Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was The Worst... (Newbie Here!)

My vote for the hardest goes to the 2 week pre-op diet too. I think the combination of cutting out sugar and carbs, along with the massive cut in calories, shocked my system. I was so hungry, had a few days of head aches and was so cranky it's a wonder my family put up with me! ;) My rec overy was smooth and much easier than I had anticipated. I would just say to take the 2 weeks before and the 2 weeks after, one day at a time.....after that it's truly a breeze!

Oh, and I'm with Lissa too....realizing that working out would now be a part of my life was also a bummer lol I enjoy it now, but I've never considered myself an athlete or "fit" by any means!!

congrats! I had an excellent recovery process... I'm only 9 days post op and have felt amazing since day 1. I have had no pain and no problems keeping anything down. it has been the best decision of my life.

I am 28 and my only regret is not doing it sooner! I wanted to do it now while I was young, only 100lb overweight, no health problems like high blood pressure or diabetes. I didn't wanna have to do in my 40s when I had all these problems. bc they all run in my family. I am down 24.2 from may 2... start of my liquid dust and 12lb from surgery day! it's crazy!

I also went to two different seminars. I've been reading message boards and watching YouTube and have gained a ton of knowledge. luckily for me.. I didn't have to wait a long time... my insurance didn't require it. my initial dr appt was march 15 and I was sleeved may 16. I was on top of all my preop appts! honestly for me the hardest part was not being able to have any liquids day of surgery and also the barium for the X-ray. the only time I had to vomit was from that stuff :/ good luck and you'll do great

Worst part has been bouts of diarrhea. Everything else is a step and if you truly want this surgery there is not really worst parts - just mountains and valleys :) if I have a bad moment I just look in the mirror and see how amazing my body is changing. The whole process is not a walk in the park but the results are like Christmas Eve as a kid - its exciting to see weight loss without a struggle! I have never been as happy as I am now that my life has hope. This has been the best decision I made for my health and for my daughter - she needed her mom for a lot longer than a few more years :)

So I have a little diarrhea lol it's ok I have my life handed back to me every time I get in the scale.....

I did a two week very low carb diet prior to surgery. I could eat food and I still thought it was really tough!

Probably the toughest thing was actually coming to grips with the decision to proceed. I was pretty torn, I knew I needed something, but I didn't really want to do it.

The worst single moment was waking up from the surgery. My first memory was of some mean people (haha) making me get up to walk to another recliner to rest on. They said, the sooner you walk, the better you will feel. At that moment, if I had the strength, I would have slapped somebody. lol. I felt better in a few minutes.

Maybe because I was expecting the worst.... overall things weren't as bad as I expected them to be!

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I think the strangest part for me is hearing all the stories from people who had major surgery and have no (or minimal) complaints! Every day I'm more and more sure that this is right for me.

i went to 2 different seminars..first one was for the lap band and the 2nd was a combination of all 3 options..during the course of the 2nd seminar i realized that the lap band wasnt for me due to my BMI being so high :( so that left me with the bypass and the sleeve..well i knew i didnt want anything bypassed so i made the decision to go with the sleeve..im in the process of doing what the insurance wants me too and hopefully i will be sleeved by the end of the summer..i too have been overweight my entire life..yea im nervous b/c ive never had major surgery before but i know what the outcome is going to be..me feeling so much better and being able to do things im not able to right now due to the weight i carry..

Welcome!! I was lucky and didnt have a 2 week liquid diet... I really didn't have to do a pre op diet at all! Just the day before was liquids... I'm

Almost 2 weeks post op and so far the hardest part is just parting ways with your old ways! The way I used to eat and WHAT I used to eat is the hardest part for me!

You would think once you get out it'd be easy as pie but it's definitely a lot harder than I thought... But the minute u start seeing results it makes it easier! I've already lost 20 lbs!! Good luck on your journey!