Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love your post, its very inspirational! I'm 3 weeks out and I haven't lost any weight since over a week ago. Do you remember if this is normal? I haven't started exercising yet, but I was just going over the schedule at the YMCA last night and I plan to start monday morning! What types of exercise do you suggest?

I do about 30 minutes on the treadmill, then another 45 on various weights. I alternate days doing legs , then upper body. I really recommend you spend a little money getting a trainer for a couple of sessions to get you started on a routine program, then review it after a couple of months as things get easier. I need to be focused and know what I have to do when I'm at the gym. My trainer started me doing alot of balance exercises at first. Funny, I never thought I had any balance issues but found out I had NO balance. Lunges and squats, rowing, I've done them all. I dont like spinning classes, but found out I kind of enjoy the rowing, leg squats and weights.

That is really great & very inspiring!

I look forward to going to the gym & being able to work out. Right now I am too embarrassed with the size I am to go work out. :unsure:

I started at the gym at 8 weeks out. I was at the point of who cares (size 22) and I don't know these people anyway. I will tell you after working out at the same time during the week, after about 6-8 months many strangers have come up to me to congratulate me on my progress, most of them men. It's a real boost getting positive reinforcement from people I didn't know. Now I look forward to seeing them. You will always have the slinky girls who are there to be seen, but you have alot more of those who are seriously trying to get and stay healthy. You can also hire a personal trainer for a couple sessions to come to your home and put together a program for you until you are more comfortable being at the gym. You can do it!!!

You've done a great job and deserve to be proud of not only losing the weight but maintaining the loss! I, personally, find maintenance very easy but I know that for a lot of people it's challenging.

Congrats to you! Your hard work has obviously paid off.

~Cheri

I've wondered how people do after a year or earlier, once they get to goal. How effective is the sleeve? If not as effective as when you started - how is it now - does it still help you eat less?

Please give any info about how the sleeve works after a period of time.

would love to hear from anyone else here who is somewhat of a "seasoned member".

Once you're totally healed and eating fairly normal (I'd guess somewhere between 9-15 months) your sleeve is as big as it's going to get. It would take actual EFFORT on the part of the sleever to stretch the sleeve out - not just, "I'm going to eat a cookie or a piece of pie today" but "I'm going to overeat to the point of sickness and pain every single day until I have a larger capacity." Even then, there's only so much stretch to the sleeve so you're not ever going to eat half a pizza again.

I am nearly two years out and my capacity is finally to a very comfortable point. I can eat one scrambled egg and one piece of turkey sausage or one slice of thin crust pizza or a half cup of Soup and half a grilled cheese sandwich. I still cannot eat much at one sitting and I still find myself needing to track my food. Not so much because I fear I've eaten more than the 1,200-1,400 calories per day I aim for, but rather because I'm often short by several hundred calories. Even eating a cookie when I want or indulging in a piece of chocolate each day doesn't push my calories over my personal limits.

So yes, the sleeve is JUST as effective more than one year out. I can only imagine that how I feel today (at 21 months out) is how I'm going to feel in two, or even three years. There really isn't a honeymoon phase with this surgery, though weight does drop off more quickly in the beginning. There is absolutely no reason that I couldn't work hard and lose another ten pounds over the next two or three months if I chose to do so - my sleeve still works just fine and the math of calories in vs. calories burned is the same regardless of how long ago I opted for surgery. Weight just comes off much more slowly the closer you are to your ideal body weight.

Hope this helps.

~Cheri

Thank you both, seasoned sleevers! Your stories really help to motivate. I hope we all find similar success for ourselves!