Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistically When Can I Go To The Beach

hello,

I am totally new to this forum. Wish I had found it months ago...

I will have my 7th visit with my family doc on April 26th. After that all of my paperwork goes over to my surgeon's office and they send it out for insurance approval. (BCBS of AL). The coordinator tells me this takes 10 to 14 days. Assuming I am approved I meet with the surgeon, so now we are looking at let's say May 17th. Then we schedule and hopefully I can be sleeved by the end of the following week. Does that sound realistic?

Anyway, my whole extended family is going to the beach for my grandmother's 90th birthday and my parents 50th birthdays. We were supposed to go in late July but my sister is now pregnant with twins and cannot travel then so now it looks like June 21st we will be away. Now, as beach vacations go absolutely nothing will be expected of me. We will have a full kitchen and do not plan on eating out so my diet can be well controlled. I am okay with trying to get to the beach for just a couple of hours a day and if that is all I accomplish than that is okay. My husband may take the kids to a Water park one day. Just being with my family is all I need. In fact, I can keep my grandmother company back at the beach house mostly. I will have lots of help from a big group of people who love and support me. So does this sound realistic? What if my surgery isn't for another week? if I have to go to the beach on the 21st what is the latest I can realistically have the surgery? At what point would you put it off?

I really appreciate any and all feedback.

I should add that the beach is about 8 hours away. So I would be away from my medical people but near great hospitals.

I went back to work on day 4 and I was fine. The beach is sooooo much less than work. I would say you'll be fine as long as you can control your diet (which you can) and you stay out of the Water.< /p>

4 or even 3 weeks out from your surgery will be fine. I went back to work 1 week after surgery. There is really little to no pain after the first week. I didn't have any pain at all but a lot of people have it for 1 to 2 weeks out. You will be fine. You will be able to walk and everything. Stairs are a little painful going up for a couple of weeks but not much more than that. You won't have as much energy but it doesn't take a lot of energy to walk down to the beach to sit or lay down. You will be amazed at how fast you recover. I wouldn't postpone the trip if I were you. You will be ready to get out of the house and have a little fun....you will deserve it!!! Good luck in your journey!

My doctor gave me the go ahead for any and all physical activity at 2 weeks out. I said: "Horseback riding?" and he said, "Sure!." So I did.

Everyone is different. Your mileage may vary.