Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes The Best, The Good, The Okay, And The Don't Do It List

I am putting together a list that can help us pre-op sleevers choose which Protein shakes we should purchase. Although everyone has different taste buds I still think it could help :wub: If possible please include store, website, or cost of item if you know. :rolleyes:

Which Protein Shakes are the sweetest? I have a sweet tooth

The best Protein Shakes? your opinion

The good Protein shakes?

The okay protein shakes?

The don't do it if you can protein shakes?

Thinest shakes easiest to get down right after surgery?

Highest protein content?

Shakes with the worse after taste?

Alternative Shakes? Protein bullets?

Here's my opinion. Anything sweetened with Stevia is undrinkable in my opinion. I dumped the Jay Robb down the drain.

Sucralose is pretty good for a diet sweetener. Celebrate ENS is pretty good and it not only has Protein, but Vitamins and minerals as well.

Also, Syntrax nectar Sweets whey Protein Isolates from the Vitamin Shoppe is very good too.

EAS Myoplex Lite ready-made drink is also ok.

I like the premier drinks chocolate from costco. Before surgery they were good now 5 days post op they are to thick for me but my boyfriend is the best and adds a little milk to make it less thick. Gotta love him. :)

I don't mind the Bariatric Advantage. I mix choc and vanilla so that the choc is not sooooo choc. $60 per bag makes 35 shakes. I am pre-op.

The doctors office gave me suggestion to help get Protein down. IDS New Whey Liquid Protein, 12 vials to a box. 3.1fl oz. 42g protein. 176 calories. About $30 a six pack, variety of favors. Best when chilled. Can be diluted or consumed in original state.

I can't do whey Protein Isolate, so this eliminates a lot of options for me.

The Egg White Protein is fine and is a nice addition to other protein mixes if you're trying to boost the numbers.

I also use the green fruitein from Nature's Plus as well as their orange banana creme. I usually add the egg white to these and complementary flavors of crystal light.

For an RTD I use the Ensure HIGH PROTEIN Creamy Milk chocolate. I've been getting grief on here about the carbs, but I don't care about the carbs.

Here is the breakdown for it:

1 bottle

14fl. oz.

210 cal.

2.5g fat

23g carbs

3g Fiber

5g sugars

25g protein

Decent amounts of Vitamins & minerals.

You have to get the HIGH Protein One tho. Ensure's other lines don't have much protein, more sugars and fats.

I've never done low carb and don't pay attention to that. For my current 2-week post-op diet my doc asks me to get a shake a day that's got at least 24 grams of protein.

Starting week 3, I start adding soft foods. Then each week after, adding more. Each stage he's given me guidelines on how much protein he wants me to be shooting for. None of his paperwork talks about carbs.

My pre-op diet was 800 calories and 70+ grams of protein, a day. I chose to do mostly shakes and 1 or 2 meals a day to reach those goals.

I have been on a taste testing spree! I have spent a ton of money to find something decent. I don't like milk so adding the protein-y taste to milk is just tolerable. I have found that chocolate is the least milk tasting of all of the brands I have tried.

The most tolerable for me has been Atkins Advantage-4/5.99

Slim Fast Low carb-milk chocolate-4/5.00

Muscle milk is decent but expensive-1/3.69 The banana is surprisingly better than the chocolate

Oh Yeah drinks from The Vitamin Shoppe has some good flavors but they are a little expensive as well at 1/2.89

All of these seem to be thick and I am still pre-op so I will be watching the list for post-op ideas

I tried the Protein pudding with like no carbs from The Vitamin Shoppe and WHOA! I opened it, tastes a speck and promptly tossed it into the trash! That was a wast of 4.00 for 1 can.

I have been on a taste testing spree! I have spent a ton of money to find something decent. I don't like milk so adding the protein-y taste to milk is just tolerable. I have found that chocolate is the least milk tasting of all of the brands I have tried.

The most tolerable for me has been Atkins Advantage-4/5.99

Slim Fast Low carb-milk chocolate-4/5.00

Muscle milk is decent but expensive-1/3.69 The banana is surprisingly better than the chocolate

Oh Yeah drinks from The Vitamin Shoppe has some good flavors but they are a little expensive as well at 1/2.89

All of these seem to be thick and I am still pre-op so I will be watching the list for post-op ideas

I tried the Protein pudding with like no carbs from The Vitamin Shoppe and WHOA! I opened it, tastes a speck and promptly tossed it into the trash! That was a wast of 4.00 for 1 can.

Do the Atkins Advantage shakes meet the requirements? I can guzzle those things down. I can almost convince myself that they're chocolate milk, if I add a lot of ice. B)

I personally don't like any of the RTD's. They have a chemical taste for me. I like the About Time powders. They have very few ingredients and use high quality Protein.< /p>

I have liked Adkins Advantage Dark chocolate Royale shake, but I tried their vanilla by accident the other day and found I loved it.

I got some Chike (sampler pack) and some Unjury powders recently. I like putting the unjury chicken Soup in low sodium chicken broth. I tried the Chike strawberry in Diet V8 Splash tropical blend and it was scrumptious. I found something called a Vortex drink mixer cup and it makes powders blend like a snap in a few shakes. I tried their Orange Cream in the same thing and didn't like it as well. Maybe it would be better with Water or milk.

My doc receommends EAS Edge (pretty cheap at Walmart) for after surgery. I drank the French Vanilla and liked it - it was thinner than the Adkins. Maybe the thinner means easier to go down post-surgery.

nectar Syntrax has a sweets" line for your sweet tooth. I like the strawberry mousse, and they have many more flavors. I like a lot of them.

Also very good, unjury vanilla and chocolate splendor.

Oh Yeah RTD shakes are pretty good.

Do the Atkins Advantage shakes meet the requirements? I can guzzle those things down. I can almost convince myself that they're chocolate milk, if I add a lot of ice. B)

My doc recommended the Atkins. I would check with your doc but I only have 3 days left and have been doing them the whole time so I hope so! lol

I dont know where all of you are from and the requirements for ur surgeries, but for me, they gave me a strict specific list that is slightly cheaper than the brand I can buy from their office that is turn best option n meets all requirements. On the list is injury, GMC(100% whey) and a cpl others hut my mom has the paper. I think GNC is the best option. Bc all others my nutritionist said the carbs and sugars are wayyyy too high for the prepping diet. :/

I like the Lean shakes from GNC. They have 21g of Protein, are low in carbs, and the pre-made ones, which I get, are lactose free. They come in vanilla and strawberry. The ones from costco, the Premiere Shakes, aren't too bad either but I have a problem digesting them. I think the higher protein level (35g) is a bit harder on my stomach post-op.

If you look in the food forum, under Protein drinks, there is rating of Protein Drinks. I think it's pretty accurate sinice I've tried many of the Protein powders on that list. I d idn't make up the list. I found it online but I agree with the ones they say are excellent and good.

Right now I like Matrix. I get it at vitacost.com It has a good taste with the lowest calories and carbs I've found. I like the orange cream ( I add more SF Torrini orange syrup) and the chocolate.

Loving this thread- this is what I'm doing now. Has anyone tried mixing any of these with Water? I tried the bluebonnet whey Protein in vanilla and it separated on me! Bleh!! Anyone use a magic bullet to mix theirs?