Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Would I Know If My Sleeve Had A Leak?

Fever and pain are commonly cited signs of a leak. They should check you for a leak before you leave the hospital (usually, they do this before they allow you to ingest anything). They will discharge with instructions on "when to call" but a fever, severe nausea, and severe pain are often associated with leaks.

Some people have different signs of a leak, though, so it's always smart to err on the side of caution... if something just doesn't seem right, call the surgeon or hospital. Better safe than sorry, especially while you are in the early healing stages.

I went to the hospital at day 4 post op for high fever. The dr's ran more test to just be sure Bo leak and said he would know by my appearance. I would be DEATHLY Ill. When he walked in and seen me sitting up he Said he felt releif! I had cellulitis or infection under incision. That landed me another 4 days of iv antibiotics! I was releived though that they found the source of the fever! (:

Yes, what those two said! Also I've heard some people just vomit bile. Generally it is severe pain and fever. It is also VERY rare.

I had left shoulder pain - extreme - found out later this was referred from my diaphragm, the abscess from the leak was pressing on it. No fever. Dr said he couldn't believe I wasn't sick from it. This was at least 3 weeks after it started - first indicator was a super high ferritin level that wasn't caught for several weeks then sent to a hematologist they were actually thinking possibly lung cancer and when they did the CT scan of my chest it happened to catch the abscess in a view. Everyone kept telling me every day would get better, I never felt great but never felt sick either.

I had a leak. Woke up from a nap, stood up and felt the worst pain imaginable. You won't question a leak, you will definitely know something is wrong. My dr described it to my family like someone cutting open your abdomen and pouring lysol on your organs.

I had a fever, nausea, flu like symptoms, pain in my left shoulder and center of my abdomen. I was not deathly ill or felt as though my stomach was being ripped apart but it was an obvious ill that could tell something was definitely wrong. I don't think the leak test they give right after surgery is fool proof because your stomach is so swollen. Don't EVER ignore symptoms that are out of sync with normalcy.

Ok so leaks are vary rare right? It is strange to see several people answer in a row about how they recognized their leaks. I'm being sleeved on the 5th and I wasn't scared until I read this thread.... Oh me oh my!!!!

It's only about 2% of all the surgeries done from what I've seen published before.

And I am sure that 2% ildepends on various factors.. Thks!

It happens. I don't know the statistics at this point since so many people have had the surgery but don't go into it thinking there are no risks. Keep that in mind so if something does happen you can be prepared. Most important is if you are afraid of the risks, make sure you have a good surgeon who can deal with complications. I don't mean to scare anyone but just wanted to give an honest answer,,no candy coating from me.

I was like you and thought the 2% would be people older than me and people that weighed more than me. The truth is that anyone can be the 2%. Im 31, no comorbidities. Followed preop diet exactly. I was my drs first sleeve leak and I didn't do anything wrong to cause a leak as I was still in the hospital. I had agreed to let two reps from the makers of sleeve equipment be in the surgery room to watch my surgery which gave me the extra confidence that everything was going to be flawless. Leaks can happen to anyone. I wish I wouldnt have told myself that they'd only happen to older, bigger people with more problems. Don't want to scare you but I have three boys who I really thought I wouldn't be around for while in hospital two weeks. They are rare but can happen.

I am sorry you had to go through that. That sounds very frightening. I realize they can happen to anyone, just trying to self talk some courage since mine is Tuesday. Not really sure how i will handle a leak, since if it happens i will be more ill than I have ever been and of course if a die it totally would not have been worth it. I think only a handful of people would do these types of surgeries if sleeves were a guarantee. I have two young boys myself and I love my life... I hate being heavy because it prevents me from participating fully in my kiddos life, causes some undesirable health effects, as well as, a few self-absorbed reasons. Will it be worth

It? I put my trust in God and hope it will.