Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wheezy Whispers-AKA September's Goals

That is a very good anecdote. I think that most people who have the band have already tried dieting and found their weight going down and up again. Diet works for very few people. I tried exercise. It made me feel good but I was still fat. And while I was getting my fill I met a young and very large woman who had gone through Dr. Bernstein's Weight Loss Clinic. She had lost tons but regained it again. For many of us WLS is the only way. I might become kinda nasty with anyone who criticized me for making this choice. What about you?

Green i tried all the diets too.The money i spent on Dr. Bernstein's ;all the diet books etc.; weight watchers , tops ;the list goes on.This is no easy way out. I have paid my dues. I wish i heard about the band sooner.Yes i would be pissed if anyone criticized me.

One of the reasons I did not tell anyone (except for my sisters and my dh) about the surgery was that I did not want to be judged. Only the people closest to me know the struggles I have gone through and still am going through. As for everyone else, it is none of their business. If someone where to find out and was critical, I would be very upset.

One of the reasons I did not tell anyone (except for my sisters and my dh) about the surgery was that I did not want to be judged.

Me too. I think alot of people would think (and do think) that I'm too young, I can't have REALLY tried everything, blah, blah, and that's what I didn't want to hear. Maybe the next diet would have worked... BUT, maybe I'd lose a whole bunch of weight, just to gain it all back again, and be right back where I started. Even though all I've read on here makes me wary of saying it, I think this is for life, and that's the way I'm thinking of it... I'm NOT going to be 284lbs again.

I hear ya loud and clear Wheezy....exactly why very few people know about my surgery.

Mandi....rest assured, if the band had been around when I was 25, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Ummmm okay, granted I didn't need it when I was 25 but you get my point...!!!

I feel the same way, I don't want people to know about it. I don't want to be judged or talked about. I just want to feel better about myself .For once I would like to walk into a store and take something off the rack in a regular size store and know that I could go up a size in their clothing if needed.

Yasmina :phanvan

I told my family and my friends but my husband told people at work and my hairdresser! Hah! I was not amused by this. He is a lovely man but has never had an idea as to when it is best to keep one's mouth shut. My hairdresser, who is very slender, talked to my tenant about it. The hairdresser didn't get it. Fortunately my tenant is also a friend and already knew about the surgery - in fact she was the one who told me about it in the first place - told me that our hairdresser now knows. This would mean that the neighbourhood nows. Green's life is an open book. Oh well. There's nothing I can do about it now except lose weight....

I think I would have to 'take out' anyway who criticized the band. Jerks!!!

Mandi, your journey threw weight gain did'nt start at 25, but you ended it at 25. My son is 15 and already struggles. I would'nt advise it now, but when he's an adult and if he decided to get banded, I would support him 100%,

I think I would have to 'take out' anyway who criticized the band. Jerks!!!

Mandi, your journey threw weight gain did'nt start at 25, but you ended it at 25. My son is 15 and already struggles. I would'nt advise it now, but when he's an adult and if he decided to get banded, I would support him 100%,

So much of the weight issue really is genetic, isn't it? Both my parents were slim but we had fatties in our family and some of us have inherited this problem. My niece is only 30 but she has been struggling with weight ever since she had her child. She is a big woman and she hates it. She is also a single mother, and is lonely. She feels marginalized by her size. She can't afford the operation at this time but is really curious about my experiences with the band.

Both myself and my kid brother were chubby teenagers. We both managed to get this under control for awhile. My weight was manageable until I hit menopause and then I started to get fatter and fatter. My slender mother also ballooned up after menopause. The drugs that I am on for depression pretty much finished off the job. This band is a good thing.

Anyone see the Oprah show today? It was about gastric bypass and how once someone can no longer overeat, they substitute the addiction with another, like alcohol or sex or some other addiction. The point being that you must deal with why you have a weight problem before you should ever consider weight loss surgery because you may get a "transference addiction". Carny Wilson was a guest. She talked about her alcohol addiction after her surgery and how she overcame that. Has anyone experienced anything like this after lap band surgery?

PS I've posted the same thing on the General discussion panel. I thought it would be interesting to see the replies.

I didn't see it but I can see how the "transference" may come into play for some people.

I know that Mr Yoda is hoping I will instead become addicted to sex.

'scuse the pun....but FAT CHANCE!!!!

:heh: :girl_hug:

I didn't see it but I can see how the "transference" may come into play for some people.

I know that Mr Yoda is hoping I will instead become addicted to sex.

'scuse the pun....but FAT CHANCE!!!!

:heh: :girl_hug:

Mr. Lila is believing that, too!!!!

A girlfriend of mine was out with her boyfriend and her bf's dad and some of their buddies. Boyfriend's dad asks Tina "When are you going t marry my son?"

She replies "When I no longer want to have sex."

I think he won't be asking her that again!

LOL That's funny.

Ya, "marriage" is the term that seems paralyze women from the waist down!!!

Not meeeee though!!! (ahem, tho Mr. Yoda may disagree!).

Yes, I suppose I did. I'll be turning 26 next month, and it's a good way to kick off the next 3/4 century. Maybe I'll be quit smoking by then... down 80 (?) lbs... crazy. I should bleach my hair and go all out!

My parents aren't heavy (well, not really) either. My grandma is, and her whole family is. I've always been told I look exactly like my grandma, so I probably picked that up too.

Hopefully your son, Cloe, will get things under control, and won't have to worry about his weight when he is an adult. But it IS now (his age) that's the worst time to be fat. :girl_hug: Maybe he'll take after you and your stellar new habits? :)

And no, I never saw that Oprah today... I wish I had known, I would have DVR'd it! Everyone's talking about it though. I don't think I have any new habits, but I definitely haven't been too excited about giving up smoking. I think I do have an addictive personality, so, who knows what's next. For Dan's sake, lets hope it IS sex.

I joke with friends about my addiction to food. I would have tried drugs if I actually believed I would lose weight doing them. hmmm, .... I'd probably be the fattest meth addict. Such is my struggles,:faint: alas no meth just food. I think my transfer addiction is to shopping.

I've known a few reformed alcoholics who have told me that everyone at the AA meetings chainsmokes and guzzles tons of coffee. These people were all heavy coffee drinkers and smokers.