Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AUGUST BAND CAMP - welcome campers !!

AUGUST 2006

I would love to hear from everyone banded this month! I am on Day 14. Had some semi solid food today (ground up hamburger and some salad). To be honest, I could eat without any feeling of restriction. Is this normal? I was expecting it to feel so different. I heard so much about how I'd have to chew and chew and chew. But I didn't find that to be the case. I heard that I wouldn't be able to eat salad - it went down fine and tasted good. SO much better than those gross, gross, gross God-forsaken shakes !! I'm soooo OD'd on those that just the smell makes me nauseous.

I'm thinking of trying some diet coke, because Lord knows I'm really jonesing for that. I used to have 6 or 7 a day between diet coke and diet sprite. I have not tried any because I heard in all the support group meetings about what havoc it causes. But I feel like I'm cruising along. Then I get this feeling: hey, I'm trying to turn a new leaf here and create a new way of eating and drinking. I shouldn't have soda. But it is calorie free, and I certainly read much, much worse food items openly discussed on these boards as regular menu items for bandsters which shock me. They are so high calorie (like spare ribs). So what's a little diet sprite???

Am I in the right mindset here? I'd appreciate hearing from some of you who are very successful in losing weight with your band - what should I be eating at day 14 (for the next few days and weeks) if I want to be successful like you??? Please give it to me straight - I can take it!! What the "skinny" on doing great, yet maintaining your sanity and not feeling like a freak? At my OB-GYN appt on day 11, I was down 10 pounds from my surgery day weight. That's great, but as I transition to solid food, I want to keep losing the FLAB!!

Some other questions are: When will I start to feel restriction? And am I doing myself a disservice by having hamburger so early on here? The Protein Shakes were grossing me out so bad, I haven't had a single one in 48 hours, so I went to the burger to get Protein. Also, will I always be consious of my port? It kinda jumps out at me when I smooth over my stomach area. My husband calls it my "doorbell"!!

I'm so grateful for this band, and for this forum to learn, share, and blow off some steam! THANKS EACH AND EVERY ONE!

Caroline,

Hi! I'm Jamie and I am set to be banded on Tuesday! I just wanted to make a comment about the soda drinking. I know that my doctor doesn't want us drinking carbonated drinks ever because it creates gas that can stretch your pouch. I'm no expert though since I'm not banded yet, but I just wanted to share what I know :) Also, I think you are okay by eating ground beef 14 days out as long as you had no discomfort and as far as restriction I heard that there is usually no restriction until the first fill. Hope that helped!! Also just so you know there is another "Aug Band Crew" thread that is all about people being banded this month incase you want to get in on that one too! :)

Hello Caroline, We must have seen each other on the 4th cause I was banded by Dr Haag first thing that morning. I feel the same as you with regard to the shakes. I actually think like vomiting if i even smell one of those things again. My sister thinks I'm nuts, but I can smell them in my head and could literally gag! I haven't tried anything radical yet but did have some tuna fish yesterday. Didn't sit well in my intestines! I went golfing with hubby and had a couple of sips of his beer.

I have a noticeable increase in how much i can eat and don't like it one bit. I can't give you any advice. I just feel that I know what's good and bad and I really do try to watch out. I walked the treadmill for 20 minutes and will do so again today.

I love my port and try to get hubby to love it too. I make him feel it all the time like when i was pregnant. It must be my new baby.

Good luck to you and hope to meet you someday.

What a coincidence that you were operated just before me. My surgery time was 1:30, and he was running ahead of schedule. By any chance, do you know what brand and size of band he uses? I've read on this forum much talk about the different brands/sizes of bands, and I'm wondering what ours are.

I, too, am very happy thus far with my surgery results. Did Dr. Haag require you to go on a pre-op diet? It seems like everyone on here was required to go on one, and I never even heard a word about that concept!

I'm eating all regular food now. Had fish last night. I'm eating less for sure, but not because of feeling any restriction. I fit into some size 16 capris yesterday that haven't fit me in over a year!! Yay! Keep in touch for sure. I will enjoy hearing about your progress!