Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do Sleevers Absorb Alcohol Faster?

...anyone know anyone that turned into an alcoholic after the sleeve??

A good friend of mine had a bypass in 2000. She lost a lot of weight had a beautiful baby and became an alcoholic. She would drink a couple of bottles of wine a night and just couldn't figure out why her weight was creeping back on. She is now divorced and back at her original weight but she did give up drinking altogether this year. I don't think she ever looked at the surgery as a tool...she seems to think it is supposed to be a magic solution that should require no effort.

A friend of a friend had bypass surgery she lost weight fast started looking and feeling good .. She wanted to party every weekend and drink everyday well she's was in her middle 30s she found out in maybe feb. that her liver was damage went to the doctor and they told her it was nothing they could do for her sent her home on hospice well she died three days after that ..so it was shocking I've seen this friend of friend and would have never see that coming are action have consequences and it sad to hear this

Alcohol addiction and metabolism that usually follows a weight loss surgery such as gastric sleeve surgery, is a topic widely discussed over surgery symposium like the Minimally Invasive Surgery Symposium 2012.

There seems to be a close connection between gastric sleeve surgery and alcohol since many people having undergone a bariatric surgery have showed a strong tendency towards alcohol intake in order to bring back the feeling of satisfaction they once had when consuming food.

However, how true is that gastric surgery can result in alcohol abuse?

In order to come up with solid evidence and answers a study was held at patients, who run alcohol metabolism tests before and after 3-6 months after their gastric sleeve surgery and it became clear that their alcohol level increased by 0.07 with the same amount of alcohol intake.

As for alcohol metabolism, it seemed that needed about 50 minutes to reach zero patients before their surgery, and much longer after they had their bariatric operation.

Furthermore, people experienced different intoxication symptoms in time, after their operation, which were not the same among patients. As a result they had managed to identify them and take the necessary measures to avoid the negative effects of alcohol.

When dealing with the role of gastric surgery and alcohol in patients issue like alcohol addiction also come up. Relevant research indicated that patients’ drinking habits showed an important differentiation.

It seems that they would consume fewer amounts of alcohol at one time and throughout the week.

Moreover, a patient’s weight loss wasn’t affected by the individual’s drinking habits prior to the operation and the final result showed no significant difference in alcohol abuse.

As a matter of fact, the alcohol abuse levels have dropped from 21% to 17% after the patients’ operation.

Bottom line, although some patients might run increased risk of developing a drinking problem for the time period that follows their surgery (about 2 years), there is no substantial evidence that there is any connection between gastric surgery and alcohol that

Read more: http://www.bariatricguide.org/is-there-a-connection-between-gastric-sleeve-surgery-and-alcohol/#ixzz2a3jB6rJl

So... this suggests that blood levels go up faster, stay up longer...

I'll wait the 6 months the surgeon suggests!

So... this suggests that blood levels go up faster' date=' stay up longer...

I'll wait the 6 months the surgeon suggests![/quote']

I kno about stay longer cause I could have a drink then a hour later don't feel a thing and I hear this in most cases which then allows the person to drink more then normal