Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shame on Golden Corral.

I wish I knew how to start a poll. I think this would be an interesting poll. Something like,

Yes I deserve a discount at rest. because I had WLS. or

NO, I don't deserve one.

I don't know that it is about deserving it, but it is nice to be charged for what I am eating. I don't refuse to go to places that charge me full price, like I said I eat at Golden Corral on occasion. I perfer places that have a healthy selection and Golden Corral offers rotissery chicken and a couple of really good sugar free Desserts. I will never eat at Bakers Square again because they added a fee to my kids meal without warning and then treated me like crap when I questioned what the fee was for. They charged me $5 for 3 chicken tenders and a scoop of mashed potatos and tried to tell me that they were losing money on kids meals. I ordered a coffee and paid for it even though a drink is included in the kids meal price and they still charged me $2 as a service fee. We usually eat at home but the rare times we eat out I try to still eat a healthy meal, not crap. Like I said it's not a deal breaker but it's nice to have the option of a discount. Our local family owned place lets me order off the senior menu, that includes coffee and Soup, a small entree and ice cream or pie for dessert. I order off that menu, the portion is smaller and it is a little cheaper then a regular entree. That is a good option for most places, like Denny's. I will start a poll later this afternoon, I am on my way out. ~Mandy

my 2 cents,

I don't expect any kind of discount and I doubt I would ask for one. But I have had waiters ask me if I didn't like the food because I didn't eat that much and when I tell them I have had WLS I have been offered a discount...some times...not all the time.

However if I ordered off a children's menu and I got charged a "service fee" that I wasn't told about I would be p.o.'d and I don't blame ya for not going back. There is no excuse for hidden fees. I would do the same thing and just not go back there.

I'm single & childless, and I eat almost all my meals out.

Even still, the whole thought of those "All You Can Graze" places is kinda repulsive to me. I never ate beef, pork, red meat before banding so buffets aren't my style.

From "Golden Corral" (which I call the "It's NOT O.K. Corral" & the "Golden Feed-Bag" or Chi-Chi's, which I call Cheap-Cheap or any of those spots - their type of food wasn't my favourite type before banding and they're simply useless to me since banding.

The only place I even encounter buffets much is Vegas - but I'm just not a buffet lover. So if I'm there alone or with a friend, I steer us towards regular restaurants & cafes.

Now on my last trip to Vegas I went with a larger group and found they like buffets. I either ordered a-la-carte or shopped while they ate & ate. At this restriction level, I just can't eat enough to justify a $22-$30 buffet of stuff I don't like.

Now a $30 or $50 meal of things I choose from a menu? :hungry: Great. I'm on it.

But as for my card, I don't remember ever showing it for a meal discount - I just order child's portion or ask for menu suggestions. It's just not a big deal for me, anyway.

But for whoever threw their Inamed LapBand card away? :)

The card Inamed provides (it's often in the new LapBand patient packet) is NOT for restaurant discount reasons. It's so that other doctors and emergency personnel can understand your new slightly-altered anatomy. It is very helpful: all my other non-WLS docs have a copy in their patient files for me, and I make sure they put one in my hospital patient file when I go for non-WLS procedures like PS, or my sinus surgery. I don't want anyone intubating me without understanding I'm banded.

And yes LapBands don't go off in regular walk-through metal detectors but they can 'go off' when airport or other security personnel use hand-held metal wands, at least 50% of the time. Often the authorities assume it's my belt buckle but I know it's my Silicone Freeloader, LOL. :D

Just my .02.

I'm single & childless, and I eat almost all my meals out.

Even still, the whole thought of those "All You Can Graze" places is kinda repulsive to me. I never ate beef, pork, red meat before banding so buffets aren't my style.

From "Golden Corral" (which I call the "It's NOT O.K. Corral" & the "Golden Feed-Bag" or Chi-Chi's, which I call Cheap-Cheap or any of those spots - their type of food wasn't my favourite type before banding and they're simply useless to me since banding.

The only place I even encounter buffets much is Vegas - but I'm just not a buffet lover. So if I'm there alone or with a friend, I steer us towards regular restaurants & cafes.

i dont like them either. i am going because i dont want to raise a fuss with family. I am going more for the company than the food usually its a family gathering or meeting.

i would rather go pay $12-13 for an order of calamari at a fine rest. or bar!

Put me down as no, I don't expect a discount. I have a card but haven't ever used it. Frankly I don't think it's the restaurant's problem to give me a discount if I don't eat much. It's really my issue and where I decide to eat. If I go to a buffet knowing I won't eat much I consider that my own problem not the restaurant. I doubt I will ever use the card. I was surprised when the Dr.gave it to me. I guess I'm strange but it feels a little like begging to me.

Linda

Banded 6/5/06

Springfield, MO

294 prior to surgery 250 now

I don't know how to do fancy things with the computer. I need to learn.

. But for whoever threw their Inamed LapBand card away? :)

The card Inamed provides (it's often in the new LapBand patient packet) is NOT for restaurant discount reasons. It's so that other doctors and emergency personnel can understand your new slightly-altered anatomy. It is very helpful: all my other non-WLS docs have a copy in their patient files for me, and I make sure they put one in my hospital patient file when I go for non-WLS procedures like PS, or my sinus surgery. I don't want anyone intubating me without understanding I'm banded.

And yes LapBands don't go off in regular walk-through metal detectors but they can 'go off' when airport or other security personnel use hand-held metal wands, at least 50% of the time. Often the authorities assume it's my belt buckle but I know it's my Silicone Freeloader, LOL. :D

Just my .02.

The only card I ever got said I had WLS so could I please order off the children's menu or something like that. It just said RESTRAUNT CARD across the top of it. It never said anything about INAMED or anything like that. I would have kept a card that had more to do than just for restaraunts.

The only card I ever got said I had WLS so could I please order off the children's menu or something like that. It just said RESTRAUNT CARD across the top of it. It never said anything about INAMED or anything like that. I would have kept a card that had more to do than just for restaraunts.

Same here, I never got a card for emergencies...wonder why not?

I got a card from my doctor. most doctors should give you a card to carry in your wallet. I haveused it a Golden Corral and other restaurants since I travel for business. It works great for me... Saves me money too. However, until I get my fill on Tuesday.... I can eat like a horse........... Lsot 40 since June 21st but gained 5 back this week. Bring on the fill!

I got a card also from inamed, but it's for health reasons, to show to any one in case of emergency. I guess it would serve as proof of surgery for a discount, but that's not the point, it was given for medical reasons. I didn't even realize there is another card that is for meal discounts only. I didn't get any thing like that.

My card from Inamed has the picture of the band and medical information about ulcer causing medications. But is also has this patient can only eat 4-8 oz at a time. I will get the card out and post the exact wording later, right now everyone at my house is sleeping. ~Mandy

My doctor's instructions for lapband include the statement: No buffets! Why would you go to a buffet and expect special treatment? Go to a restaurant and order what you can eat, or go to a buffet and pay for it. Eat what you can and chalk up the rest to the convience of that restaurant. I wouldn't expect them to special price me for a buffet.

I dont eat at buffets anymore, and when we do go out Hubby and I split a meal OR I take most home and eat it the next day.

I do not have a card, but I know you can get one on the obesity.com site

Nana~

I just have to add my two cents in to this. My husband and I own a small family restuarant. I would never deny a person ordering off the kids menu, if its because of WLS or a senoir who can't eat that much, or any personal reason. But thats because I care about my customers without them we would not have a buisness.I do every thing I can to accomidate thier needs and give good service. It sounds to me that these big chain buffets don't give a crap if your happy OR come back OR if you take you family and friends with you! The nerve! it really is about the dollar. I would rather sell you a kids meal than not have you as a customer! Why don't they see it that way? GREED!?! I'm glad there's none of these places where I live.

I see a difference between a lower price at a buffet and ordering a child's meal from a regular place after reading this thread.

I used to eat more then an average person at a buffet, but didn't have to pay more. So it would seem fair really that if I choose to go there, I pay full price now.

But in a regular place, the owners have decided that the amount they sell the kids meal for is worth it to them, and so I don't see why they wouldn't allow ordering it.