Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was The Worst... (Newbie Here!)

Part of your journey?

I am new to this whole thing. I've thought about WLS for a while but just recently really started researching. I've been reading the forums here for a couple of weeks, but this is my first post. I went to one seminar in my hometown last week, and am going to the next closest one next week (about 50 miles away). I feel like I should look into at least two options before I settle on one. The whole decision making process is proving to be both scary and exciting, but I'm about 75% sure as of right now. It may take me another 3 information sessions to make up my mind, but I'm ok with that. I've been overweight my entire life- so what's a few more months?! I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing for me.

A little history... I just turned 29 and have been overweight my entire life. Ove the past several years, I have gotten sever parts of my life in order that really needed working on. My weight, I feel, is the last really big piece and I'm finally in a place where I'm ready and able to deal with it. At my past PCP visit last week we discussed my options for losing weight and she mentioned surgery as an option since I am young and healthy. She also mentioned that I had been seeing her for 7 years and my weight has stayed within a 15 pound range for the entire time, which she said was actually very good in terms of surgery because it means I'm very stable with my habits.

Thanks for listening. I look forward to learning from you all!

Hi Alexis & welcome to VST. Like you, my PCP recommended weight loss surgery, even though I'm retired (65-yrs. old). I have other health issues such as sleep apnea, high blood pressure, Type-ll Diabetes, etc., so weight loss surgery seems to be the right way to go.

I have attended a couple of seminars (attend as many as you can). The more information you can learn about, the better. Check YouTube too as many people post videos of the experiences.

Good luck on your journey. You have to do what's right for YOU!

Hands down, the worst part of this journey was the 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I thought I would die - but I didn't. :) My advice is to do tons of research and decide which one (if any) is best for you. Choose a doctor you are confident in and go for it. You will not be sorry!!

After having my initial (pre-surgery) meeting with my weight loss surgeon (on May 17), I decided to put myself on a diet to see how things go. At the meeting I weighed in at 302-lbs. Since that time (7+ days), I've lost 13-lbs.! The main thing I've done is cut-the-carbs.

I imagine the 2-3 week pre-op diet is a real winner, and I've read lots about it.

Welcome, Alexis! It seems all doctors are different. I do not have to do a pre-op diet, just liquid the day before the surgery. My insurance company required me to be part of a 12 month WL counseling program. I think that's too long but I'm so educated now! I will be sleeved 6/14. I was very very very apprehensive when I started this journey but I've read so much on this forum and like SDB1147 said, youtube is super helpful, too! Now, I'm convinced the sleeve is for me. But it boils down to what is best for you! Good luck on your journey!!

I vote for the pre-op diet too. I was in San Diego the night before surgery waiting it out and watching TV, some local pizza joint had this 4 cheese pizza that looked absolutely fantastic. I almost caved and ordered it. I also had a lot of nausea post-op and felt like crap for about 2 months afterwards, but it was a small price to pay. I am now healthier and feel better than I EVER have been as an adult. Just had my annual checkup last month and EVERYTHING turned out well, blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol (down from the high 200's to 133!) and all other standard lab tests were aced. It was the BEST decision I ever made.

How interesting. I didn't have a problem with the pre-op diet. In fact, I left behind a couple of shakes (because I lost track of what I had already eaten two of the days). I just spaced my shakes out perfectly and never had a problem.

For me, the hardest part was the first two weeks. The pain of eating or drinking anything had me in tears. I totally regretted the decision at first. But that goes away pretty quickly and then the fun starts. It's really a fun process watching the weight go down and slowly regaining energy and mobility. I'm actually enjoying myself now and I'm not even at the 3 month mark yet.

Worst part for me is getting in all the supplements along with my regular medications. I have to take a handful of something several times a day. Not exagerating, taking all the pills has caused an aversion to drinking Water, something I used to do all day long. Now I have to force Water down and can only drink it if flavored with something like Crystal Light.

But I'd still do it all over again, stupid pills and all.

The hardest part was having to deal with my Mom passing away a week after my surgery. It created alot of stress and more and caused a bit of trouble with me progressin gfrom liquids and very sof mushies.

Beyond that, I think the point where it hit that I had to admit I needed this, it was hard. I had tried sooo long. To admit I can't do it was kind of a dicotomy to the fact that I knew I could...with the surgery.

I don't quite understand taking all the prescribed supplements (for the rest of your life!), when eating anything seems difficult at best. I've been researching all the chewable/liquid vitamins/supplements. Seems more and more companies are making them. Go Gummie-Bears!

The hardest part was having to deal with my Mom passing away a week after my surgery. It created alot of stress and more and caused a bit of trouble with me progressin gfrom liquids and very sof mushies.

Beyond that, I think the point where it hit that I had to admit I needed this, it was hard. I had tried sooo long. To admit I can't do it was kind of a dicotomy to the fact that I knew I could...with the surgery.

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope all works out better for you soon.

Yes, gummies are good, I use them for Vitamin C and multi-Vitamins. I even found some Gummy Fiber, which is working well. Unfortunately, or maybe it is fortunate, my surgeon requires a whole lot more than just multi-vitamins, so I have a ton of supplement pills plus a ton of prescription meds I have to take.

Just a royal pain, but if that's the worst thing I have to suffer, so be it!

Welcome to VST!

Like many have said, the pre-op diet was difficult for me. But in all honesty it was all the indecision and fear that lead up to the surgery that was the worst for me.

On the back end, I am not even sure what I was so afraid of, but I had a lot of fear of this post-op life, couldnt imagine the change, fear of lossing my crutch (food).

I wish you luck with your decision./

The pre-op liquid diet was the worst part for me as well. The next hardest part for me was realizing that, no matter what, I was going to have to add exercise to my daily life. Doing it isn't the toughest part, but realizing that I was going to have to "Just Do It" was tough for me to wrap my head around. At 9 months out, though, I feel 100% better and I'm down over 100 pounds, so I am inspired to keep exercising and following the guidelines my surgeon gave me.