Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Saying Hello.

Hey everyone!

Just joined the boards like 2 days ago and I have been enjoying myself so much reading everything. If anything it is making me even more giddy and impatient for my surgery on July 24th. I'm so excited to begin my new life already. Every single day I think about my upcoming surgery and the future. Time needs to move faster already!! I think the thing I am looking most forward to is buying a whole new wardrobe. I trully hate shopping and have always just bought anything that fits me rather than something fashionable.

Oh yes and I am a 31-year old mom to a 19-month. Only a few months ago I saw my highest weight to date at 283lbs. Scary stuff. I've been able to come down a bit to 266lbs but I'm hoping to lose another 10-15 before the surgery.

It has been a long road since I decided to have surgery and finally getting a set date. There were times I thought I wouldn't be able to do it when the doctor's ordered me to take more tests. Luckily everything turned out fine. I'm also very grateful to have this new job with an amazing health plan. My final bill will be a big $0. There is no other way my broke ass would have been able to afford even a few hundred dollars! Also for my wonderful husband for supporting my decision.

I'm most concerned about:

- This head hunger I've been reading about. I already think about food way too much. I eat when I'm not hungry.. I even munch on things when I'm full because food is so good. I hope I have the strength to make it through the pre-op liquid diet and the post-op liquid diet. I'll just keep telling myself that it's temporary and to take it day by day.

- Being able to control my food choices once I start solids again. It's really tough in my job with our catered lunches and weekly deliveries of Snacks. There is literally food and Snacks every 20 feet here. But most of all carbs... ahh I could eat Pasta and bread all day.

Thank you all for reading. I look forward to get to know all of you and be here for a long time. Feel free to keep in touch especially those having the surgery close to my date.

Oh and if anyone has suggestions for which Protein drinks they liked the best I'd love to know. Right now I'm thinking of just doing Atkins shakes for the 2-week pre-op and then unjury or bariatricadvantage mixes after as those were recommended by my doctor.

Welcome!! *wave*

LOVE the chocolate Premium shakes from Costco/Sam's Club. They don't taste artificial and are less than $1 each!

Welcome to the forums! Very excited for you!

One recommendation -- dont stock up on the Protein powder just yet. Most of us will have our tastes change a bit after the surgery. So for now, buy some samples and try them after surgery. Once you find your fav brand, you can buy those in large quantities.

I wish you a safe surgery, speedy recovery and great weight loss!!!! :)

Thank you great idea!

Welcome!

Head hunger is something you'll work on throughout your journey. It's a challenge but once you're able to clearly recognize it (something I think surgery does make easier) you will have the opportunity to stop indulging it - which is the first and most important step.

Yes, I'd buy a number of Protein samples and keep them around until post op. I'm two years from surgery in two weeks and I still try to drink a shake daily. My tastes have changed a few times since surgery and I've changed "favorite" Proteins two or three times. One constant: Syntrax nectar Sweets in chocolate truffle and vanilla bean torte. I mix them in with coffee or tea each morning. Yum - they're the only shakes I've never gotten sick of drinking and they mix into cold or warm liquids without clumping.

As for Pasta, HA! Everyone is different but I'm two years out and still can't eat more than a few bites of rice, tortilla or Pasta - they gum up and make me overfull and uncomfortable. Controlling your food choices gets easy if the hunger goes away post op. Once you realize you can eat real food again but only two or three bites at a time, food loses some of it's interest. It took me nearly a year to really enjoy food again. Not everyone goes through this, but for me, eating was a chore and it was hard to force myself to eat enough each day. I hated it, actually. I never really regretted surgery, but I did have a rough patch where I felt like food was still controlling my life because I had to eat around the clock to reach my nutritional goals. That passed once I got to the point where I could eat a decent amount of food in a sitting, though, and while I'm still sometimes frustrated (I'd like to eat the whole sandwich instead of just half once in a while!) I'm very happy for the most part.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find support and answers to your questions on these boards.

~Cheri

Welcome!

Head hunger is something you'll work on throughout your journey. It's a challenge but once you're able to clearly recognize it (something I think surgery does make easier) you will have the opportunity to stop indulging it - which is the first and most important step.

Yes, I'd buy a number of Protein samples and keep them around until post op. I'm two years from surgery in two weeks and I still try to drink a shake daily. My tastes have changed a few times since surgery and I've changed "favorite" Proteins two or three times. One constant: Syntrax nectar Sweets in chocolate truffle and vanilla bean torte. I mix them in with coffee or tea each morning. Yum - they're the only shakes I've never gotten sick of drinking and they mix into cold or warm liquids without clumping.

As for Pasta, HA! Everyone is different but I'm two years out and still can't eat more than a few bites of rice, tortilla or Pasta - they gum up and make me overfull and uncomfortable. Controlling your food choices gets easy if the hunger goes away post op. Once you realize you can eat real food again but only two or three bites at a time, food loses some of it's interest. It took me nearly a year to really enjoy food again. Not everyone goes through this, but for me, eating was a chore and it was hard to force myself to eat enough each day. I hated it, actually. I never really regretted surgery, but I did have a rough patch where I felt like food was still controlling my life because I had to eat around the clock to reach my nutritional goals. That passed once I got to the point where I could eat a decent amount of food in a sitting, though, and while I'm still sometimes frustrated (I'd like to eat the whole sandwich instead of just half once in a while!) I'm very happy for the most part.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find support and answers to your questions on these boards.

~Cheri

Thank you Cheri! That was incredibly helpful information. I'm very excited for food to become 'uninteresting' and become a back seat for me. This board has really helped with learning to be patient however and it will all take time.

I wrote down Syntrax and will have to try it. Do you drink a shake daily as a Meal Replacement or in addition to your three meals? Just curious if it's an easier solution thing or just because you need the extra Protein in your diet.

I wrote down Syntrax and will have to try it. Do you drink a shake daily as a Meal Replacement or in addition to your three meals? Just curious if it's an easier solution thing or just because you need the extra Protein in your diet.

For the first year or so, when I still had a VERY limited capacity the shakes were definitely a meal replacement. Nowadays it depends on what I've got going on. If I need it to be a meal replacement, I make it high calorie - adding in two scoops of Protein, some cream or soymilk - anything to actually make it substantial enough to serve as a replacement. Remember, I'm not trying to shave calories anymore and I want to maintain my weight. But more often, I just add in a scoop of protein to my morning coffee for a little protein boost. I don't like to eat a large meal in the morning and this helps me reach my nutritional goals. I still aim for 90+ grams of protein a day.

Hope that helps!

~Cheri

Welcome! And I agree with the Premier shakes from costco. I've tried a zillion Proteins and I like that one the best. Low carb, low sugar, high Protein....good taste...

Hope that helps!

~Cheri

Cheri! Where you been, girl???

Cheri! Where you been, girl???

Hidin'. Three of my stepkids are in for the summer so I've got five kids to corral - I pretty much spend my day cooking and nagging, with no time for VST. :)

~Cheri