Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am New Here, Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Hello! I am so happy to have found this forum! I had my gastric sleeve surgery on June 4th after two years of debating whether or not to do it. I made my decision to do this when I was at my highest weight of 272 lbs. It was such a low point in my life. I had no clothes that fit. I had no energy. I was having episodes of sleep apnea which were so scary. I feared for my health and my future, but most of all I felt like life was just passing me by. Then, one of my friends completely inspired me. I saw on Facebook that she had run in the NY Marathon. Normally, one of my physically fit friends doing something like this would not have been an inspiration, because in my mind, they did not have the struggle that I had to face. But this one was different. My friend who ran the marathon used to be my diet buddy. She and I had been on lots of different diets together, each one with some success, but ultimately ended in both of us quitting and gaining more weight. She had always been a little bigger than me. Four years ago, she had gastric bypass. I admit, I felt a little cheated, but I was really happy for her. I watched her transform over the year as she reached her goal weight. She looked wonderful. But more importantly, I watched her come out of her shell. She was suddenly going to parties, getting her picture taken everywhere, hiking with her family and more. I knew she had started running and was running in 5Ks and half marathons. It was amazing. But when I saw her pictures and posts on facebook of successfully completing the NY Marathon, I thought, what am I waiting for?! I got together with her for more information on the surgery and my decision was made. After six months of diet and nutrition counseling required by my insurance and another two months waiting for insurance approval, my surgery was finally scheduled for June 4th ! My surgery went very well. It was the first surgery I had ever had and I was extremely nervous. I was stunned when they woke me up and it was over. The worst part was the nausea as the anesthesia wore off, but I found the more I walked, the better that was. By the time I left the hospital on day 3, I felt pretty good. Now 12 days post op, I don't feel like I even had surgery (other than the change in my eating) I have lost 27 lbs since the day I scheduled surgery! Woo hoo! I am a little daunted by the challenges of learning how to eat post surgery. But I am so excited for the tool and gift that this surgery has given me to become a new and healthy me! I look forward to learning from this forum and sharing with others! Thanks for reading my story!

Hi Tracy!! Thanks for sharing your story with us!! I hope you'll stick around and share the journey as well! :) I'm in Vero Beach, so not that far from you. I see more and more south Florida sleevers here all the time!

Welcome to VST! It sounds like you're doing great! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches