Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

??? about going home after surgery???

Hi guys... just wondering if anyone here went home the same day of their surgery and if they would do the same if they had it to do all over again??? When I had my pre-op testing, I told the nurse I was planning on going home the same day and she encouraged me to reconsider??? I live an hour and forty-five minutes from the hospital and she thought it would be a difficult trip. Anyhoo... any input would be appreciated!:D

I am glad that I stayed at least one night in the hospital. I didn't get much rest because it is noisy in hospitals with the other patients having a hard time and the nurses coming into your room every few hours... but I was hooked to IV's for pain meds and Fluid for my stay and I am glad I had the push pump for pain... I needed it.

I know that others have gone home the same day, so I know that it is doable. I thought I would bounce back very quickly, but when I work up in the recovery room and felt the initial pain without meds... I knew I wasn't going to bounce back as quickly as I thought.

The bed I had in the hospital was specifically designed for bariatric patients and basically turned into a chair with the push of a button. This was very helpful for getting in and out of bed for restroom trips and walks... plus I had those special leg wraps that massage your legs constantly to avoid blood clots.

Just my experience, but I hope it is helpful.

Good Luck!

If Your Insurance is covering the cost, I would stay the night. Anesthesia effects everyone differently, you may just sleep or be in allot of pain (the worst part for me was the gas pressure in my chest). It was nice to be cared for and not think about what's going on at home. And when I got home it wasn't quiet.

I read Nicci is your Angel, will she be at the Hospital with you?

My dr. requires you stay overnight for a routine lapband. They kept me on i.v. antibiotics until the next day. I ended up having extras done (gallbladder, tumor) so I stayed 2 1/2 days. I was glad I stayed. It was nice to get pain meds. through the i.v. and not have to wait for a pill to kick in (after you get the RX filled.) I didn't feel like going home, having problems, having to come back through the e.r. (sitting 2 or 3 hrs.), and paying out more $$ to get back into a hospital room.

Thanks everyone! I think my concern is that I am such a creature of habit... have to have six pillows... a fan ( not the clapping type) :( and just the right temperature in the room to get what little sleep I do get. I am a TERRIBLE sleeper and worried that I will end up completely exhausted if I stay. Maybe I'll have enough pain meds on board that I will doze peacefully...hmmmm... WHat a big baby I am...LOL!!!

Yep Vera... Miss Nicci is my Angel! We have only met a couple of times but I am pretty sure we are cosmic twins! I am constantly amazed at how much we have in common... even our husbands are eerily similar.:( It's been a long time since I have had a close girlfriend... forgot how great it is to have someone to giggle and be a silly gooberhead with! I don't think she will be at the hospital although she would be welcome to come by and see me in all of my drugged out glory. (o: She'll get a direct line to my hubby though and I'll have him call her and update on the status of all of my pain and suffering.:D

I won't have anyone at home so it would be peacful and quiet... no beeping IV's or call lights... no vital signs every shift... no dragging a pole with me every time I need to tinkle... Hmmmm... things to think about...

I have to be honest and I wish I would have gone home. I was interupted every couple of hours for vitals and given pain meds that messed with my head. And on top of it, because of the meds they put me on O2, via nose cannula, because when I had the chance to sleep, because of the pain meds my oxygen sats would go down. Believe me, the nurses only have your best interest at heart but, if you are a normally healthy person, same day surgery is the way to go. Your support should be in place before surgery....but if the support isn't there, maybe you should think about what the doc is saying.

"Maybe I'll have enough pain meds on board that I will doze peacefully...hmmmm..." NOT!!! They will wake you even if you are peacefully sleeping.

"I won't have anyone at home so it would be peacful and quiet... no beeping IV's or call lights... no vital signs every shift... no dragging a pole with me every time I need to tinkle... Hmmmm... things to think about..." I have to reconsider at this point.....If you don't have anyone with you, who is going to be there should something go awry??? Maybe you should stay and have someone available should you have a problem. Just the medicine in me.....I would want someone around just to take care of me....

The decision of course is ultimately yours. We all just give our advice for what it is worth and you have make your own choices. But, of course mine is right - ha ha!!!, honestly I hope all goes well for you.

Take Care,

Kathy

I went home the same day and was glad I did. The surgery was so quick I was home by 1:00, which gave me four hours of peaceful rest before my daughters came home. But I agree, it's not necessarily the thing to do if you live by yourself and no one will be staying with you.

But for my money, the hospital is no place to recover. I was thrilled to go home as soon as possible.

Thanks ladies!

My hubby will be home with me for 4 days after my surgery... but my daughter will be with her Dad so I won't have to care for her needs as well during my recovery. She will actually be gone on vacation with her Dad during the worst part of my recovery so that will be perfect timing! I guess I should say... I HOPE I will be recovered without any port problems as are being discussed!

I'll play it by ear but think I will try to go home... my surgery is at 9AM so hopefully I'll be ready and willing to hit the road that evening. (o:

Darcy

Please have a back up plan (concerning need to stay overnight or not.). My surgery was scheduled for 5:30 am. We got there @ 5 a.m. I was actually put on the operating table at 1 p.m. Then there was the hold up in getting a room. That just goes to show "well laid plans" are subject to change. And all you can do is make the best of it. Do be sure someone will be with you when you come out of surgery. You don't want to fall and pull any lines loose. You're going to do just great!