Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi guys!!! I'd so love to! But me and hubby have big clan gathering at his folks place in caloundra!!! Any other time will be great! I'm sure you're all looking very very slim these days ;) *jealous*

Let me know whenever you want to gather again!!!

Ladies are you taking multi Vitamins? Your body is still repairing itself for the first month' date=' so probably ok to be a bit tired at the moment, although thankfully I had amazing energy from day I got home from hospital. Nutrition especially Protein, Water and multi's pretty important.[/quote']

Yup I'm on a multi Vitamin, Vitamin D and Iron. I've been googling high Protein and energy foods and incorporating them in as much as possible while staying within my daily calories.

Does anyone take a hair and nail Vitamin? I got some today but am freaking out at how big they are! But I'm more scared of losing my (already very fine) hair.< /p>

First hurdle crossed......lap band came out on 25th Sept! Recouping at home now. Very sore,much more sore than when they put it in. I guess because the tissue had grown around the port and whatnot?

5 incisions, 4 of which are from the original implant. The top 3, including the on where they cut the port out are the most tender. I have a funny sort of feeling in my stomach. Not quite nausea, not hunger. Feels......hollow? I don't have any food restrictions, but I can't eat much, not hungry anyway.

I went into surgery at 1030-ish and I think I was out by 1200-ish. I didn't use the little self medicating thingo even once.....I didn't realize I even had it! Never called the nurse. They came in and kept asking what my pain level was out of 10 (10 being 'kill me now'). I kept telling them that just laying in the bed it was about a 1 and about a 4-5 when I coughed, which I was doing a lot on purpose because I felt like I had all this phlegm half in, half out of my lungs! I didn't have one of those spirometer things to use, so thought coughing was best kept up. I said, "if I can get up and walk around a bit I can assess the pain level better."

But they didn't want me up.....which is odd because usually they're trying to get you up and around the minute you peek an eye open! They said my oxygen level was just a little low, and to breathe deeply, through the nose and out the mouth. I said, well there's a problem with that, because my septum is so jacked up I can only partially breathe through one side and none on the other! So I started breathing real deep through my mouth and the levels increased dramatically, immediately. They still wouldn't drop the bed rails, and I couldn't work out how to myself! By now I needed to pee so bad I thought I'd wet the bed, but they wouldn't let me get up! I finally used the nurse call button and said, "look I just need to pee, really really bad, and I'm NOT using a bed pan or that plastic funnel thing. I would like to go to the toilet like an adult, please, and then I will do whatever you want." they were really nice, but I wonder if they thought I wouldn't be steady on my feet and would fall over and crush one of them or something! Haha

The nurse finally agreed, and said she couldn't believe I could walk around without having any pain meds or losing my balance. I have to tell you that when I finally got to the toilet, it was THE SINGLE MOST PLEASURABLE SENSATION I HAVE EVER FELT IN MY LIFE!! It was like, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was there for several minutes......sounded like a cow Pi**ing on a flat rock! Lol.

I changed from my OR gown into my t-shirt and trackies and got back into bed. Watched some tv. Drank a whole litre of Water. Ate some strained chicken Soup and lemon jelly/jello. They finally disconnected the pain pump thing, the saline drip and the oxygen. The nurse came I to check my BP and asked if I was a day patient or overnight. I said I was supposed to be over night but would happily go home if I could get discharged! Didn't see the point of taking up a bed and giving a nurse one more person to look after who didn't truly need it. She said she'd speak with my surgeon.

He came to see me, told me I was a trooper, said he'd write me a script for pain meds and I could go home if I wanted. I was on the phone with my husband before he got out the door!

I was really tired yesterday; kept dozing off while reading or watching tele. Better today but still dosed off. Woke myself up snoring! Hahaha Haven't taken the script pain meds (some derivative of morphine that made my nose itch like crazy) have just used Nurofen and Panadeine forte, once. I'm mostly still just tired and dried out, both of which I think is anesthesia side effects. So just taking it easy and drinking a lot of Water. My ankles are pretty swollen.I think they pumped me too full of saline in hospital. So I've just been keeping them elevated. Aside from that, I could honestly probably go back to work. Have a follow up on Monday with the surgeon to look at my incisions and discuss date for the sleeve- cant wait to get a date for THAT.

Back to work Tuesday.

That's about the only update I've got.

Hope everyone is doing well. Hope Lila is on the mend. Boy she's had a bad run, I really feel for her.

Hi guys' date=' well we are going to meet for Breakfast at the Steam Cafe for Breakfast at Southbank from 8am for all that want to join us for a catch up. Let me know and I will PM you my mobile so you can call if can't find us. So far there is myself, Kelliv and a new sleever Kath (on 25/9). Hope anyone in Brissy can join us as great to hear and see everyone's journey

Beth and Aussie Kelloff, hope you get this message early enough. Definitely next time Kayargh, maybe we can do a get together at some stage down the coast as well[/quote']

Bugger, would have loved too, but have my neices 1st birthday party and have promised to help out early. Plus finish her cake too.

Were we still meeting up on 6th???? Was talked about ages ago but had it in my diary?

Susie I was tired for the whole first month only started feeling better once I was on all food. And now have never felt better.

Thanks Kelliv, I'm sure to be back to normal (whatever normal mean!) in no time.

Initially I wanted to have it done before christmas, but now I'm thinking of just after Christmas. I'm not ashamed of getting the sleeve, but I don't want anyone to know. Becausei don't want to deal with the BS of everybody telling me what they think when I didn't ask. As it is, I'm already getting the old 'self mutilation' lectures for not only having had the band in, but now having it out. I can only imagine the sleeve will be much the same reaction.

If i can avoid major functions that revolve around food i could do it in Nov. But My brother in law is getting married in November so that's out, because I'd be on liquids....a dead give away. If I do it between his wedding and Christmas then Will be on liquids or puree for Christmas, so again dead give away. There is nothing between Christmas and Easter involving food that I can't easily avoid, so I think after Christmas is the go. Hopefully my surgeon will be able to do it then! Would like to be sleeved by the new year, start it off right foot!

Cheers!

Susie I was tired for the whole first month only started feeling better once I was on all food. And now have never felt better.

Glad to hear it won't be permanent! It's insane how exhausted I am from not doing anything!

Just one more week to go til I'm on soft foods :)

Just one more week to go til I'm on soft foods :)

It's so strange how different surgeons/dieticians have completely different schedules. I was sleeved 3 weeks ago today but am already on the "transition diet". I was only on liquids for the first day in hospital, then mush/purée for 2 weeks and now transition to "normal" diet.

Thanks Kelliv' date=' I'm sure to be back to normal (whatever normal mean!) in no time.

Initially I wanted to have it done before christmas, but now I'm thinking of just after Christmas. I'm not ashamed of getting the sleeve, but I don't want anyone to know. Becausei don't want to deal with the BS of everybody telling me what they think when I didn't ask. As it is, I'm already getting the old 'self mutilation' lectures for not only having had the band in, but now having it out. I can only imagine the sleeve will be much the same reaction.

If i can avoid major functions that revolve around food i could do it in Nov. But My brother in law is getting married in November so that's out, because I'd be on liquids....a dead give away. If I do it between his wedding and Christmas then Will be on liquids or puree for Christmas, so again dead give away. There is nothing between Christmas and Easter involving food that I can't easily avoid, so I think after Christmas is the go. Hopefully my surgeon will be able to do it then! Would like to be sleeved by the new year, start it off right foot!

Cheers![/quote']

Hi Kristi, sounds like a good strategy, however I am finding that I am far more conscious of what I eat in social situations than everyone is around me. On these occasions you could just say you have an upset stomach? Depending on when the op happened in November you may even be just back on solids by Christmas New Year. I was only on liquid for one week, puree for 2 weeks and soft food for one week, so not the 6 weeks I was originally expecting. I understand about not wanting people to know. Initially I only told some of my family who were all very supportive and my best friend who wasn't and still isn't even though she can see how well I am doing. (She's jealous which is strange) She even went on a diet the same day I had the operation to prove that surgery wasn't the answer and that I should have been able to do it the traditional way. I only found out a month later when she said she hadn't had a drink for a month. (She drinks a lot) Her diet is over and she's back drinking, so I suppose her lesson failed and no doubt she's feeling embarrassed, but she is still ignoring the fact that I've already lost 17kg and look fantastic. Not once has she commented about my weight loss and asked how much I have lost. I've since told others who have all been fine. I am sure you will time your surgery to suit your situation and for privacy, so good luck. Cheers

It's so strange how different surgeons/dieticians have completely different schedules. I was sleeved 3 weeks ago today but am already on the "transition diet". I was only on liquids for the first day in hospital' date=' then mush/purée for 2 weeks and now transition to "normal" diet.[/quote']

Wow that was quick!

Yes I take vit d mutli Vitamin and hair n nail they are big my Im diabetic and they are horse tablets,I had to take them the first nite after the op I dont have trouble getting them down.

Im going to buy some sustagen today see how that goes.

I like mashed bake Beans and avocardo thats nice and have a mash weet bix for brekky but cannot eat a whole one.

I just cannot wait to eat a sandwich or hald.

Cheers Julie

Kristi so glad that went off without a hitch! I'm planning to ask for a date in January sometime after Christmas and new year. We are going away to the gold coast 1st week of January and I really don't want to ruin the kids holiday if I have issues. At least this way I have the rest of the year to recover lol!!!!!!

Next holiday I might be able to don a bikini! Well not with my baby battered body! I hope we get surgery dates close by, I need a recovery buddy lol!

Hi Kristi, sounds like a good strategy, however I am finding that I am far more conscious of what I eat in social situations than everyone is around me. On these occasions you could just say you have an upset stomach? Depending on when the op happened in November you may even be just back on solids by Christmas New Year. I was only on liquid for one week, puree for 2 weeks and soft food for one week, so not the 6 weeks I was originally expecting. I understand about not wanting people to know. Initially I only told some of my family who were all very supportive and my best friend who wasn't and still isn't even though she can see how well I am doing. (She's jealous which is strange) She even went on a diet the same day I had the operation to prove that surgery wasn't the answer and that I should have been able to do it the traditional way. I only found out a month later when she said she hadn't had a drink for a month. (She drinks a lot) Her diet is over and she's back drinking, so I suppose her lesson failed and no doubt she's feeling embarrassed, but she is still ignoring the fact that I've already lost 17kg and look fantastic. Not once has she commented about my weight loss and asked how much I have lost. I've since told others who have all been fine. I am sure you will time your surgery to suit your situation and for privacy, so good luck. Cheers

I wish the 'upset stomach' explanation would work, but believe me, it won't. Most of my family in the US would take that, say 'oh what a shame' keep eating and mind their own business. But my husbands family is far more pushy and apparently if you choose not to eat or drink something then it just wrecks it for everyone else. Not sure how that works exactly so cue rolling of the eyes and avoiding "wrecking bit for everyone else"! Hahaha

Still, my surgeon might have other ideas so I will know in Monday. In meantime, just trying to keep up my fluids. Still can't tell if I'm very slightly nauseous or very slightly empty and hungry. I did have an Optifast shake earlier which quelled it for a bit, but the feeling is back. I tried eating dinner with my husband last night: steak and a veggie casserole of sorts, but a few bites in and I was feeling like I might pop.

I feel more human today though. Boy anesthesia sure does a number on you! :-)

Kristi so glad that went off without a hitch! I'm planning to ask for a date in January sometime after Christmas and new year. We are going away to the gold coast 1st week of January and I really don't want to ruin the kids holiday if I have issues. At least this way I have the rest of the year to recover lol!!!!!!

Next holiday I might be able to don a bikini! Well not with my baby battered body! I hope we get surgery dates close by, I need a recovery buddy lol!

Hi mimz,

I wouldn't mind having a recovery buddy nearby as well! My surgeon is Dr Blamey. I had my band out at Waverley Private, but when the nurse was asking me about my plans, she wasn't familiar with the sleeve, and wondered aloud if they did it there.

Do you know where you'll be having your sleeve done, when you get a date?

:)

Omg, what an emotional day I'm having today. I'm so teary, crying at the drop of a hat! I've cried for Jill Meagher, I've cried because my children are away for the next 10 days and it's so quiet here. Ive cried because I have an infection in one of the inscisions and im still awaiting tests to see if its golden staph. I've cried because I just bought a new 55" TV and although I have begged, pleaded and even tried to pay people, I cannot get anyone to help me carry it so it's stuck in the back of my car. I've cried over songs on the radio...and it's not even 10am!! Oh I'm a mess today.