Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

USA should take a page out of Australia's handbook!

And I'd just like to point out that RUSSELL CROWE IS NOT AN AUSTRALIAN.

Although he is a fair dinkum, you beaut, true blue WANKER!

So no one in Australia has guns? Is there no hunting in Australia?

Oh comon... of course there's hunting in Oz.

Everyone knows they use boomerangs!

(heehee)

And I'd just like to point out that RUSSELL CROWE IS NOT AN AUSTRALIAN.

Although he is a fair dinkum, you beaut, true blue WANKER!

Crikey. :)

T.O.M.

The original Australians were sent to Australia as a way of avoiding prison.

What is this supposed to mean TOM, it sounds like a tired old statement and an offensive one I may add:(

wheeler- another proud aussie

The original Australians were sent to Australia as a way of avoiding prison.
T.O.M.

What is this supposed to mean TOM, it sounds like a tired old statement and an offensive one I may add:(

wheeler- another proud aussie

I was referring to Botany Bay. I had read that as a way of building up the colony's population, people convicted of crimes in England were given the option of emmigrating to Australia rather than serving their sentence in England.

No offense intended.

Um, actually that doesnt give a really good view of Australian policy regarding multiculturalism. Australia is very much a multicultural country, tolerant of all cultures and taken out of context (which by isolating it like that you've unintentionally done), that little speech sounds alarmingly racist to me and in no way reflects our views on other cultures as a whole. I'd like to think that there is no ethnic "other" in my country. Most of us live happily amidst many different cultures and most cultural groups in Australia have a wonderful freedom to assimilate into the mainstream communit as well as keeping in touch with their ethnic heritage and traditions.

In the wake of recent world unrest, Australians have actually been incredibly tolerate of our muslim citizens, of course there have been isolated incidents of racism fuelled by fear and ignorance, but as a general rule we exist happily and peacefully in this country. Australians dont as a general rule ask immigrants to either check their heritage at the door or get lost.

If you'd like a lifestyle where you have the wonderful opportunity learn from and appreciate all cultures then Australia is a great place to live.

The climate and lifestyle are fantastic. You can live in the tropics and wear shorts and singlets all year, or you can choose a mild and moderate climate further south. We have great food, great people and a pretty fair and equitable health and welfare system compared to the rest of the world. The old ideals of classed societies dont apply in Australia, everyone has the right to have a go and some of our most successful and powerful people have hauled themselves up from their humble beginnings on the wrong side of the track. We have footy and we have beer and we are holding on (just) to a healthier lifestyle for our kids than many other places in the world enjoy. Our education system is great.

We really are the lucky country.

Hi Jachut,

I didn't write it or isolate it - it was forwarded to me. Do you have a copy of the entire speech? I'd love to read it.

I'm not suggesting that religious intolerance is the way to go. I am agreeing with this 'snippet' that religious fanatics who believe their religion gives them the right to attack, kill, and maim others should not be tolerated. If religious leaders can't control their followers, they should be deported.

For what it's worth, Australia sounds fabulous. I like having my guns, but if no one else had guns, I'd be more likely to be comfortable without mine. What a vicious circle, huh?

The thread opens by saying that the e-mail was varified by snopes.com

But if you read the e-mail printed in this thread and compare it to what snopes.com has, you have two very different things.

About the only thing in common between the two is that the Austrailian government said that the Australian law is the law of the land and will thrump religious law. And if you don't want to follow the law, you can leave.

I AGREE WITH THAT 100% BOTH THERE AND IN THE USA.

Australians Got It Right!

(Verified on Snopes.com - see last item below - Source: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/australia.asp).

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown. Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its laws were made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you", he said on national television.

"I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia: one the Australian law and another the Islamic law, that is false. If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off. Basically people who don't want to be Australians, and who don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians."

"However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a

better life by coming to Australia." "However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand." "This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle."

"This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom."

"We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, Learn the language!"

"Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture."

"We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us."

"If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.

"This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'."

"If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted."

Maybe if we circulate this amongst ourselves, American citizens will find the backbone to start speaking and voting the same truths!!

SEND THIS TO EVERYBODY YOU KNOW !

Muslims Out of Australia!

CANBERRA AUSTRALIA: Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks. A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown.

Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that australia was a secular state and its laws were made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you," he said on national television. "I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia, one the Australian law and another the Islamic law, that is false.

If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to other country which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option," Costello said. Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country.

Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off". "Basically, people who don't want to be Australians, and they don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then they can basically clear off," he said. Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

I just want to clear up a few things here.

First of all, the Muslim religion does not advocate killing. It's certain groups' interpretations that justify killing.

Second, I have quite a few Aussie friends and I agree that overall, Australia seems to be a much more liberal place than the United States. Personally, I like the idea of "live and let live" that many of my Aussie friends have adopted. Talking to them has mellowed me out quite a bit.:biggrin1: I think that "statement" was taken out of context. It doesn't seem very "Australian" to me.

My husband and I actually considered moving and checked into real estate in the Sydney suburbs but job relocation didn't work out. Ahhh some day you'll find me soaking up the sun on the Gold Coast!!!:wacko:

Just to clarify Donna, I didnt mean that YOU had deliberately taken the speech out of context, just that in and of itself it means very little, except to sound rather alarming. It doesnt immediately sound obvious that it is in fact referring to extremist, fundamentalist groups, not immigrants who come here for a better life but wish to retain their ethnic beliefs, customs and heritage.

I just want to clear up a few things here.

First of all, the Muslim religion does not advocate killing. It's certain groups' interpretations that justify killing.

Well, I think there are actually passages that do advocate killing, and I could provide some actual examples. BUT (and it's a big but).

There is also a lot of killing within the Old Testament, so to state that the Qur'an can be used to justify homicide, is somewhat unfair unless you make the same allegation against the Bible.

I think though (and this is a rehash) is religion aside, if an individual doesn't want to abide by the law of the land, they shouldn't be surprised at being asked to leave - or being imprisoned.

I don't want to get into a political debate but would love to live in OZ. I think that experiencing a different people, differnt land, food, lifestyle, customs would be a wonderful learning experience. I am not about to abandon my country, my blood runs Red White and Blue. But to live in a more peaceful land would be great. We have guns in our home, we are gun club members, my husbands entire family hunts. I have several containers of deer in the freezer right now. That is one thing I would change about the good ole USA is the gun control. I also wish that violent crimes were more harshly punished. Ok, back to the political debate. ~Mandy

Rolf Harris and Digeridoos scare me.

That's why I've never been, and will likely never go.

(actually, I always wanted a Didgeridoo!)

Steve scares everyone. If his wife isn't scared, she should be.

"Alright, look at this big salty, he must be 36 feet long, and he's distracted right now because he's chewing my kid's leg, crikey".

And... just because I'm feeling malicious....

http://rolfharrisjukebox.com/