on.

I am truly happy for you that your surgery went great, you have had so much success and you take great pride in the work your surgeon does. You chose a top dollar surgeon and you paid for his reputation and "name" and the state of the art hospital that for the most part was not even utilized by you..... But, for some of us cost IS a factor. Saying this, I certainly would not chance my health/life somewhere that I KNEW was shady just because it was "cheaper". But, most of us on this board have done extensive research, listening, watching, asking, for some like myself praying and we feel very comfortable with the choice we have made for whatever reason we made it.

I will say as I have on other posts of this nature, it would be very discouraging to a newbie that has just decided to have the sleeve and is looking at Self-pay/Mexico as an option to be convinced that in order to get good, quality care you would have to pay somewhere around 3,000-4,000 more than some of the other just as qualified, capible surgeons. This honestly may turn some people around into thinking it will never happen for them.....because again, sometimes price IS A FACTOR!

I have researched for going on about 9.5 months now so I do not take this decision lightly nor am I trying to judge anyones decision on surgeons.....I do believe to each their own. But, in all of my research there is only ONE difference I see in my choice of surgeons and yours and that is years of experience. Yes, to some this is huge....it is a factor to me but I feel like the years of experience my surgeon has is enough for me....may not be for others, but it is worth waiting on my health and literally being miserable and depressed not living any kind of a life to speak of in order to save up the extra $4,000 it would cost to choose your surgeon.....No, not to me,

From my research and hearing personal experience (no, I have not been there yet but will be going with full confidence next Fri) my surgeon uses top brand staples and does the same leak tests and puts for the the same care, concern and education for his patients as any other surgeon. Oh yes and although I do realize its not quite the same...my surgeon teaches bariatric surgery at a local college also.....but I'm sure not to the extent of Dr. Aceves.

Again, before all of the backlash comes my way....I am genuinely happy for those of you who were able to choose Dr. Aceves as your surgeon....yes, no doubt about it you were in great hands. But, those of us chosing a different surgeon are in great hands as well......

Just think about this when wanting to post an "informational" post to help those just looking and researching.....building up one surgeon based SOLEY on his cost. I say this because of your comment "You always get what you pay for" so that IS what its about to a lot of people.

The last time I checked we are here for support, not competition people. The goal is to be sleeved, be succesul at losing and keeping off weight to be healthy and live a full, active life....who CARES how we got there or if my staples cost more or less than yours.....seriously?!?!?

Im done.....

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments and I always appreciate other peoples point of view. I did a little revisions on my statement, because the facts that I had were incorrect--and I do want to present the correct facts. You will find that most of the time I always say there are other good doctors out there too besides Dr. Aceves. I want people to educate themself--just like you did. And you asked all the right questions--congratulations to you for doing that. I also like you took about 6 months to do my research and talked to 100's of people about who they went to and listened and made my choice for a doctor. I do understand the cost issue for many people and all I want for them, is to be safe.

There are good and bad options when it comes to having weight loss surgery. There is one thing that you do not know or have not checked up on is that I give SUPPORT all the time to people who have already had surgery, and I could care less who their doctor is or was. I am ALWAYS happy to answer any questions they have. So YES we are here to support each other.

I was excited about the information that I learned about Dr. Aceves and I wanted to share it. He recently was on the cover of Newsweek Magazine too in May. I see nothing wrong with anything I have said about him. I'm sure if someone asked you about who your doctor was, you would share ALL the information you knew about him and would recommend him highly also. Isn't that great that we are able to say how we feel!

Take care and I wish you nothing but great success in your WLS journey.

Suzanne

This is good info for people making their decision to get sleeved in Mexico.

Very nice! Do you know when this will be?

Ive waited to post a comment as I see 80 people have viewed and not said a word. There are quite a few things I could say' date=' but just to give information just as you state yours is doing for those out there looking for a doctor and doing research just because your surgeon is less expensive DOES NOT mean he/she does not use "quality" supplies/products or that he/she is not an experienced surgeon. [/sub']

I have researched for going on about 9.5 months now so I do not take this decision lightly nor am I trying to judge anyones decision on surgeons.....I do believe to each their own. But, in all of my research there is only ONE difference I see in my choice of surgeons and yours and that is years of experience. Yes, to some this is huge....it is a factor to me but I feel like the years of experience my surgeon has is enough for me....may not be for others, but it is worth waiting on my health and literally being miserable and depressed not living any kind of a life to speak of in order to save up the extra 4,000 it would cost to choose your surgeon.....No, not to me,

Im done.....

I don't think her post came from a competitive standpoint.

In my opinion we have all made a great decision to have this surgery, period. There are so many great doctors out there and most of us are fortunate enough to have these great experiences. It seems to me like she was really excited and proud of her doctor! I know I am. Surgeons are people too, and no one is better than the other... They all help improve our lives, save our lives... They are all heroes!

This is good info for people making their decision to get sleeved in Mexico.

Hi,

Thank you so much. That was my intention, I always want people to have choice, but I want them to be safe and ask ALL kinds of questions. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it so much. I try to make a differece,

Hugs,

Suzanne

In my opinion we have all made a great decision to have this surgery, period. There are so many great doctors out there and most of us are fortunate enough to have these great experiences. It seems to me like she was really excited and proud of her doctor! I know I am. Surgeons are people too, and no one is better than the other... They all help improve our lives, save our lives... They are all heroes!

Thank you so very much. You did get my point exactly! I appreciate that you did see and hear my excitement. I do not have the power that some people my think I have. In the end, every one of us who has had WLS had to educate ourselves and make the best choice that worked best for us. Isn't it great that we have choices. I know myself better than anyone else, so I know what I require and what worked for me.

I just want people to be safe. I have and know ofa few disasters that have happened by poor doctors.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Very nice! Do you know when this will be?

Hi,

I don't know, exactly, but in the next few weeks I assume. They will be coming to Mexacali to veiw his surgeries for 3 days.

Thanks for asking,

Suzanne

I agree, we all love our surgeons and I don't believe that her intent was negative in any way. Information is power and more information about physician's performing this surgery in the US and Mexico is good info. Cost is also a factor and so is the experience of the surgeon. She simply found out some interesting updated information on her surgeon and wanted to share it, bottom line.

Nothing competitive about OP's post. I had mine in the states because I have insurance but I AM the type that will pay more if I feel like the quality is better and sometimes it's info like this that swings the pendulum in one direction or the other. The two things that many people look at when doc shopping are their resume and their recommendations. This is just another addition to Dr. Aceves' resume in my eyes and another recommendation for those who are considering surgery in Mexico or Dr. Aceves.

He is doing this training during the 1st week of Sept I believe. I am scheduled with him right before he goes to the conference.

Suzanne, how did you hear about this? Also, do you have a link to the magazine article? How did you come across that info?

Thanks!

Frza, when are you scheduled with Dr Aceves? I just scheduled my surgery today for August 31.

Frza' date=' when are you scheduled with Dr Aceves? I just scheduled my surgery today for August 31.[/quote']

Me too!!!! I'll message you....