Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For VG 10 cc Bandsters ONLY

10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?

• 9 + cc
    • 8 + cc
    • 6 + cc
    • 4 + cc

Give it 2 weeks to see how this fill does with you at 10 cc's. You might need another fill and the band can be filled with quite a bit more than 10 cc's so you're not at full capacity.

I’m 7 weeks out from surgery, and just had my 1st fill on April 5th. :clap2: Under fluoro while I sipped barium, my doc added 4cc. I’m fine with fluids & can only eat small amounts at a time, but today is my 1st day back on solids, so that may not be the case in a day or two. My 2nd fill is in 6-weeks on May 17th.

I am now at 8cc's and I can feel restriction. I just hope I can stay at this restriction to get these last 40lbs off.

I am at 8cc and feel slight restriction, I still think I keep eating too much (more than 2 cups of solid food...). I still have a bit more than 40lbs to loose and this has been a hard, slow battle... Very frustrating when I see so many people loose weight so quickly :tired (I'm happy for them but terribly sorry I'm not one of them...)

niki

Hi Niki, I started at a low BMI when I had surgery. Im 5'2 my weight was 244. Im at 203 now, and im a slow looser. It seem that people at a higher weight and higher BMI loose weight really fast. we will get there. Some days I eat more than other days but at 8cc i do feel more restricted. Im happy with the results and I feel that I have made the best decision in getting my health back on track.

Hi DAA,

I guess we're very similar because I've started out as well at a low BMI of 35. After lots of reading and research I concluded that low BMIs do tend to loose at a slower pace and that's for sure what happens with me, I'm such a slow loser. I know I make correct food choices (most of the time) and I go to the gym 4 times a week, so it seems this will be a long journey for us both, but no reason to despair. We'll get there, eventually... :lol:

best of luck,

niki

I’m 7 weeks out from surgery, and just had my 1st fill on April 5th. :clap2: Under fluoro while I sipped barium, my doc added 4cc. I’m fine with fluids & can only eat small amounts at a time, but today is my 1st day back on solids, so that may not be the case in a day or two. My 2nd fill is in 6-weeks on May 17th.

You are doing wonderful! Thanks for referring me to this thread. I had no idea Dr Terracina used the VG brand. Learn something new each and every day.

Can't wait to meet soon at Support Group.

You are doing wonderful! Thanks for referring me to this thread. I had no idea Dr Terracina used the VG brand. Learn something new each and every day.

Can't wait to meet soon at Support Group.

I heard at Support Group that Dr. T is more aggressive than Dr. C with fill volume, too. But 4cc at the 1st fill doesn't seem too off at all from the others on this thread. (I detailed my 1st fill in my 4/5/07 mySpace blog, if you are the kind of person who wants to know what's coming next.)

I don't notice a bit of difference in restriction from before my fill (10 days ago) to now. I guess that means I'm in need of more juice. However, I read something about "fills slowly over 9 months" being more effective than lots of fills right off the bat, so I’m willing to be patient. I lost 3.5 lbs in the week after my 1st fill, which is good since the scale stood still for the week prior to it. :) I hope I'm continuing to loose now, too, because I really don't feel any more restricted than I was before the fill!! I'm mindful of the rules (protein 1st, nothing white, no more than 1/2 cup of food per meal, and exercise), but it doesn't seem like doing my part is "enough" to get the job done! I mean, we're talking 200 pounds after all!! My 2nd fill will be May 17th, 6-weeks from the first one.

I hope you're doing well post-op! You've made it a full week! :clap2: Hang in there (on that sea of Protein shakes) for one more & you'll be advanced to mushies! I tell you, nothing ever tasted so good as that 1st bite of egg salad (even without the sandwich bread!)... You're 1/2 way there! :gluck:

Hope to see you on Thursday! (I'll be the short, fat one with glasses in the striped, pink shirt –- my weigh-in clothes!)

Zannie-

I am doing well - ending my first week. I am so proud of you -- keep up the great work!

I haven't gone back to Protein shakes just yet -- I have been doing clear Protein diet (2 - IDS New whey Protein 42g vials with 10oz water) and crystal light green tea. The Protein Shakes I was doing as preop diet - made me so full -- 16oz had 35 grams of protein -- there is no way I could get 80g a day in.

I will be sure to find you and introduce myself!

Gina

PS: You can check out the IDS New Whey Protein's at:

http://www.nextag.com/ids-new-whey-liquid-protein/search-html

I am experiencing the exact same situation. I was banded 1/9/07 lost initially about thirty pounds, but basically as soon as I started back on solid foods I started regaining. I am now at 8cc's and still gaining. Help!

zevesther:

Are you keeping a food journal to take to a dietician and talk about this?

I definetly would suggest this -- I can understand how frustrated you are feeling -- and that can make the whole situation even worse.

Please consider talking to a professional about this asap.

Good luck & keep in touch!

Gina

OK, I've not been here in a while so a quick recap. I had a VG Band installed in mid December 2006 at 390 lbs. First fill was 3.5 cc's at the end of January 2007. Some restriction but not a lot. I filled up quickly when I ate but the full feeling didnt last long. Went to 5 cc's with my second fill in early March 2007. I couldn't pass anything at 5 cc's, pretty much complete blockage. Went back 2 days later and went down to 4.5 cc's. Good restriction at first but lessened over a few weeks. Went in for 3rd fill yesterday. Doc said he gets less out than he put in the last two fills, he had put in 4.5 but only retrieved 4.2. He said this is common with vg band. He called it sweating due to the larger "baloon" surface area. He filled this time with a thicker Fluid which he said typically eliminates the sweating issue. He filled to 4.7 cc's. Its only been a day but it feels good. The restriction feels about right.

Anyway, Thats where I am, 48 lbs since surgery. Pace has been good since the March fill. Looking forward to more progress and smaller sizes in clothes.

BTW, Had to punch a new hole in my belt this morning. Its a good feeling.

Bret - thanks for the post -- you provided alot of good information here.

I don't get my first fill until 5/31 -- but the more info I find -- the better I will be prepared.

I am very impressed with your results -- keep up the good work.

I had my first pre-op yesterdaya and lost 9lbs since surgery (16 days) I was disappointed - buy doc says need to bump Protein to 100 gr and due to already lost alot -- it will be slow from here - he is only looking for 2lbs a week.

Have a great day!

Gina

Guess I am very lucky! ALL my fills were included in the initial cost for the first year... (I was self pay) Now I have the option after the first year to have unlimited visits/fills for a year for only $200. total or $75. per fill/visit. I figured it was a HUGE bargain either way seeing the cost that some Dr.s are charging. Since I am still a work in progress I want the constant follow up and need the incentive to keep eating right. I go in monthly for a visit and meeting with the nutritionalist.

My first fill was at 4ccs and I had restriction. Eventually that restriction wore down as I lost more weight. My second fill took me up to 4.5ccs and again I was restricted... same thing after a few months. next fill added .50 and I was too tight. My fills kick in most after a day or so and had to have .25 taken out. Things went well...Then another again .25 going good. Last time I went up another .25 to the 5.25cc level and was VERY TIGHT... almost too tight. that was February and now I am sitting good.

Since March 2006 I am down a total of 140 pounds... Love my band and my surgeon. Good luck in finding and keeping that sweet spot.