Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was my first appointment at the Weight Loss Center. I was completely prepared to discuss everything involved with LapBand surgery, which I did. However, the Dr. suggested that I have a Sleeve Gastrectomy instead. I am seriously considering it, because one of my main goals is that I will be allowed to get pregnant after loosing the weight. He said that a sleeve will still allow the baby to get the nutrition that it needs during pregnancy. Plus, I won't have to go in for fills and adjustments, and I will lose the weight a lot faster. Therefore, I will actually be able to try getting pregnant sooner than if I have the LapBand. The post-surgery diet is exactly the same with either procedure.

Any thoughts on Sleeve vs. LapBand?

I debated between the two as well, and it's really a personal choice. However, there just seemed like so many more benefits with the sleeve. I've already lost 19 pounds, and I just don't see that happening necessarily with lap band. Not to mention have to get fills scared the crap out of me. lol this is so much less maintenence :) But you go girl either way!!

I started my weight loss journey with the LapBand in mind. My surgeon honestly told me that with a BMI as high as mine that I would not be satisfied with the results I would have gotten with the Band. He suggested the Sleeve, gave me some information, and sent me home to research and decide for myself. To me the sleeve is the best option (for me at least) b/c the weight loss will be almost as quick as the bypass without the side effects. I am 15 weeks out and 85 lbs down and I feel great!!! Keep doing your research, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

My Dr also recommend the Sleeve to me, but I was adamant that the band was what I wanted. Well after 13 months of complications, I had to have the band out, and had revision to the Sleeve. Wow, i really feel like I wasted those 13 months, I wish I would have listened to him the first place.

I wanted a lap-band first because it is less invasive and reversible if something goes wrong. My doctor recommended the sleeve though. He says the band is too high maintenance. Apparently they don't last forever like the sleeve and a lot of people have complications.

In the end what did it for me is that people on the sleeve lose a lot more weight than the band. If I was going to have a major surgery, endure pain, burden my family, miss work and use all my insurance I better get my money's worth.

I, like most posts above initially wanted the band. At the seminar and half way through the process, I was convinced I wanted the band. It was "safe" and reversible if needed. After many, many months of research and talking to people, I changed my mind and felt the sleeve was the best choice for me.

In one of my classes (as required by insurance and my surgeon's office), there were some people there that spoke about their experiences. 3 were "banders." 1 had problems and was at a higher weight than when he started, one woman complained about frequent vomiting and one women overall liked her band, but did talk about "slimies" coming up (I suspect it was like foamy spit coming up?). The woman that was sleeved loved it and had no problems.

When I researched the band, I read things about slippages, vomiting, too much restriction, too little restricting, the port flipping, erosion and other things. I even saw several pictures of people who, once they did loose the weight, their port was so visible beneath the skin, it was like a big bulge. I definitely did not want that!

I like that the sleeve was a "set it and forget it" thing (I know you still have to work at it by eating well and everything - what I mean by that is that you dont have to go for fills and unfills to try to find your sweet spot)

Do some reasarch, talk to your doctor so that you make the best decision for you.

This is pretty much exactly what my Doctor told me.

I wanted a lap-band first because it is less invasive and reversible if something goes wrong. My doctor recommended the sleeve though. He says the band is too high maintenance. Apparently they don't last forever like the sleeve and a lot of people have complications.

In the end what did it for me is that people on the sleeve lose a lot more weight than the band. If I was going to have a major surgery, endure pain, burden my family, miss work and use all my insurance I better get my money's worth.

I have been finding the same research. Although, I never even THOUGHT of what the port would look like after loosing weight! That sounds horrible. Thank you for sharing that, I will include that in my research now too.

When I researched the band, I read things about slippages, vomiting, too much restriction, too little restricting, the port flipping, erosion and other things. I even saw several pictures of people who, once they did loose the weight, their port was so visible beneath the skin, it was like a big bulge. I definitely did not want that!

I have been finding the same research. Although, I never even THOUGHT of what the port would look like after loosing weight! That sounds horrible. Thank you for sharing that, I will include that in my research now too.

I never did either until I saw one post from a girl who called her bulge her "alien baby." Google "lap band port protrusion" and you can see a few picts. I dont think everyone has it, but it was enough to freak me out! Some of the bulges are huge!

I so very, very happy that my alien baby is gone! Even after a year, it always bothered me if I leaned against a counter, used my stomache mucles too much, or slept wrong. Not to mention it freaked my husband out in bed /-8

Be grateful that you all have found this site, and the lapbandtalk site before your surgery. I didn't. If I had I would have made a differentt decision. I should have listened to my Dr.

My first visit to the surgeon was to discuss the lapband. I know I didn't want gastric bypass, and I knew I needed help. With a BMI near 50, he recommended the sleeve. I thought it was EXACTLY what I was looking for, and I had never heard of it.

I walked in with a plan to discuss all of my fears about lapband so that he could reassure me: having a foreign body in me, being able to feel the port, lifetime maintenance, slippage, erosion, not being able to lose weight unless it was filled to a "sweet spot." He listened to me and told me about gastric sleeve. I took home information and researched. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it, so I went to Mexico. I was sleeved on 6/28 by Dr. Kelly, and I couldn't be happier.

Dr. Kelly told me that he doesn't do the lapband any more and that he regularly does lapband-to-sleeve revisions.

I'm 31, and I do not have children either. My SO is 42, and we plan to have kids in a few years. I feel completely safe doing so with the sleeve.

I HATED my band! Besides the vomiting, reflux, constant fills and unfills trying to hit the sweet spot and port issues, I was ALWAYS hungry. Never satisfied, just stuck. Very frustrating!

I LOVE my sleeve! A little food goes a long way and I am totally full and satisfied.

I knew I didn't want gastric bypass as well. The whole idea of it frightened me. I know 2 people with Lap Bands, neither one has had complications from it. However, 1 has lost a lot of weight 100+ pounds, and the other hasn't been very successful.

My hubby and I have a 10 year old son, and we have been trying for baby #2 for 8 years. We believe that part of the reason we have been so unsuccessful the second time is because of how much weight I have gained since having our son. We got pregnant on the first try with him!

Although, the MAIN reason I want to have weight loss surgery is for my health. I have been having problems with my CSF pressure. Which has been causing me to have headaches, non-stop, since March. The doctors think that part of the reason I am having headaches is because of recent weight gain. I have never been very successful at weight loss, and now with headaches holding me back, some days I can't even get out of bed. How am I supposed to get up and exercise like that!?!

I am getting all of my testing taken care of and so far everything is looking good for me to go ahead with the surgery. Just waiting on paperwork and a few more lab results now (I HOPE)!

My problem(s) with the band is

1. there are way too many people suffering from complications which result in them either having the band removed or converting from band to sleeve.

2. I didn't like the fact that there are certain foods that you can no longer eat.. i.e. soda, breads, Pasta, corn etc. I know several people who have the band and if they even try to eat a piece of bread they instantly vomit. At least with the sleeve you can eventually eat whatever you want in moderation. Of course certain foods are a no no but you can still choose to indulge and not end up in the ER!

3. The fills can be very expensive. It depends on your insurance carrier, but I heard the fills can range anywhere from $100- $300 per fill! That's insanity. And I'm not into needles so I can't be bothered with that!

4. And this is the most important for me. People have a hard time losing weight! WTH is the point of having WLS if your going to loose 10lbs in 3 months!!!? Hell, I can do that on my own!!! If I'm having surgery I want to see rapid results! Don't get me wrong I do know one person who has lost slightly over 100lbs in a year. But she is miserable!!!!! She LITERALLY (and I'm not exaggerating) only eats mushies... Mainly mashed potato's & chili and she constantly complains about food getting "stuck" then she has to force herself to vomit. Who wants to live like that!!!?

Yes, the band is reversible but to me it serves no purpose. I quickly changed my mind and said SLEEVE all the way!!!

Good luck with your decision.

Hi!

I got the lap band about 5 years ago an it has been the worst experience of my life.. Needless to say I regret it.

Foods: just about the only thing you can really count on USUALLY being able to get down are "mushie" foods. Yeah, I lost 60lbs in a year but I literally lived on mashed potatoes and Soup. Even then it wouldnt always go down. Five years later I still cannot ever eat meat, Pasta, bread, most uncooked veggies and fruits, eggs, rice.. And the list goes on. The kicker? I had my band adjusted about a year ago and had ALL the Fluid removed.

So, I went to the doctor today to set up a date to have it removed, and they kept talking to me about replacing it with a sleeve instead. As you can imagine I am extremely hesitant because of everything I went thru with the band.

Does anyone know if you vomit a lot with the sleeve? I still throw up a couple times a day with the band, and i cant bear the thought of having to keep doing that forever.. Also, my nutrition is terrible and the amount of health problems and deficiencies I now have are incredible.

I guess my point is that the band can work for some people, but my advice is to really talk to/read people's stories who have had bands for a couple of years before you make the choice to get one because a lot of times the initial weight loss makes you not realize the real side effects the band is having on you, or if yoU really want to deal with them long term...

Good luck everyone!

Tyler Kristin