Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So...preop Diet Tanked But Lost 5 Lbs.

Patrick, I admire your courage! A self-imposed diet is a HUGE challenge. But I'm also a control freak like you. When the doctor said this is all I'm allowed for 14 days, it became a challenge. Not with my doctor. Unless I was way off, how would he know? I thew down the challenge for myself. I want to walk in this Thursday in complete compliance. You know, like a game with a perfect score? The weekends have been tortuous but I just dug my heels in and looked at the post-its on my wall showing this is almost over. My uncrossed ones are 3, 2, and YAHOO. Looking forward to crossing them out one at a time.

Keep giving it your best shot. YOU deserve it.

G.

Patrick, you are a trip! LOL. I like you dude. I never thought to ask for my money back. Honestly, if the insurance company is paying, I would figure they would put you on a 6 month strict diet and then allow re-operation. I can't see that happening with any doctor. It cost the insurance company over $20,000, plus a three days hospital stay and all the doctors that visited me and checked on me. I would say they are out $30,000 right now. So my way of thanking the insurance company is by at least following the guidelines. They called me the day after I got out the hospital and when I told them I am no longer diabetic, the insurance company was very happy. The way I look at this, if I am not successful, then other people, like you who want a sleeve, will find it harder through insurance companies to get approval. As I heard, the six month diet requirement came about, because so many people were unsuccessful on the bypass diet. So they wanted to see if patients would stick to a diet for six months. I know bypass patients who were eating whoppers, pizza and full big macs by their second month and eating it regularly.

By the way, I noticed that I mis stated something, Dooter, I apologize. I slipped up and ate two lean cuisine pre-op, not post op. Post op, I have only eaten Soups and liquids. Finally, I am on mushies. No wonder why you thought I was busting my stomach. I am lucky if I get down 1/4 cup of chicken salad. That even feels funny! Yogurt turns into a meal!

Well - I'm self-pay so don't want to be out of the money, and not be able to get the surgery - a little anxious about that.. another reason for my self-imposed diet I don't wanna mess this up lol. This is like my only and last chance it feels like.

This thread was/is very helpful for me. I'm on a pre-op diet and have cheated just about every day. <slaps hand>

But reading this, 1) I realize I'm not alone in feeling this pre-op is HARD WORK, and 2) I definitely wouldn't want the surgeon to decide not to operate because my liver is too large. Perish the thought!!!

So I'm renewing myself and sticking to my pre-op diet so I can be successful. I have to do 2 weeks of liquids because of my BMI. That's HARD for me, but not impossible. I'll appreciate it, once my surgery goes smoothly. ;)

You can do it... just takes some motivation - -make a list of all the things you're fighting for - and look at it daily that is what keeps me going.

Hang in there with the pre op diet Patrick! I did a 2 week liquid diet with only clears for the last 3 days before surgery, it was tough. But, I stuck with it. I was 410 pounds when I started, 3 weeks out I'm almost to 370. It's worth it!

I kept telling myself that I've had enough food in my lifetime to last 3 lifetimes! I also know that I'll be able to have my favorite foods again, just not the quantity.

Yeah agree there, this isn't for life just for a year or two, then can have normal / kid-size amounts of my favorite foods again. Which I'm good with.

Patrick, I admire your courage! A self-imposed diet is a HUGE challenge. But I'm also a control freak like you. When the doctor said this is all I'm allowed for 14 days, it became a challenge. Not with my doctor. Unless I was way off, how would he know? I thew down the challenge for myself. I want to walk in this Thursday in complete compliance. You know, like a game with a perfect score? The weekends have been tortuous but I just dug my heels in and looked at the post-its on my wall showing this is almost over. My uncrossed ones are 3, 2, and YAHOO. Looking forward to crossing them out one at a time.

Keep giving it your best shot. YOU deserve it.

G.

Yeah, for me it's not that the doctor ordered it but that I ordered it because I want to be as healthy as possible when I hit that operating table. Why put my life on the line when I can help it, or jeapordize the surgery. I mean my doctor probably has reasons why he doesn't do the pre-op, but I can prepare my best for it - plus I'm nervous about being able to do the post-op so if I practice it before hand, when I get there it'll be easier.

Also if I can lose 50 pre-op, then another 50 in a month or two post -op, I'll reach my goal of 400s' by my Birthday and that would be AWESOME.

This thread was/is very helpful for me. I'm on a pre-op diet and have cheated just about every day. <slaps hand>

But reading this, 1) I realize I'm not alone in feeling this pre-op is HARD WORK, and 2) I definitely wouldn't want the surgeon to decide not to operate because my liver is too large. Perish the thought!!!

So I'm renewing myself and sticking to my pre-op diet so I can be successful. I have to do 2 weeks of liquids because of my BMI. That's HARD for me, but not impossible. I'll appreciate it, once my surgery goes smoothly. ;)

Keep pumping! I was given permission to eat one Lean cuisine at night, because I was diabetic pre-op. Maybe that same exception can be made for you. It is really up to your NUT and your surgeon. As long as you are losing weight is really all that matters when it comes to shrinking your liver. They give you a liquid diet to practice for after surgery. If you want to see what your liver looks like, they did an ultrasound and an upper GI and both times I saw what my liver looked like. In the ultrasound which was five weeks pre-surgery, it looked fatty. When I started my liquid diet and lost 20 pounds, they did the upper GI and it was much smaller. It was only covering the top part of the stomach. I found out the doctor has to lift the liver while he or she is stapling your stomach. Everybody was nice in explaining everything to me. I am glad I was at Alexian Brothers, because I was treated like a king.

I feel you Patrick. There was a guy, he was 600 lbs, too, I was sitting next to in the introduction meeting. He was a second timer. He got cold feet the morning of the surgery and walked out of the hospital. His wife said she could have killed him. He was self-pay and they didn't charge him anything. I am sure everything will be fine. They will make sure you are ready.

Patrick your goal is so incredibly reachable and I know you can do it! How are you doing today?

food channel is probably not a good station to watch post-sleeve lol

I think I have watched more food Network now than I ever did before the sleeve. Call me crazy! I am still very early on in my recovery....I am only 10 day post op but I love watching it! I really don't have the desire to eat right now. Some things smell and look good but food just isn't very appealing. I am very sure that this will change and fairly quickly, but I will take advantage of it now. I am -21 lbs now, down 11 preop and -10 Postop, 79 to go.

I'm doing good.. EAS Protein shakes bout make me barf though.. -- and slimfast has too much sugar - gonna finish off the ones I have now @ 1 max per day, and then get skim milk to mix my powder in.

Also gonna try unflavored mixed with broth. and I have an powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury sample pack that I haven't tried yet.

Diet today:

1 eas advantage shake

1 scoop ON Gold whey

1 Slimfast

1 MCD Premium salad (20 carb, 30 protein)

So far so good! (It's when I get in my car and drive past all the fast food joints that I'm in the most danger lol)

You're doing good! I'm glad that you are trying different shakes to try to find one you like. That shows determination! I know what you mean about driving passed fast food! Our Walmart has one inside it, and also around it so you smell it all the time. I'm big with smells, when I smell good food I want to eat it! I'll be okay though. One thing I noticed is that when you cook vegetables they also smell VERY delicious! I am going to try to eat all vegetable meals with lean meats baked or broiled or boiled only with no sauces but spices and herbs and that's it. I notice that when I grill fresh vegetables or lean chicken or meat that it smells just as good if not better than those fast food places and it makes the thought in my head that yeah, these healthy foods I can just eat so much better and they don't make me fat! So I try to keep those positive thoughts rolling in my head like that as much as possible.

For grilling I have an electric grill because where I live we are not allowed propane and I think charcoal takes too long and I can't stand around that long. What I do is I sit in an outside chair near the grill that I can lean my arm over and open up the lid to see how the things are doing. So all I need to stand for is to get the food off onto a plate. It works since electric outside grills don't have as much heat coming off that you have to be so far away from them and they also are not as big as a regular grill! Just a big bulb shape like your standard charcoal grill is.

Maybe that is something you might enjoy, I don't know. But it's nice to do once in a while for me to mix things up a little and have a great BBQ in healthy form. I don't need all the sauce and salt to have a delicious shishkabob with fresh veggies and chunks of plain chicken and shrimp!

Also gonna try unflavored mixed with broth. and I have an unjury sample pack that I haven't tried yet.

Try the Unjury chicken Soup. It's amazing. I would have never guessed I was a Protein mix. Kinda taste like chicken ramen broth.

I've got that but haven't tried yet. I'll try it for dinner!