Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For VG 10 cc Bandsters ONLY

10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?

• 9 + cc
    • 8 + cc
    • 6 + cc
    • 4 + cc

Hi! I haven't posted on this thread before, but I got the VG 10 band on 12-11-06 and thought I'd share my "fill history" wtih this band. From what I understand, my surgeon is pretty aggressive with his fills. Of course, he has been doing WLS for the past 15 years and is the surgeon who the other surgeons train with to get their specialty. (My mom had the RNY by him 3 years ago and has done great with it -- she's lost 168 pounds and has kept it all off.)

I got 2 cc in my band during the surgery, which after 2 weeks when the swelling was gone, I had NO restriction -- I was dying on my 4 weeks of liquids only after my surgery! I asked for a fill at my 2 week post op and they told me no, I couldn't get another fill till I was 6 weeks out.

So, at the end of January I got my first in-office fill. Normally he gives 5 cc at that visit but because I was so hungry he gave me 6 cc, bringing me up to 8 cc in my band. He had to do an unfill because as I was drinking the Water after each swallow I would burp! He said that happens when there's too much in there. So he took out 1 cc, leaving me with 7 cc in my 10 cc band. Restriction was good for a few weeks, then, I was getting sooo hungry again.

I went back for another fill and this time before she (a different surgeon) filled me she pulled out what was in the band -- there should have been 7 cc, and she was only able to pull out 5 cc -- so she gave me 2 cc more, putting me back up to 7 cc.

Two weeks later I was back again and they gave me 0.5 cc, which made a huge difference and up until about three weeks ago was great. Now, I have 7.5 cc in my band and my appetite and portion size have increased, which means I need another fill. I still have restriction, just not as much as I need. I go back next week for another and we'll see what I get then.

They did tell me that in the first year it is common to need anywhere from 2-6 fills. This will be my 4th in-office fill, hopefully I've not "lost" any of the 7.5 cc that should be in there. They're supposed to be checking that too since I "lost" 2 cc a few months ago.

I had my first pre-op yesterdaya and lost 9lbs since surgery (16 days) I was disappointed - buy doc says need to bump Protein to 100 gr and due to already lost alot -- it will be slow from here - he is only looking for 2lbs a week.

Gina

Gina,

Your Doc is right, 2 lbs a week is a good pace. Remember, you just had surgery a few weeks ago and have no fill which means no restriction. I lost weight with pre surgery diet and lost weight post surgery while on liquids. Once I moved back to solids before a fill I actually gained a bit. Right now if your losing weight be happy. It takes time to find your sweet spot (thats what my doc calls getting the restriction just right), but when you do, and you make good choices on what you eat, the weight will come off just fine.

Good luck and keep up your great work

Bret

Gina,

Your Doc is right, 2 lbs a week is a good pace. Remember, you just had surgery a few weeks ago and have no fill which means no restriction. I lost weight with pre surgery diet and lost weight post surgery while on liquids. Once I moved back to solids before a fill I actually gained a bit. Right now if your losing weight be happy. It takes time to find your sweet spot (thats what my doc calls getting the restriction just right), but when you do, and you make good choices on what you eat, the weight will come off just fine.

Good luck and keep up your great work

Bret

Well -- I have moved to the mushies plus... and as you stated - I have gained a few pounds -- not fun! This is depressing and seems not possible considering the extremely few calories I am eating.

Thanks for your support!

Gina

I also have the VG band I have not lost any weight since the first month, I was banned in January. I have had 1 fill of 6cc's and still have no restriction. I am drinking while eating which I know is a big no no so as of today I am putting down the glass.

I also have the VG band I have not lost any weight since the first month, I was banned in January. I have had 1 fill of 6cc's and still have no restriction. I am drinking while eating which I know is a big no no so as of today I am putting down the glass.

I just had my 5th fill on Monday and I now have 8 cc in my band so do not get discouraged. It takes awhile. There was some restriction on the last fill for about 2 weeks and then nothing.

I've been told that drinking while you eat will wash down the food faster. This might be true but have you ever taken a drink while you eat and have the food get clogged in the band? Now that's not good either. I try to avoid this from happening more than I try to avoid flushing the food through. THE PAIN!!!

I was banded on 3/29 and really just started getting hungry again these past two weeks. I just had my first fill today -- 3 cc. I am worried that this won't give much restriction now that I see these other posts! I've lost 14 lbs so far.

I was banded on 3/29 and really just started getting hungry again these past two weeks. I just had my first fill today -- 3 cc. I am worried that this won't give much restriction now that I see these other posts! I've lost 14 lbs so far.

It probably won't give you much restriction but you have to give your stomach a chance to heal with each fill. You never want to get overfilled.

Has anyone had a fill and had less restriction than before the fill? I thought I was really close to the sweet spot and just needed a little more. I was at 8.3cc and they said they took me to 9.3cc last Friday. I feel less restriction now????

This might be true but have you ever taken a drink while you eat and have the food get clogged in the band? Now that's not good either. I try to avoid this from happening more than I try to avoid flushing the food through. THE PAIN!!!

OMG yes! I tried that thinking it might help to push the stuck food through, yeah no.

me too becca....wow, did that hurt~won't go there again.

I had my band on Jan 29th with no fill in it then. I had a fill of 5 cc on Mar 15th and have lost 54 pounds so far. I am going back for fill tomorrow. I can now eat alot more, not nearly as much as before surgery but more than I want to eat. MOVE MOVE MOVE...all I can say. I was working at a job where I moved the entire 6 hours a day and I really droppped then, but now I am at home working and it's not nearly as fast! Gotta get to walking after my fill (why start today when you can start tomorrow...haha)

I had just broke the 70 pound mark this week........I too lost little to nothing for the first several months, in fact, I don't think I lost 10 pounds in the first year. I was getting discouraged but my doctors and staff kept telling me not to worry and that they would get to the place I need to be to start losing.....sure enough, it happened and I have been losing about 1-2 lbs per week since it began. Great feeling breaking the milestones of every 10 lbs range if you know what I mean. I have about another 40 pounds till I am where I want to be, if it takes another year, so be it.....at least I can shop anywhere for clothes now!!!!

Ciao

I had just broke the 70 pound mark this week........I too lost little to nothing for the first several months, in fact, I don't think I lost 10 pounds in the first year. I was getting discouraged but my doctors and staff kept telling me not to worry and that they would get to the place I need to be to start losing.....sure enough, it happened and I have been losing about 1-2 lbs per week since it began. Great feeling breaking the milestones of every 10 lbs range if you know what I mean. I have about another 40 pounds till I am where I want to be, if it takes another year, so be it.....at least I can shop anywhere for clothes now!!!!

Ciao

Thanks for sharing that, Steve.... it gives me hope! I just got my 3rd fill and am now at 6cc, but still no restriction! I begged my doctor for a larger fill, but she wouldn't do it because she worried that I would get home (I live quite a distance from her office) and then have trouble getting Water down. But I am finding I have no trouble getting ANYTHING down!! :phanvan So it is back to willpower only, and that is really tough. I need to remember that this is a slow process and that I WILL get to the place where this works as it should. Thanks for reminding me! And congrats on your terrific weight loss. You are doing great! :clap2:

Karen

Another Vanguard bandster here. :)

My surgeon told me that he mostly always does Vanguard now, as someone else mentioned.

I have a 3 CC fill 6 weeks after surgery. I've lost about 15 lbs so far (though I've not weighed for about 2 weeks).

Another Vanguard bandster here. :what:

My surgeon told me that he mostly always does Vanguard now, as someone else mentioned.

I have a 3 CC fill 6 weeks after surgery. I've lost about 15 lbs so far (though I've not weighed for about 2 weeks).

You are doing great....15 pounds so soon after surgery, and I bet you have dropped another couple since you last weighed! I also heard that more doctors are using the VG, but I haven't met anyone else outside of LBT. Nice to have this group so that I don't feel so unique...:)

Keep up the good work!

Karen

Hello all,

I was banded on 22 Mar 07 with the VG. I went for my first fill on 09 May, there were three other first timers there also, all with the VG. I got a fill of 1.6 every body else got 3.0. I FELT CHEATED . The Dr.said he was having problems getting the fill to go in,don't know if that is good or bad..Last week was the first week for me with no weight loss,I hope I don't have another this week or I'm going to see about getting another fill sooner than the 7 weeks he wanted to wait. (RAISES HAND,HANGS HEAD IN SHAME---- I do have to admit it has been two weeks since i have been to the gym and I have been eating more than i should . LOWERS HAND ,KEEPS HEAD DOWN IN SHAME !)

307/265/190ish

Dr. Darrin Minkin

Des Peres hospital

St. Louis Mo.