Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression after Surgery

Hi,

This is a hard post because I'm really opening up and sharing something with people who might not understand, and not knowing me might think I'm a whack job. lol

I had surgery 11 days ago. I have been very depressed and upset the last couple days but I didn't know why til now. I had to go through so much to get the surgery, and I was so scared of surgery that I focused on that rather than what post-surgery be like. I understood logically that things would take time, I understood it wasn't a magic cure intellectually. But my coping mechanism must've tricked me into thinking things would be so different after surgery. Now my expectations are smashed. I'm very sad because the same problems I had before surgery, I still have. I don't feel any progress, I don't feel any restriction. I just feel a ton of pain still (I had gall bladder removed and lap band laparoscopically), and I am healing slower than others. I'm almost regretting it instead of feeling proud that I accomplished a lot to get here.

Again I understand intellectually what this process is about. I haven't even had my first fill yet, but I can't shake this depression. I am extremely sad. Has anyone experienced this? I feel really alone about it.

Kiana, depression after surgery is really a pretty common event. Whether it's from the anesthesia, your body trying to heal itself, or just the "let-down" after taking such a huge step...many people feel depression sometime soon after surgery.

Unfortunately, when you're depressed, your emotions rule. Your mind might know why you decided to be banded, your mind knows it's too soon to expect anything, but it's hard to be optimistic when you're emotions are in a spin.

Try to give it some time. Do the things that are normally good for depression. Try to walk, drink your Water, spend some time in the sunshine, etc. If the depression doesn't get better, call your physician.

Cindy

You are feeling emotional stuff, here. Logic doesn't have a lot to do with it. I don't think it sounds too weird. Look at the excitement a new mom-to-be feels, and often times post partum depressions arrives along with the baby. Confusing. There was so much excitement before.

When I was younger, I was lucky enough to be chosen as a flight attendent. After six weeks of pretty intensive training, and being sent to my new domicle, the first night there I bawled. What did I think I was doing? Moving away from my family, etc.

Also, I cried on my wedding night. I really wanted to be married to this wonderful man. Now, he really didn't understand! LOL!

My daughter was so excited to be going away to college, and the same thing happened. We got her settled in, and she cried when we left. She didn't understand either. She really wanted to be there.

You are so newly out of surgery. Eleven days isn't very long, and you may not see any progress for awhile. This is a time to be healing, not losing. If you do lose some, that's a bonus.

Just, hang in there. Take good care of yourself. Keep posting. We will help {{{hugs}}}

Hi Kiana,

I'm so thankful you wrote. I posted a thread that is very similar to yours earlier today, and cried all the way through it. I'm only 3 days out, and I hurt more than I expected. I feel so blue, and now I'm wondering what in the world I've done to my body. It feels weird to drink even a little bit of a yogurt smoothie --- like an almost-painful-pressure in my upper chest. What is that?? A week ago I could've eaten an entire cow, but I've been working on the same 8-ounce smoothie for two days!

I did the same thing you did -- I researched, I planned, I got myself all ready and now I'm wondering how I got here :Banane27: But I take a lot of comfort in the postings from others who remind me that surgery of any kind is tough on your body. It takes time to heal, and going through the sadness is part of the process. See if you can find my post from earlier today in this same area of the board ("Lap-Band Support"), and maybe some of the responses will help.

Hang in there, sweetheart. Know that you are not alone in this process. You have sisters (and probably brothers too!) walking the same road with you ... although it's more of a shuffle than a real walk so far :lol:

I'm sending you all my best wishes, and many (gentle) hugs!!!!

I had HORRIBLE depression 4th, 5th, and 6th day post op. I was feeling so low I couldn't stop crying when I was alone. My friend attributes it to the sudden stop in junk food. Like most addicts, (which I think we are) when you stop the drug of choice (in this case food) you experience lows, and I think she was absolutely correct. That is just me though. But I think it could be that. Mine was anyways. Could be a number of things.

P.S. Kiana - We're neighbors! I got banded by Dr. Montgomery at NWWLS in Everett, but I live in the south end. So even though I can't come over & give you a hug, I want you to know that I'm virtually hugging you right now. If you want to talk, drop me a Private Message ... :Banane27:

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. I'm sorry any of you went through this, but it is comforting to know I'm not crazy. lol

It was unexpected, no literature I ever read told me to expect this but I'm sure I'll feel better soon, as soon as I am healed up more.

Hugs to everyone, thank you.

Hi Kiana38,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are feeling low, its not a nice place to be...I too felt sad and low after surgery, especially not being able to eat what I wanted anymore. It's amazing all the different emotions you feel, but I really think that I was going through a learning curve that we all must take once being banded. It's pretty daunting to actually think that we no long are our former selves...I think you have made the right decision to turn your life around and become a more healthier person. Please just try and think of all the positives as to why you made this decision in the first place. I love reading all the lap band before and after stories. It always gives me hope and reassurance that it's going to be me one day on those pages...I hope your feeling better and if not, go and see your surgeon or GP.

Regards

Sarah

Hi, have you tried entering the term "post-op depression" or something like that in the search button up at the top of the page? I have definitely read many bandsters who post these kinds of feelings about a week or so out of surgery, so you are not the Lone Ranger, by any means.

You have done a lot of work to get to where you are, and now you are going to have a lot more work to do, it's true. But, look at the Before and After pictures...read the thread about those who have lost 100+ pounds...read Bandiversary posts...read all the positive things, and learn how to make the small changes that lead to happy bandster life.

You will get there, if that is where you want to go!

Good luck, and you will be just fine,

Cindy

I am almost 4 months out from my surgery and still to this day if I don't get enough Protein or fluids, I end up feeling depressed and grouchy as hell!

In the early days I used clear Liquid Protein called zero carb Isopure, and also the unflavored Unjury powder, I used in in broth, Jello, whatever. Now I sprinkle it in all kinds of things when I feel the need to bump my protein. I bought the Isopure at GNC, it comes in bottles similar to the Sobe drinks, and has 40 g. of protein per bottle, it comes in several flavors. The Unjury I ordered on line, and use it still, the website is www.unjury.com . Try it and see if upping your protein intake doesn't help, it will also help curb your appetite some if that is an issue. And like Cindy said, cruise through the before & after pics, that always gives me hope. You have found the best support site around I believe, all you have to do is reach out and someone is there to listen and offer any help they might have. Even if we can't DO anything, we will always be here to listen and offer a cyber shoulder!! Good Luck to you, you made the right decision, and very soon, you will begin to see that. You will be in my prayers tonight.

Kat

Hi my name is melia and I had my surgery july 6th 2006.

I was depressed too and I was also wondering what the heck I had just done to myself..

Let me tell you as Iam now 1 month and 5 days out,and getting ready for my first fill on the 18th..(down 23 lbs)

I was in the same boat.. lol..

the best thing for me was the phone..lol.. I know that it sounds strange but talking to my friends and family really helped me through it..

Just remember it took alot of guts to go through with this surgery and you did it!!

And also remember that alot of us here know what you are going through and know that we are here to support each other through this journey..

I hope this helps and know that you are in my prayers..

melia

Hi Kiana. I am in Tacoma. I had complications at the beginning which led to depression. I am sure the last thing you want to hear is that it will get better. But it is true. It does get better. Everyone on this site has such great information to share and they are so supportive. If you ever want to chat, send me a PM. We have a support group that meets at the start of every month. It is always nice to have another bandster there. Try and keep your head up and know that this too shall pass. Smiles.

Hi Kiana:

I too add my words of encouragement. I was SO depressed post-op I would lie in bed crying wondering what in the world did I do to myself. I called the clinic director of the hospital where I was banded and she was wonderful. I called with the purpose of getting a referral for a therapist but she ended up talking to me instead. We talked twice the first week and she e-mails regularly to see how I am doing. I thought I had lost my mind. I am convinced the pain meds made me delusional (my surgeon said some people see "things" on the wall with the pain med). The next two weeks post-op I had a series of crisis type situations with my family and that certainly did not help my mental state. I have now been post-op a month and while I still have those feelings of "why did I do this" here and there, I am mostly feeling up and positive. Prayer helps as well as this website. I had studied this, researched it, and really overdid the preparing for the surgery that when I ended up feeling miserable the first week it truly blindsided me!!!! I never saw the depression, nausea or delusional drugged feeling coming.

So my advice is to hang in there....miserable or not....be honest about how you feel on these pages and know you are not alone. That is a comfort!!!! People have been so nice!!! Let them be nice to you too!!!:biggrin1:

Hi everyone,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wanted to tell you all that I'm so grateful for your kind words about depression after surgery. I'm right in the middle of it, and want to cry all the time. I too am so surprised about the amount of pain, the sadness, the vulnerability, the worry. I posted about this elsewhere, and have gotten a lot of great responses, but am finding such comfort in this thread as well.

Thank you all for your kindness and comfort!

Much love,

Catey

I did not experience this at all however, as a nurse, I can tell you that the drastic change in DIET can do strange things to your body and your mind. I had a period for 14 days.... 14 days. It was due tothe DRASTIC change in my eating habits. You have shocked you body and it has to respond in some way. Mine was a period yours is depression. When I started eating more..... it went away..... yours will too.

banded 6/21/06

-40 pounds..... YAHOO!

NO FILL YET.....