Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi Susan from Sydney here. Sleeved last Monday 29th April' date=' and doing ok so far. I'm on the north side of Sydney (mid north shore, sort of) and went to the OClinic at Crows Nest. I'd love to meet up with others - especially veterans but I'm happy to share my experiences with the pre-op'ers too.

Like others here I've found it hard to navigate the Aus forum, though it looks good. They need an app for those of us who use the phone for this sort if thing.

BTW v happy so far with OClinic/Dr Craig Taylor. I feel I received excellent surgical and post-op care (Mater Hosp) that focused on me leaving the hospital in v good shape. Four nights in and home on a Friday, so hubby could care for me on the weekend. Felt perfect. I'm in awe of those who came out of hospital after only a couple of nights - made of tougher stuff than me!

Re Optifast, I've been on it sooo many times in my attempts to lose weight. I hate that it is all sweet stuff plus a very "lame" Soup. What is wrong with some savoury options? A tip: follow Optifast instructions to the letter and you'll feel less hungry. I have kept putting milk in my tea and coffee at times, figuring it can't do much harm on such a low cal diet. Pre-op I ditched the milk and found I went into ketosis v quickly and hunger pains were kept at bay. And I think it really does make a difference to the size of your liver. I don't lose heaps of weight on it, but I am always slow at weight loss. Good luck to all!

I haven't yet made it through all 87 pages of this thread, but I'm sure I will. It looks great.[/quote']

Welcome Susan and glad to hear your surgery went well.

Wow' date=' Lissa you are 10 kg from your surgeon's goal! Congrats! Do you have another goal in mind? After all you went through I am so pleased for you!

As for me I am so impatient for the 14th! I had thought I was 8 days away yesterday but it is really 9 days counting tomorrow. I have told very few people but my husband thinks I should tell my boss. He will be discreet so I will probably tell him tomorrow. The choices I have made about who I have told have been a bit random. My husband obviously. My mother. My best friend. Another good friend. My godmother and another lady at church. The office admin at work because she was confiding to me that she is having a hysterectomy and asking my advice. Everyone on an unrelated Internet forum I go to (but they don't know me in real life).

It is weird how I have felt open to tell some people but not others. I feel the most odd about not telling people at work. But I am a manager and I don't want the focus to be on my weight but my work. I figure I will wait until I have lost enough weight that people are really noticing and maybe then I will tell. I guess they would look stupid being negative then. But maybe not, who knows![/quote']

Hi Misty, I was a bit like you initially. Told some people and not others. Most people know now 9 months out although there are still members of my husbands family that I haven't told as I couldn't be bothered with their uneducated comments. I have always found it easier to tell strangers and if someone asks me outright how I have lost the weight I tell them the truth as I don't want people to think this weight loss is likely without having the surgery. It is very unusual for people to lose this much and keep it off simply through diet and exercise, but some people still think it's a cop out or the easy option if you have surgery, including my best friend & business partner. Not once has she asked me about my weight loss or made any comment after 9 months and 30kgs down. Our relationship is no longer the same and I am disappointed that she is jealous and narrow minded. I quietly go about my business and look as good as I can around her. She goes green when others compliment me on my weight loss!

I find it hard to believe she still treats you that way. I would have such a hard time staying professional. Is she a good friend to you in other ways?

I have a spreadsheet with my predicted weight loss and spots for the real loss. It is so detailed, even has all kinds of milestones like my uni weight etc. I showed my husband and he thinks I'm bonkers. In the spreadsheet it takes me 18 months to get to my goal. I wonder if it will really take that long.

I wonder how puppyphat is doing.

Kelliv, this may sound odd but it was years before I noticed my brother was wearing glasses. He is always my brother and I love him just the same at all weights, with any haircut (even the uniquely Australian mullet he sported in his younger days... we are both in our 50s now) and regardless of his eyewear, apparently. I looked at his eyes plenty in those years, just not at the frames around them (this was in the late 70s I should add... "Owl" frames were in abundance). Could your friend simply be like me... not noticing fluctuations in your weight because she focuses on you as a person, not external factors? She sees you every day, it seems, unlike others who might only see you every few weeks or more.

Hi guys and welcome all the new people.

Have been ridiculously flat out with work, which is why I haven't been around much. I've recently picked up a position at Task Force Argos and I start there on the 13th. So I've been bust wrapping up stuff where I am at the moment. I have mixed feelings about moving on, because I love the people I currently work with but after 5 years I'm ready for a new challenge.

Congratulations to everyone's continued success and to everyone else's commitment to a healthier life.

I've hit a little bit of a plateau I guess. I'm not stressing about it. I know with the calories I consume the weightloss will kick off again. I have days where I eat a little bit more than others but I know that is related to when I have big exercise days, so I'm not phased about that either.

Have a great day,

Deano

It's great to hear from you, Dean! Congratulations on your new gig. I hope we can have a Brisbane VST meet-up soon. I'd be happy to volunteer my home for this. I live an easy walk from the Cleveland line. I also work in the CBD and would be available for lunch or an afternoon coffee.< /p>

We're probably overdue for a Brisbane lunch catch up!

Hi lessismore I still can't believe how little I can eat, I am totally amazed by it all I was 6 weeks out last Friday and haven`t been hungry once. Head hunger is another story but I am getting through it. Hope you are doing well.

I wonder how puppyphat is doing.

I'm still here, I just don't post very much any more.

I'm actually really struggling with my body. I'm wearing size 6 jeans that are hanging off me and I weigh less than 55kg. I am still a fat girl and need to lose more weight.

I'm not happy, I'm obsessed and I hate my body more now than I did 60kgs ago.

I'm sorry if this is a big downer for the newbies, and I'm sorry for not addressing everybody and all your successes individually. You have all done amazingly.

I'm struggling to eat and will some days eat less than 10 grapes in the whole day.

This is the reason for my absence from the forums of late. I hope you all understand.

If anybody in Sydney wants to catch up, I'm in.

I am free for lunch next week in Brisbane CBD if anyone would like to meet. Does that suit you?

Monday works for me. I'm being sleeved Tuesday!

Puppyphat, I am sorry you are feeling that way. I hope you keep posting and keeping it real. What can we do to support you? Do you think it would help to talk to a therapist about this? You did this to be healthy and feel better, right? I hope things get better for you.

I'm still here' date=' I just don't post very much any more.

I'm actually really struggling with my body. I'm wearing size 6 jeans that are hanging off me and I weigh less than 55kg. I am still a fat girl and need to lose more weight.

I'm sorry if this is a big downer for the newbies, and I'm sorry for not addressing everybody and all your successes individually. You have all done amazingly.

I'm struggling to eat and will some days eat less than 10 grapes in the whole day.

This is the reason for my absence from the forums of late. I hope you all understand.

If anybody in Sydney wants to catch up, I'm in.[/quote']

Hi puppyphat

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. Did you go through the same clinic as me for your surgery - Circle of Care at Baulkham Hills? Even if you didn't I think you should reach out to your GP and get a referral to a Psychologist and a dietician. I completely understand the obsession side of things - I am at 61kg and if I put on a kilo those old feelings of failure and loosing my grip on my weightloss rear their ugly head. It is totally irrational and I know it so I keep telling myself that.

The funny thing about eating now is the less you eat the more you feel like not eating so even if you don't feel like it try and have something to chew on every two- three hours and you will start to feel better. You have had you challenges with the glandular fever so be kind to yourself. Don't worry about your weight going up - you have to just tell yourself that you are still way in the healthy BMI range. I don't know if this helps but don't forget that you do have us to confide in and we all understand. This is a huge life change and a lifetime of habits and attitudes to change as well - talking to a professional may be a big help. :-)

My challenge over the last few days is that I have had gastro! Still feeling not good and throwing up on a small empty stomach is a new experience! I think I am getting slightly better but was supposed to be starting back at work tomorrow after over a year off!

Monday works for me. I'm being sleeved Tuesday!

Puppyphat' date=' I am sorry you are feeling that way. I hope you keep posting and keeping it real. What can we do to support you? Do you think it would help to talk to a therapist about this? You did this to be healthy and feel better, right? I hope things get better for you.[/quote']

Hi Brisbane Sleevers, lunch next Monday is on in the City. Let's meet at midday. Shelley what is the name of the restaurant we went to last time? Dean and Shelley are you in too? Cheers Kelli

I'm still here, I just don't post very much any more.

If anybody in Sydney wants to catch up, I'm in.

Mate you know me, I'm not going to dance around it - this sounds pretty serious. I think you need to speak to some medical professionals to help you get it sorted. You clearly know it's a problem by the way you speak about it, which is a good thing. You should be eating WAY more than 10 grapes a day by now.

I'm a bit lost for words, but that doesn't mean I'm not worried or don't care.

Keep us updated,

Deano

Hi Brisbane Sleevers, lunch next Monday is on in the City. Let's meet at midday. Shelley what is the name of the restaurant we went to last time? Dean and Shelley are you in too? Cheers Kelli

I'm keen but I might have to play this one by ear. Monday is my first shift at Argos, so I don't know if I'll be in a position to slink off!